Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ranged weapon ideas. Questionable Gunner system. Please read?

I came up with this idea in the car while playing PSP2.

When i was playing i instantly thought of a free range system.
    Think about Gears of war. Bad example but the best one most of you might be firmiliar with.

In PSU and PSP2 the first person mode was a well needed add since the original PSO1&2(4). With that said i think the Right thumbstick (Mouse and Clickers) could be used in a way in wich, When you switch to a range weapon currently on your pallet, a cursor (I have an idea what it looks like in my head) will appear on your screen. This cursor controlls your camera as well as the direction your gun will shoot (Kind of like a third person shooter). if you move it to any corner of the screen the screen will turn accordingly, when useing weapons like Twin Handguns and Crossbows, (Maybe even cards?!) the cursor will show where you will fire! I think being able to move and choosing where to shoot is something we have been very well missing in the Phantasy Star game mechanics. When you put your cursor over the target in wich you want to kill and press in the right thumbstick (Right Click) you lock on! where a noise would register it and your cursor would change to display that you are now locked on to that target.
    I think when your not targeting and fireing with a lock on, your damage should be decreased and your accuracy should be decreased aswell. But not to the point to where locking on becomes manditory to deal damage.

Because the right thumbstick (for console) is currently used to move the camera this idea seems reasonable and would be a more interesting play then only being able to aim directly infront of you with twin handguns when not standing still(In first person).

I had a few weapon ideas wich i think would be interesting to see in Phantasy Star Online Two. I will place them down here.

-Meele-

Gaurd: A one hand Saber/Dagger mix. Where dagger is in the right hand and saber is in the left.

Beta Giga: Two plasma like shields rest on both wrist (if you want to get technical like the Crazy Galactics (Knuckles)) But these will be more like disks that you can only throw a short distance in front of you kind of like yo-yos. I dont have a good example but i am making illistrations if you are interested.

Banes: Basically fist weapons but unlike claws. more like Swords with a base in wich you put your hand into and grip. (more of a stabbing and slashing fast weapon.)

Double Swords: I know that sounds bad, But i came up with a weapon idea where there is a long sword literaly latched onto another somewhere down the line of the blade (more near the hilt however) It will have two hilts and pressing a button will detatch one to launch at your foe (Possibly a photon art like idea?)

Gia Suit: Line shield gave me this idea. I was thinking what if gaurmet aura was more of a actual weapon? Your arms and legs coated with flames! and you do acrobatic attacks! with both kicks and thrusts! My idea would be like the animation when you block an attack in PSU except your actualy punching them with that rebound!

Cross X: Because this was an idea that i havent fully made clear how it will work myself i want you to bear with me. The Cross X would be a weapon where you hold a grip that is connected to a spring loaded blade that rests under your arm. When you attack with this, the blade launches out from under with extreme force damaging your target.

-Ranged-

Twin Rockets: Basically two small rocket launching mechanisms that when locked on shoot two rockets that would follow thier foe untill impact. However this will take a small amount of time to reload and would not be as fast as Twin Handguns.

Twin Shotguns: Basically like Twin handguns but you need to be much closer for the effect to be greater. If you played PSP2 then you know what a charged shotgun shot looks like correct? Well i think that could be broken down into a handgun style!

-Magic-

Spell Blades: As much as i want to be able to cast spells without needing a weapon equipped, I dont know for sure if I will ever be able to again thanks to PSU, however! This gave birth to a idea! Spell blades! Basically one hand weapons that you would slice like a sword but when you swing your spell is cast. This would be faster then a wand but because its more of a rapid fire way of casting (Gi spells should be discluded also Nos now that i think about it) it would be a bit weaker.

This is my proposal! If you are interested please talk to me! I would love to hear your ideas.

The Beta Giga sounds like the one Twin Dagger Photon art in PSU/PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Colaya View Post
    The Beta Giga sounds like the one Twin Dagger Photon art in PSU/PSP.
    I'm glad you pointed that out. Unlike that PA this weapon is ranged even with it's normal attacks. And unlike said comparison it will be horizontal, not vertical. But I suppose yea, the weapon dose share similarities to that photon art. However I would want the size and shape of the weapon to be more like solid discs made of energy(basic, because I would love to see metallic versions of the weapon.).

Quote Originally Posted by Eiden View Post
    I'm glad you pointed that out. Unlike that PA this weapon is ranged even with it's normal attacks. And unlike said comparison it will be horizontal, not vertical. But I suppose yea, the weapon dose share similarities to that photon art. However I would want the size and shape of the weapon to be more like solid discs made of energy(basic, because I would love to see metallic versions of the weapon.).
    Well, I had two PA's in mind. There's the one from PSU that has a bunch of vertical launching hits. But there's also a new Twin Dagger arte in PSP2. You throw the daggers out in front of you, and they spin all around like a pair of buzzsaws.
    Last edited by •Col•; Dec 1, 2010 at 11:14 PM.

Well, I had two PA's in mind. There's the one from PSU that has a bunch of vertical launching hits. But there's also a new Twin Saber arte in PSP2. You throw the daggers out in front of you, and they spin all around like a pair of buzzsaws.
    The weapon would be VERY much like the PSP2 ONLY Twin Dagger photon art. But focus all of its attacks in such a form.

Dont get me wrong, Im a huge fan of twin daggers! But i would like to see more rapid slashing with twin daggers. Rather then throwing them.

I think the lock on with guns is taking the game a bit far away from an RPG. i didnt mind in PSU where you could go into FPS mode, but thats because it was only useful in specific situations and you couldnt move. i think the strafing and lock on system they have now works great for gun weapons. also having a curser apear on your screen would kinda get in the way, and if you switch back and forth between guns and swords alot (and i do) then the time it would take to re-focus, aim, and lock on would give enemys the time to get up close and hit you. this would then force you to switch back to a close range weapon to fight them off. also having the power decreased makes it even more manditory to take the time to go into lock-on mode in order to do the most damage posible. now having a very slight drop in accuracy i dont mind because thats not a big of a punishment.

some of your weapon ideas are pretty cool, hear is what i think...

Gaurd: a single dagger is awfuly similar to a saber. maybe if you used a claw instead it would make it a bit more distinct.

Beta Giga: cool idea. im thinking it could be kind of a mid-range hunter weapon that hits multipal tagets in front of it. have low accuracy but hits fast and and decent damage.

Banes: like you said yourself, its alot like claws. i think these would end up too similar to other weapons, and would not be that distinguished

Gia Suit: you could really combind these and the PSU knuckles into one. maybe have some rare one that look like there on fire and have accrobatic PAs. also im hoping they bring back the knuckles from PSO that acted like enhanced unarmed combat.

Cross X: like a giant balistic knife!

Twin Rockets: sounds awesome! maybe you could have each rocket be able to lock-on to different targets. im thinking of this as more of a crowd control weapon that has high knock back, but low damage.

Twin Shotguns: my original idea was to have both PSO style heavy shots and lighter PSU shotguns. but this could easly replace they PSU ones!

Spell Blades: i beleave some the really rare force weapons in PSO did this. when you attacked it would launch a weak tech (lv 5-10) for no TP cost. not sure how useful they where since i never got any. i can see spell blades working, but it would be kind hard to balence.

Cool ideas, hopefuly some of my comments can help expand your original ideas.
    I request a dance of intellect, put on your thinking shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by MAXrobo View Post
    I think the lock on with guns is taking the game a bit far away from an RPG. i didnt mind in PSU where you could go into FPS mode, but thats because it was only useful in specific situations and you couldnt move. i think the strafing and lock on system they have now works great for gun weapons. also having a curser apear on your screen would kinda get in the way, and if you switch back and forth between guns and swords alot (and i do) then the time it would take to re-focus, aim, and lock on would give enemys the time to get up close and hit you. this would then force you to switch back to a close range weapon to fight them off. also having the power decreased makes it even more manditory to take the time to go into lock-on mode in order to do the most damage posible. now having a very slight drop in accuracy i dont mind because thats not a big of a punishment.

some of your weapon ideas are pretty cool, hear is what i think...

Gaurd: a single dagger is awfuly similar to a saber. maybe if you used a claw instead it would make it a bit more distinct.

Beta Giga: cool idea. im thinking it could be kind of a mid-range hunter weapon that hits multipal tagets in front of it. have low accuracy but hits fast and and decent damage.

Banes: like you said yourself, its alot like claws. i think these would end up too similar to other weapons, and would not be that distinguished

Gia Suit: you could really combind these and the PSU knuckles into one. maybe have some rare one that look like there on fire and have accrobatic PAs. also im hoping they bring back the knuckles from PSO that acted like enhanced unarmed combat.

Cross X: like a giant balistic knife!

Twin Rockets: sounds awesome! maybe you could have each rocket be able to lock-on to different targets. im thinking of this as more of a crowd control weapon that has high knock back, but low damage.

Twin Shotguns: my original idea was to have both PSO style heavy shots and lighter PSU shotguns. but this could easly replace they PSU ones!

Spell Blades: i beleave some the really rare force weapons in PSO did this. when you attacked it would launch a weak tech (lv 5-10) for no TP cost. not sure how useful they where since i never got any. i can see spell blades working, but it would be kind hard to balence.

Cool ideas, hopefuly some of my comments can help expand your original ideas.
    I understand what you mean about the gun system. I really dont want to take away the RPG feel from Phantasy Star. I guess I should have tried to explain it a bit different. But my main objective was to say yea, if you switch to your guns, the game would feel more like a third person shooter. (Twin rocket multiple lock on would be greatly effected by the cursor locking) Maybe damage reduction is not a good idea. But the lock was to get more of a feel of Normal and Heavy attacks. kind of thing. I just pictured, if i was fighting the original Dragon in ep1 and using this cursor to look up and lock onto his head with twin rockets! Felt epic with the original thought. I would like to show illustrations of these weapons if i knew how to upload pictures.. But no such luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXrobo View Post
    There were weapons like that. My friend played as a FOnewearl, so physical attacks were pretty pointless for him... Until we got a Hildebear's Cane. It's Special Attack was Foie without a TP cost, and it was really useful for him. It's ability also powered up Foie spells, so it really helped him dish out some decent damage without using any TP.

Ah ok! i think i get what your saying. so the lock-on is suppost to be slower, but you get a more accurate and powerful attack as the trade off. and if you wanted a normal, faster attack you could just aim and fire.

Iv also been wanting to put some of my pictures online. I should get around to finding out how.
    I request a dance of intellect, put on your thinking shoes!

There were weapons like that. My friend played as a FOnewearl, so physical attacks were pretty pointless for him... Until we got a Hildebear's Cane. It's Special Attack was Foie without a TP cost, and it was really useful for him. It's ability also powered up Foie spells, so it really helped him dish out some decent damage without using any TP.
    That is EXACTLY what i want the spell blade to do!
    Im honestly hopeing that in PSO2 we will be able to cast with any weapon and that special attacks will be in tact again!

But after playing PSU and PSP2 i wanted to think of it in that style of gameplay.
    I miss my Cross Scar's Lighting attack dearly.