Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Forces and Combat

I think what they need to do (and this already maybe like this based on the combat video) is to make Forces more dynamic. In PSO and PSU you had to stand when casting a spell, you couldn't move or anything (meaning once you casted the spell you stopped.) This made the class slower then the rest.

What I think they need to allow you to do is like when you're using foie, able to run around and fire it. Of course they would need to make some draw backs as it might be a bit OP (depending on how they go about it.)

So really they just need to make Forces faster pace, rather then the slower pace they been before.

Agree or disagree?

Eh... it's a toss up, imo.

I completely agree that FOs could use a little more mobility during combat. Frankly, if a ranger can walk around charging their grenade launcher in PSP2, I see no reason to not let a FO walk around maintaining something like Dam- and Nosu- techs were.

In general, though, let them run while throwing weak techs, walk on medium, and only stop for the big stuff.

I see no reason to not be able to dash to the side flinging Foie.
    Coming Soon!

Honestly I hope they take a clue from Phantasy Star Zero. Forces were perfect in that game IMO.
    Phantasy Star 2 Char/Serv
    ChronoTrigga - Human Female - Ship 7 / Block 30

All I know is in PSO Ep 1&2, level 30 techs tore face as it was. I think it balanced Forces well that you couldn't run away from enemies that could only match your movement speed on Ultimate while firing off various spells, and it sort of adds to the feeling that magic takes some form of concentration to conjure up. That said, I don't think they necessarily intended for it to be a balancing agent; the game and its engine were conceived before good, standard moving/shooting gameplay mechanics were pioneered by games like Halo.

I would like to be able to move and tech the same way you can move your shoot. Overbalancing is, in my opinion, an unfortunate side effect of the otherwise positively progressive period of gaming that we're living in. It may have something to do with growth in popularity of competitive gaming, but nowadays it seems like everything has to be exactly equal in games. The bottom line is that I want to have fun, and nothing is more fun than owning.

You don't necessarily have to be able to haul ass while casting in order to make Forces feel more dynamic. I think that being able to move while casting certain kinds of techniques may be appropriate, depending on what the technique in question does, but isn't really a catch-all to making gameplay for casting characters more dynamic.

Of course, casting techniques doesn't necessarily need to be some fast-paced, acrobatic affair in order to be improved - it could easily be worked into something that's simply more tactical or strategic, rather than something that's just faster.

PSO did one thing very right with techniques: Nearly every single technique used in combat was functionally-different from every other. A few were somewhat-similar in styles (such as Rabarta and Razonde being a circular-AOE centered around the caster, and Foie and Megid both being linearly-traveling projectiles, though their effects drastically-different). This is probably the best element of PSO's technique system that PSO2 could hope to copy, and one that's basically a necessity for fun and engaging gameplay involving techniques (being that it was, really, the best part about PSO's offensive techniques in the first place).

As for healing and supportive techniques... Sure, there's ways to make them more interesting or flavorful, but they don't necessarily need such a thing in an action-oriented game like this. Trying to make healing interesting is usually the product of a game where a player will have a dedicated "healer" role in the first place, which (hopefully) won't be the case here.

Back onto offensive techniques, I think a basic change that would make techniques a bit more fun would be to implement both "light" and "heavy" versions of a given technique. That is, by just tapping the button assigned to a technique, you'd be able to cast a light version of it, perhaps one that can be cast while moving, or maybe a version that can be done in the standard three-step combo we see with weapons. By holding the button, you instead have to stand still and briefly charge the technique before releasing, in order to cast a more potent version with increased other attributes (such as range, AOE, status chance, etc.).

Another potential idea, is to work on the notion of having additional effects, other than merely elemental damage, onto techniques - but not just for the sake of inflicting status effects, but playing with status effects in specific ways in order to maximize damage output. Things like frozen enemies taking bonus damage from lightning attacks could potentially make for an interesting idea to play around with, considering there's an intelligent and logical method they could use to interlink the added effects of various techniques.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

I like the "light hard" tech casting idea a lot. Would be sweet being a high level force on Forest-Normal just flinging Zonde or Foie around...showing off!

In PSP2i movement while casting is already implemented, although it's limited to strafing.

-Wayu

I say run and tech.I can see them doing flips and what not shooting foies...Think Last Air bender

Thanks to Vashyron =D!

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ark22 View Post
    I say run and tech.I can see them doing flips and what not shooting foies...Think Last Air bender
    and suddenly!! rangers became the most boring class again...

Also I hate avatar. but that's another story. :0

Okay I lied, it's watchable, but avatar should stay where avatar lives...

Usually games like this give the magic class super godly aoe mob crushing room filling techs anyway, you won't even have to move if it's done right.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeru View Post
    and suddenly!! rangers became the most boring class again...

Also I hate avatar. but that's another story. :0

Okay I lied, it's watchable, but avatar should stay where avatar lives...

Usually games like this give the magic class super godly aoe mob crushing room filling techs anyway, you won't even have to move if it's done right.
    You just broke my heart.....

Thanks to Vashyron =D!