Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony gets sued

Default Sony gets sued

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20057921-260.html

How do you guys think this will turn up and affect Sony

PSO2 will no longer be for ps3. OH WAIT

Maybe it'll wake up a stronger security system!

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

Hehe. Had to laugh at that PSO2 news. Still, this story isn't much news. Something like this happens every single time something like this happens. Class action suits are like weeds, they spring up whereever they can.

they're already working on that, that's why PSN still isn't up. Do you think Sony will lose the case? :OOOOO

If all that information truly was stored in plain text, they are royally boned, and with good reason.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by McLaughlin View Post
    If all that information truly was stored in plain text, they are royally boned, and with good reason.
    Yeah, they lose for sure if they stored passwords in plaintext. That's been known to be unsafe for over a decade. The other stuff kind of has to be in plaintext.
    Coming Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
    Yeah, they lose for sure if they stored passwords in plaintext. That's been known to be unsafe for over a decade. The other stuff kind of has to be in plaintext.
    Their dev network should have never been connected to PSN though. There's no reason for that.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by McLaughlin View Post
    Their dev network should have never been connected to PSN though. There's no reason for that.
    While this is 100% true, we don't know if the developer network was the point of entry for the data thief or not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    While this is 100% true, we don't know if the developer network was the point of entry for the data thief or not yet.
    I think that the whole dev network bit had to do with the theory that someone found a way to get stuff for free off PSN, not that they were robbing the server's database blind.

In the end, I figure its most likely the attacker used a PC to get in, not a PS3.
    Coming Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
    I think that the whole dev network bit had to do with the theory that someone found a way to get stuff for free off PSN, not that they were robbing the server's database blind.

In the end, I figure its most likely the attacker used a PC to get in, not a PS3.
    It was a custom firmware that let people into the dev network. The dev network never verified credit card information so the people using it could enter bogus info and buy as much content as they wanted.

That said, having the database with all your user information connected to the internet seems incredibly stupid to me (store offline and retrieve it if it needs editing), and I don't see why they couldn't just shut off the developer network to prevent people from exploiting the "free" content, so there must have been a huge hole in PSN itself.

The whole thing is one big clusterfuck.