Thread: LAGGGGG

Default LAGGGGG

Does anyone know how to get rid of lagging on psobb?Thank you!!

In Optimus Curtz we trust Broken_L_button's Avatar

Try:

-playing on lower settings
    -Not using too many applications at once on your PC
    -Getting a better ISP

...These usually work for me. Then again, it could always be the server having a hiccup.

EDIT: Wouldn't this thread be best in the tech support forum or, even better, the tech support forum of the server you're playing on?
    Last edited by Broken_L_button; Feb 15, 2011 at 07:15 PM.

Sorry, and whats isp?

In Optimus Curtz we trust Broken_L_button's Avatar

Internet Service Provider. Basically, the company that's in charge of ripping you off for you to have internet access. They sometimes restrict ports, have maintenance on their cables and such, all causing slowdown while you're using the internet.

OK! Thanks!

Upgrade PC wooo Not the most cost effective option but yeah you'd be happier in the long run :P

Tifa

Well there's two different types of lag. Computer lag and network lag. Computer lag occurs when your machine doesn't meet the requirements. In this case, your FPS will (often) constantly be at a low value. The ideal value is 60. Get Fraps (free FPS monitor and recording software)

If your FPS value is 40 or lower constantly, lower your graphics. If they're at the lowest settings, consider tweaking, or better yet upgrading.

If your FPS is 60, then it's network lag, and tbh, have fun with that. There's plenty of reasons why it would be unresponsive... For network lag I would reccomend these ideas:

- Use a wired connection to remove the possibility of intranet latency (or use the "ping XXX.XXX.X.X -t" function)
    - Like Broken_L_Button said, get a better ISP. Lots of credible ISPs will throttle your network bandwidth. Ask your neighbors which works best for them and try that. Different ISPs will have different speeds depending where you live.

Hope this helps.

- Edit -
    I didn't even notice the person above me bumped this. Is this even the right section..? O_o
    Last edited by Kaziel; Feb 21, 2011 at 03:48 PM.

It would help a lot if you can provide us with your computer specs.