Default Dengeki and Gather cup tournament footage

As some of you may remember, Episode III had a few tournaments hosted by Sega. I recently found some footage from these events and have uploaded them to my youtube account.

Due to how difficult it was to get into observation mode when rounds started, most of these unfortunately are missing the beginnings of the matches.

Gather Cup

Preliminaries - Kick and Sayuki vs RRika and yuki katare

Quarterfinals - Kick and Sayuki vs Rain and Yuffie

Semifinals - Kick and Sayuki vs Yamato. and Irwin

Finals - NOBUchan and rutia vs yamato. and Irwin

Dengeki Cup

Preliminaries - Billie Joe vs mocching

Quarterfinals - Billie Joe vs Toumi

Semifinals - Billie Joe vs Kain (Content warning. One of the players was unfortunately a poor sport...)

Finals - Kain vs G-7
    Last edited by PrinceBrightstar; Jan 7, 2011 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks!
    Focus... and FOCast~

There used to be a Famitsu Cup tournament on Youtube too. It featured Guykild vs Memorou, and turned out to be a very close match. Ultimately Guykild lost when time ran out. He definitily had the upper hand at the end, but the Memorou player held him off just long enough to win (1 or 2 more rounds and Guykild very likely would have won). Saddly this video was pulled from Youtube for unknown reasons.

There was also a download Famitsu Cup quest that was briefly available. In this download quest, you played against 2 Arkz opponents at the same time. I hope you don't mind me using this topic to post a video of my own. Here is a video of the Famitsu download quest. The dialogue seems to be a little broken - perhaps a side affect of running a Japanese quest in English.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQYiC6_GziQ

EP3 C.A.R.D. Battle King Deadbeard's Avatar

Thanks for posting these videos up here. I had always been interested in seeing the skill levels of the competition that was out there who were fortunate enough to participate in a tournament such as this. I wish I had an opportunity to play in these special cup tournaments but us north american players weren't so lucky. I'm confident I could have done well against any of those teams had I been given the chance. It never ceases to amaze me how conservative most japan players are..almost everyone used ark spam basically. Either that, or a deck that revolved around limited action. Billie Joe, as far as I can tell, has never used anything but cheap spam decks. And has always been a sore loser, so his reaction when he lost didn't even surprise me one bit.

You might be able to Deadbeard. You just need my new Episode 3 card.

The same way people get fired up watching sports, I get fired up watching Episode 3 matches. As I was watching these, I kept talking to my screen as if instead of happening many years ago, the matches were happening in live time right that very moment. I kept trying to give the people on the recording advice or telling them to move here or move there. lol I got really into it.

I also kept imagining myself in those matches, and what I would have been doing if I had been in the same match using my own deck. While it may not be fair to compare what my deck is NOW to matches played way back then, it's still fun to imagine. I feel that my current Viviana deck would have been very effective in a lot of these matches.

Take for example the preliminary match with the 2 Ino'lis vs. Guykild and Ohgun. I imagined myself on the Ino'lis team and equipping Rukmin, Chao+, and perhaps a 1 cost item. I likely would have lost the Rukmin to their Gillchichs, but by then I had figured out what they were up to, and hopefully I would have gotten a dice bonus or two before they destroy it. In the mean time, I'd be preparing my next setup - Rati and Shifta Merge. With the Rati, I could fly over their blocking creature and reach the vulnerable Ark character, and the Shifta Merge helps protect the Rati from their Limited Action creatures long enough for me to cross the board. Meanwhile my partner does their best to keep Guykild busy.

I wish I could have been there. I so would have loved to give it a shot. Even if I ultimately lost, I think I would have had a really good time.
    Last edited by Cranberry; Jan 27, 2011 at 06:37 PM.

EP3 C.A.R.D. Battle King Deadbeard's Avatar

Haha that's hilarious. Although a machine like that should have a lot more AP! Why is it that the one game I actually like turns around and bombs like this? Seriously, I could play this game forever and id never get tired of it. Just update the cards, (both adding new ones and updating existing ones) add new maps, and sponsor tournaments, and you've a recipe for success. On the bright side, it took em a millennium to announce a official ep 1+2 sequel so all hopes not lost for ep3. Back to the matches though. I was actually rooting for that guykild/ohgun team...idk why. Maybe because I like the fact they were brave enough to use guykild in a high profile tournament like this.

Woah, keeping a time machine with 20 hp alive for 88 turns? Now THATs quite a feat =p

Also, thanks for the Famitsu video!
    Focus... and FOCast~

Amazing! Thanks for uploading these, makes me feel nostalgic.