Page 1 of 39 123411 ... LastLast

Default Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Finally, a real trailer!

The graphics look so good. I'm waiting to see if they're going to have a Special Edition before I pre-order it.

I think it looks ok. Not really anything leaps and bounds ahead compared to heavily modded Oblivion on PC. Looks like it's the same engine just a bit tarted up, with better lighting and water effects etc etc which were aparent in New Vegas, they're definately more refined in this game, but it's not leaps and bounds ahead. But it's for the console market too so they can't go to town on the graphics thoroughly.

They've finally made human looking female faces and anatomically correct bodies...well I hope. The female bodies on Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are just manly and it was only with heavy modding did they finally end up looking decent (Rens beauty pack).

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4431

Skyrim looks like it has nice fog and water effects which are a good improvement on the previous. I hope the sound effects are engagins and detailed too. The music on Oblivion was timeless and I hope it is just as enthralling and magical. Dragons are a nice addition and should be an interesting monster to hunt and slay. I hope for more content, more armour types etc. Skyrim seems to have paid attention to muscle definition which looks better (archer screenshot on PC Gamer) but looks odd in some places, such as the firecasting against that troll whilst holding a sword, the casting arms elbow in places looks dented?? When the dragon slides up close to the screen you can see the lack of texture definition imo.

Still I don't feel it holds a torch to QUARL's texture packs for Oblivion where he literally re-textured every bit of landscape from grass to rocks, trees and brick walls, doors etc etc.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=18498

But it's a Youtube Video, the proof is in the pudding so to speak but the screenshots i've seen don't look so impressive of course with a game this scale are you really going to go to the legnths that CryTek did with Crysis 5 years ago? Well 5 years on they should ><

Of course it'll be a decent game, lets hope it's a bit less buggy but for a game of this scale it'd be hard for it to be bug free. Also let's hope optimization is better than new Vegas which on PC can be problematic at best even with a system that far exceeds its requirements.

I hope, even though Skyrim is a frozen snowy tundra, that there'll be ample forested areas and various climates etc as snowy envionrments get boring and Bruma area in Oblivion was by far my least favoured environment.

Anyways we'll have to wait and see how it goes, let's hope they release the software so the modders can't get their hands on it and make it better

Tifa
    Last edited by AOI_Tifa_Lockhart; Feb 24, 2011 at 11:45 AM.

Heh, can't expect a massive leap when the game is being built for the same console generation that Oblivion was several years ago. (Unfortunate, methinks.) Thankfully, we have mods for that!

I, personally, am looking forward to greatly improved animations (seriously, Oblivion's animations were TERRIBLE) and actual shadows that react to lighting instead of being static and only existing for characters. (It always killed my immersion when I passed by a torch and casted no shadow from it. Like, wut?)

Oh, and playing the game, of course. Heh.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

I couldn't care less about how pretty it is. Graphic fidelity doesn't make a game fun. The Crytek engine has been used for several games, and every last one of them is dreadfully boring. As long as a game doesn't look so bad that it tears you out of the experience, all is good.

The only request I have is to kill off the game-shattering bugs that have been a mainstay for the TES series.

Graphics might not equal fun, but they sure as hell make it easier to get immersed and easier to overlook a game's other faults (kinda the reason I stuck with PSU for so long, heh).

Unfortunately, Oblivion WAS one of those games where the graphics were bad enough to tear you out of the world. Static shadows, really bad faces, crap animations (seriously, why is there no diagonal strafe animation?), not to mention some of the obvious AI flaws that would immediately remind you this is a game.

So, yeah, really hoping Skyrim achieves what Oblivion could not. In more ways than one!

I agree about animations. For a game which was melee orientated the animations were hideous. Dark messiah had a much nicer and cinematic combat system, take a leaf form their book Bethesda!! Let's steer cleer of VATS but perhaps some form of slow mo finisher moves would be nice. oblivion hd a few unlockable perks which helped but they need more I think (I loved the block hit back though). Even on New Vegas a lot of hit's don't connect and that annoys the hell out of me.

A problem I see with computer games is slopes, characters do not seem to react. They'll carry on runnin as usual, not being slowed down or changing run animation to a scarmble up the cliff etc. Unless they're falling with ragdoll effects. Red Dead did a nice stumbling affect when going down steep slopes etc. But often if you're on raised or lowered ground trying to hit something it used to confuse the hell out of VATS.

But fluid animations would help make it feel less clunky. And more impressive magic would be sweet. plus a Dragon mount. The mod for that on Oblivion was awesome but clearly wasn't meant for the game and the landscapes just looked stupid. but moving around so quickly makes a map feel smaller? Also why 3rd person mode? I think the lack of slope reaction, the hideous jump and attack animations make Oblivion, Fallout 3 and NV unecessary in terms of 3rd person view. Sometimes it's nice to check out your character but when everything looks so terrible in 3rd person what's the point? but please, after so many similar games of the Eldar Scrolls and Fallout series make a characters jump animation look realistic for goodness sake :P

Of course graphics don't make a game, but people expect progress and I don't think that's an out of this world request to have. Of course it's limited by the cuirrent generation of consoles but I guess that's life. i'm interested to see Battlefield 3 finally return to it's routes and prioritising PC development before consoles. Praise be de Lord

Tifa
    Last edited by AOI_Tifa_Lockhart; Feb 24, 2011 at 12:13 PM.

Y'know, I was going to post about how the trailer looked nice enough but that the animations were still crappy. Then I didn't because I figured it wasn't worth posting since I don't care too much about the games and I figured I would just be stirring up trouble.

Guess I was wrong?

If this game ups the fun factor versus every other Bethesda game I've ever played, I'd consider trying it. If it's the same buggy, aimless, clunky gameplay as ever, I'll pass.

Whatever the case, that trailer was fucking AMAZING!

Also, to clear up any confusion: They have finally stepped up to a new engine. No more Gamebryo.

After the awesomeness that was Shivering Ilses. (Best DLC for a game, ever) I'm going to be in Skyrim, day one. This, I decree.