View Poll Results: How many max players per team should the next Phantasy Star (console) have?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think 6 players is perfect for the next Phantasy Star (console)

4 28.57%
  • I'd like to see more than 6 players. Like a MMORPG almost

2 14.29%
  • I'd rather have less players. Maybe 5, maybe even less

8 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking beyond PSO & PSU

Let's assume Sega uses a different name for the next version of their console RPG. I'll use Phantasy Star: Galaxy OR perhaps Phantasy Star: Generation3 (LOL at PStar3 Genesis reference).

What do you think Sega should do as far as online goes? Make it almost like a MMORPG? Or keep the current team limit? Or maybe even shrink teams a bit more?

Now's the chance to sound off! As their next console project is already underway. I think it's fair to say (judging by how they are moving with PSPinfinity, PSPi) that we'll be seeing hard news in 2011 with a rollout of beta in 2011 or 2012 at latest.

Please participate in the Poll. SEGA does read what their fans say, and RubyEclipse has cited PSO-W before on the official SEGA forums.

Thank you for your participation
    Last edited by Roger Triton; Nov 27, 2010 at 06:51 PM.
    Triton. At your service.

Point me out the source of your "facts" first.

Anyway, I like 4. An MMORPG could turn out really interesting, but there's so many things that can go wrong in them. I'd rather not. Now, to decide on how many people can be in a party at one time, I can't say. Let's say hypothetically we put 6 PSO players together, like there was in PSU. That would be ridiculously easy. In PSU there were more challenging (a term I use lightly here) enemies, making a party increase understandable. However, 6 wasn't even necessary. So unless they seriously amp up the amount of enemies, or make the game a lot harder (borderline frustrating, which is a no-no in today's world of "waaah difficulty" gamers), 6 is out. 5 Could work, as could 4. Any less and it just doesn't feel like there's as much teamwork.

One thing I would like to see in this game though, is NPC helpers. During my time soloing in PSO, I always would've liked to have partners, even if they barely contribute. PSU took a step forward in that regard, and I hope they keep them.

Shouldn't this be in the PSO2 section?
    Quote Originally Posted by loukaras View Post
    PSO-World is a game?

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Six is a good number. Any more and it gets difficult to coordinate a good strategy. Any less and it limits the complexity of situations you can throw at a given team. Four players doesn't leave too many ways to mix up the tank/DPS/healer/support balance.

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    Six is a good number. Any more and it gets difficult to coordinate a good strategy. Any less and it limits the complexity of situations you can throw at a given team. Four players doesn't leave too many ways to mix up the tank/DPS/healer/support balance.
    PSO. The only roles are damage dealer and support (Resta/SDJZ)
    Coming Soon!

4 is perfect. 6 is too many specially when u have events with enemies that have 50%HP
    Orius - M.Newman lvl180 MF20 ---- Megalodon V9.0 - M.Cast lvl180 fG20/GM20
    _______ YOmap - M.Beast lvl104 PT20 ---- ダークエンジェル F.Human lvl57 AF11________

JP PSU
    www.psupedia.info/User:Orius

Quote Originally Posted by SStrikerR View Post
    So unless they seriously amp up the amount of enemies, or make the game a lot harder (borderline frustrating, which is a no-no in today's world of "waaah difficulty" gamers), 6 is out. 5 Could work, as could 4. Any less and it just doesn't feel like there's as much teamwork.
    So obviously not 10 players or anything like that?

Anyone have an idea on the max # of players on a team in FF14? The # max on a team in FF11 is
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia.com
    Players are forced to band into parties in order to defeat more powerful monsters. A regular party has room for six members. Like in many other games, a well balanced party will consist of several archetypes- namely a healer, a tank (the party member with high defense that will be the main target of the monster), and the damage dealer. A well balanced team working together is the only way to defeat many of the game's enemies.
    Last edited by Roger Triton; Nov 27, 2010 at 07:39 PM.
    Triton. At your service.

In 14? Its like 15 or something.
    Coming Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
    In 14? Its like 15 or something.
    You, Sir, are correct.

I asked this guy who has been churning out vids on FF14 for awhile, and he answered it is 15. Plus companies can get together, to form even bigger companies (of 15 max each).

I wonder if that means that a boss like Pandemonium Warden will be available?
    with the drops of:
    Spoiler!
    Triton. At your service.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Quote Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
    PSO. The only roles are damage dealer and support (Resta/SDJZ)
    I'd like the next PS to be slightly more complex than a game that was released a decade ago. Just sayin'.

Six is kind of pushing it, really. I'd like to see less - like most things in PSU, the six-player group size was a bad idea, because it just turned any given excursion into what could be best described as a cluster of hipsters flailing glowsticks are local wildlife/robots.

Keeping the group size smaller makes thinking tactically more important on an individual basis, which is what's really needed for adding depth to the game (depth being something that PSU removed from PSO's formula, almost entirely).

Naturally, the MMO approach would be probably the worst thing they could actually do to the series, because it would take away from (through technical problems alone) the one aspect that made PSO's combat as fun as it needs in order to really stand out: The action.

Action + Any MMO has yet to work out into something amazing, and I really doubt Sonic Team could make it happen, to be honest.

...Besides, I really like the Diablo-style setup that PSO has. It's refreshingly different from everything that goes around, trying to fool people into thinking it's actually an MMO, when it most certainly isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    I'd like the next PS to be slightly more complex than a game that was released a decade ago. Just sayin'.
    The original intent of PSO was to have the three character class groups each having a different role in combat. Hunters dealing the most damage, but having to worry about dodging and defending against enemy attacks, Rangers using guns to make enemies flinch when they're encroaching on an ally (giving said ally an opening to either attack or get out of the way), and Forces to heal and support. With everyone dealing damage, of course.

I wouldn't mind seeing an intention like that return, simply because it's actually a good idea, and the original game's gameplay did in fact work out this way, if everyone in the group had any idea of what they were doing... It's just that a lot of people found it more beneficial to just run in and go balls-out on the offensive, not caring about survival because making things die causes loot to happen, not living.

Unfortunate as it is, PSO's gameplay basically boiled down to "if you're not getting one-shotted, you can survive being hit," and many people will just power through enemies (especially if there's a Force on the team, who is henceforth known as the Designated Babysitter). Granted, the good players will avoid head-on encounters, evade incoming projectiles and deadlock enemies in an advantageous position where they can two-inch-dodge, then retaliate with a combo and, of course, watch their allies' backs.

I think it might be best if whatever's next implements a system of scaling to the number of players in the game, so as to make the game soloable by a single player (which is important), but will also pose a challenge to a group of any particular size. The Offline/Online mode split was similar to this in intention, but in my opinion, it didn't go far enough.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."