Page 1 of 197 12341151101 ... LastLast

Exclamation The "Will my computer run this?" thread v1.8

Change log

Spoiler!

Ok so I was going to try to wait til we got final system specs til I did this but some people just can't seem to wait. So what I'm going to do instead is post all the info I can and try to update it as new stuff comes out.

The purpose of this thread:

To help people determine if their computer is up to the task of running this game.

To give the not so PC savvy some ideas for PC builds and PC upgrades for the purposes of gaming with the intent to run PSO2 in the event their computer won't do the job.

To provide a place for all the PC questions to consolidate to avoid forum clutter, while having the big answers where they can easily be found - right on page 1.

To give updated information about options as they come and provide information that matches what we know about the game's specs and updated tech such as new processors and video cards.
    Things I will NOT do:

Tell you how to build a computer. There are tons of guides out there. If I find a good one I'll probably offer a link so you can get step by step instructions. I may be able to help here and there, but I'm not a tech support line. Others with experience may be able to help as well and I encourage anyone with actual experience to offer any info they can.

Tell you how to overclock your machine. Overclocking in simple terms makes your computer run faster. It's not difficult with a home built computer, but if you do it incorrectly you can fry your CPU(processor) because you have to send more power through it than is supposed to be. Quite simply this isn't a tech forum and I would hate to see something get messed up because of a misunderstanding and suddenly your computer is dead.

Tell you how to upgrade your specific computer. There are thousands of different machines out there and each one is built a little differently. I'm happy to give you the basics on what to do, but i cannot see your computer and i cannot tell you exactly how to get to what. What I CAN tell you is use some common sense and a keen eye and everything should go smoothly.

Break down the tech. This stuff is complicated and there's a lot I'm sure people want to know like what one processor can do over another. I don't mind giving simple explanations and answers like how you don't need hyper threading or the difference between a locked and unlocked processor, but anything beyond simple answers are just as easily googled if not more so.

I will not look at each individual computer asked about to see if the processor is up to the task. I will post a link for GPUs and CPUs so you can see how yours stack up. If you don't see yours listed there, don't ask us if it will work because here's your answer: It won't.

Tell you how to upgrade your Mac. Macs are pretty much non-upgradable. The Mac Pro is the only model that is meant to be opened by an end user and they charge ridiculous amounts of money for cards you can get at reasonable prices for PCs. Some PCs GPUs can have their internal software(called firmware) converted to a mac version, however there can be compatibility issues. In addition, you have to have an intel based Mac and use a program called Bootcamp to allow you to install windows as this is a PC only title. If someone else has some tips on this, I'll post them here once I can verify them. Until then, playing on a Mac is not recommended.

Assume any responsibility for any damage you do to yourself, to anyone else, to your property, or anyone else's property as a result of doing this. In all my years of working with computers I've never heard of an incident involving any form of damage or injury. It doesn't hurt to be safe though so make sure you take all precautions possible and look up guides for everything you can if you don't have experience.
    The reason I was waiting to post this:

The specs we've been given are for an Alpha. That means a lot can change between now and the time the game comes out. The suggestions I post will be in my estimation beyond anything you would need to run this game. The chances of it being a vast difference are slim to none, but it's worth mentioning.

Also, technology is always changing. What's top of the line today may be middle of the road next week. So rather than tell you to get something now when we still have a ways to go before the game comes out. It's better to wait to see what comes.
    The reason you should wait to buy:

See above.
    That said, if you absolutely need a new computer, were trying to get something put together or upgraded soon for other reasons and were looking for answers, or just can't wait: For now this thread is for you.

AGAIN I SUGGEST YOU WAIT AS LONG AS POSSIBLE BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING AS I DO NOT WORK FOR SEGA SO I CANNOT HONESTLY GUARANTEE THE FINAL REQUIRED SPECS FOR THE GAME. I CAN ONLY MAKE EDUCATED GUESSES.

Simple terms to remember:
    CPU: Central Processing Unit. Also known as a processor

GPU: Graphics Processing Unit. This can be a dedicated unit such as video card or a integrated unit that resides within the CPU.

PSU: Power Supply Unit

HDD: Hard Disk Drive. Also known as a hard drive.

Optical Drive: A device that reads (and possibly writes to) optical media. For example a DVD burner.

RAM: Random Access Memory. The computer uses this for active processes such as open programs like your web browser or a game. Also known as system memory.

VRAM: RAM located on a dedicated GPU. Also known as Video RAM

More to come as needed

Specs for the alpha:

As mentioned before these specs are only for the alpha. What that means is it is a test version of the game before it enters the final testing stage (I know, wtf). It's almost certain the minimum reqs will go up for the finished version of the game, probably not by much, but it's worth noting.

• Spoiler!

Again these are the minimum requirements for the alpha. Anything lower will not do, anything higher should be just fine if you get an invite to the alpha. I expect the requirements to go up a bit before the game is released, so if you have a 7800 gtx and think you just skated by: think again, cause I'd bet money you'll need something more before PSO2 hits the shelves. At the same time I don't believe they'll go up significantly, and I'd guess that if you have a 9800 GT or better you should be fine at least to run the game on low settings. All the same, the only parts I'll be mentioning here for purchase will exceed even a 9800gt to play it safe. If you buy something below what I mention by name and you end up being unable to run the game, don't blame me.

Useful links:

http://www.newegg.com - Great place to buy PCs and parts. Many items have free 3-day shipping. They are a US only website.

http://www.tigerdirect.com - Not as good as newegg, but reliable and they will match newegg's prices if you call them. Because they are largely tax free due to their only shipping location being in the midwest. US only.

http://www.microcenter.com - Another good store. They have better prices than newegg for CPUs. The downside is their selection is limited and you have to pick up CPUs in the store. The upside is they'll usually match newegg if you're nice, so you save on shipping and have a storefront to return things to if something goes wrong. They are US only and have limited locations, so make sure one is local before you try to place an order.

http://www.amazon.com - You can get just about anything here. if you order components from Amazon, make sure you match your part numbers and try to get only from amazon as opposed to random sellers. Amazon store listings are going to be the more accurate guaranteeing you'll get the part you're looking for.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/gateway-eu - Amazon's EU gateway. This is the only place I've seen that really sells to EU shoppers. Everything else I've been able to find looked unreliable and there are shipping companies you can use to route US purchases to EU, but I am unfamiliar with them so use at your own discretion. EU prices will be higher than US prices, so unfortunately I can't always guarantee a certain price. I will add more EU webstores as they come to my attention.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html - lists high end GPUs from high to low in accordance to score. To make it easy, use the find command and type the name as it appears. There are some products that have similar names so you want to make sure you're looking at the right one. To be safe, I suggest you consider upgrading if your GPU is either unlisted or ranks below 900. Laptop GPUs are listed as well.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/mid_range_cpus.html &
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html - Look for your CPU here. To make it easy, use the find command and type the name as it appears. There are some products that have similar names so you want to make sure you're looking at the right one. The E6300 ranks in at 1115 - the top of the low range list. To be safe, I suggest you consider upgrading if you're below 1500. Laptop CPUs are listed as well.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...ist.844.0.html - A list of GPUs for Laptops. If you're insisting on a laptop, don't get anything that isn't listed in the top 50.

About GPUs:

Spoiler!

About Store-bought Desktops:

Spoiler!

About Laptops:

Spoiler!

About Building your own desktop:

The benefits to building your own desktop take many forms. for starters you get to pick every part from start to finish, meaning you know exactly what's in your computer.

In addition, you get to pick your own case allowing you to find something that you like for looks as much as utility. Some cases even have LEDs on the fans and dust filters to keep the inside of your computer clean. The Cases can also have a tool-less design allowing you to put your computer together without ever having to look for a screwdriver.

Because you're installing a fresh OS, there will be no added software that runs when the computer starts up like weird trials or demos trying to sell you products you don't want. This allows the computer to run faster as it reduces the number of background processes.

Building a computer can be rewarding. You'll have a feeling of accomplishment every time you turn the computer on. Whenever you look at it you'll be able to think "I did that."

I personally find putting a computer together fun. You may as well

It's much cheaper than buying one from a store.

I will post several builds that will work well as gaming solutions all but guaranteed to run the game at different price points. Here is a guide to building a computer (NOT WRITTEN BY ME) If you feel like taking this task on. Skip step one as I've gone and done that for you with these lists. Alternatively you can buy the parts and pay someone else to do it, like a knowledgeable cousin, or a local computer store.

Things you will need:

A philips head screwdriver
    A large open space like a good sized table
    parts (duh)
    literacy
    steady hands
    common sense
    needle nose pliers(optional but helpful)

Ezodagrom has a topic with various CPUs and GPUs listed which can be found here. They all meet the minimum for the currently known specs.

Ezo Has also provided a build for a modest gaming rig that can be built for just over $700.00 before tax and shipping.
    Spoiler!

Here is a similar build I've devised with a much better video card and CPU for $100 more.

Spoiler!

This is on the semi extreme. This goes beyond standard gaming and into enthusiast. If you've been wanting to throw down some cash and show off your rig: this is your foot in the door. Because of the nature of this build, I'll be listing some extra options. This machine is a little on the expensive side.

Spoiler!

Here it is: This is a requested balls out super high end build. Based on the enthusiast build listed above, this takes all of that and step everything up to the extreme. This is not a maxed out computer, but puts you in a position for it. It includes faster RAM, an incredibly powerful motherboard, a massive PSU to support up the 3 extremely high performance video cards, and one of the best CPUs and GPUs available while still affording you flexibility and expansion. This build will be screaming fast and play even the most demanding games at well over 60fps PLUS you'll still be able to overclock everything to really get the most out of your computer.

This machine features a Solid State drive(SSD) which is like a giant flash drive. It's silent, runs cool, has better longevity than a normal HDD and is extremely fast. It's limited by its capacity though, so only put your OS and a few choice games on it. This will increase overall performance while leaving your computer less vulnerable to dying due to a failed HDD. This build also includes an extremely High performance 2TB HDD to store music movies and games on. Every plus option aside from multiple GPUs and extra HDDs and RAM from the enthusiast build is included and as an added feature, this one comes with a Bluray burner. The motherboard can take up to 32GB of RAM. This requires 8GB DIMMs which as far as I know do not exist yet. For now I recommend you use 8GB Total and expand later as needed.

Unfortunately due to the size of the motherboard, the options for cases are limited but I picked out one of the best on the market.

As of right now, this is as future proof as it gets.

Spoiler!

If someone else posts a sensible build, I'll probably add it here. I'm looking to add one that will just barely exceed the minimum specs for the cheapskates. Obviously since we don't have the final specs the cheap-o one will take a while. these prices do not include monitors, speakers, keyboard or mouse as I assume if you already have a computer you have all these. I will however recommend a few monitors and a keyboard and mouse if you need them.

About PSUs:

Power supplies, as has been said before are the heart of your computer. They provide power to your entire system. A low wattage power supply is unable to adequately power a high end GPU and multiple devices.

The results of this can be catastrophic. Best case scenario you blow out the PSU, worst case scenario your CPU and GPU get damaged from erratic power surges or you could even fry your computer.

For this reason, it's important when upgrading your computer to make sure you have a PSU that can adequately power your computer. the minimalist GPUs in a computer don't take much wattage at all and you can easily skate by on a 300w PSU. However Higher end cards can range from 150-250 watts on their own and moreso if you overclock them. That means that you HAVE to get a new PSU if you're adding a performance videocard to a storebought rig and it's strongly recommended that you get a 600w PSU or better if you're building your own.

In addition, PSUs will degrade in capacity over time and with use. So while a PSU may be able to do the work when you first buy it, after a year of usage, that 600w PSU may only be able to provide 530-550w Make sure if you use a PSU calculator that you have it calculate capacitor aging of at least 20% into the final total. I prefer 30% to play it safe. Note that all the rigs I list have had these figures take into acount and still allow for additional HDDs and such to be added with no worry of overloading the system with the included GPU.

Lastly, not all PSUs are the same. Not every company uses quality parts. Sometimes this is reflected in the price, sometimes it's not. DO NOT BUY A CHEAP PSU. They draw way more power than they have to which will run up your electric bill and they are unstable and unreliable which can result in the same thing as having bought a PSU with low wattage. Make sure you buy a PSU with a single 12v rail and that it's ATX/EPS compatible as well as 80+ certified (bronze, silver and gold are even better). I personally like Corsair PSUs. their TX, HX and AX series are top of the line. Other good companies are Seasonic, enermax, xclio, and PC power and cooling. It should be noted that Corsair gets their PSUs from seasonic, so you can't go wrong with either.

Monitors:

Bare in mind the larger the monitor, the harder the video card has to work to provide a steady frame rate. I don't recommend using a screen larger than 24 for gaming unless you're using a high end card like the HD6950

Keyboard:

Spoiler!

Mouse:

Spoiler!

About Macs:

Spoiler!

About Alienware:

Alienware was bought by dell some years back, assuming their level of quality control and dell's notorious proprietary parts. While you can still install a new GPU in a dell, they overcharge for sub par parts and quite simply you aren't getting the best you can for your money. The best example I can give is my computer cost me less than $1200 to build and it's all around better than a $2000 alienware. You're paying for a brand name - and not a very good one.
    More to come soon.

Note about Windows, 64 bit OSes and RAM:

In 32-bit OSes such as Windows XP, memory addressing is unable to use over 4GB of RAM. What this means is if you have 4GB of RAM and 1GB of VRAM, the system will only see 3GB of RAM. In order to use that last GB or ram you need to use a 64-bit OS such as Windows 7 64-bit. As such all builds I will suggest and all computers you buy from a store will come with Windows 7 64-bit. The downside to a 64-bit OS is that some older devices may not be supported and 16-bit programs (such as very old games) will not run. There are some work-arounds for this so feel free to ask if you're unsure. Basically if the game ran in windows 98 or before, it won't work natively in a 64-bit environment. Plan for this accordingly.

On a side note there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7. Make sure you get the right one.

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them within reason. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Niloklives; Jul 2, 2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Title update(wut?)

Could you provide a general overview of GPU's? The specs only provide info for the 7800 GT. Could you provide a range of which Radeon and nVidia card series will have enough specs to run the game? Or a general look for 512 mem, 128bit GDDR3 and over reference?

I might as well put this here:
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185721
    It's a topic I made with the best processors and graphics cards at certain prices (prices based on newegg). I usually try to update the list every 2 or 3 weeks or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kion View Post
    Could you provide a general overview of GPU's? The specs only provide info for the 7800 GT. Could you provide a range of which Radeon and nVidia card series will have enough specs to run the game? Or a general look for 512 mem, 128bit GDDR3 and over reference?
    This isn't 100% accurate, I'm guessing a little bit here, it's possible that cards weaker than these could match the 7800GT, but these listed here are good starting points.

Desktop Cards:
    Radeon HD3000 series: HD 3850 or better.
    Radeon HD4000 series: HD 4650 DDR3 or better.
    Radeon HD5000 series: HD 5550 DDR3 or better.
    Radeon HD6000 series: HD 6570 or better.

Geforce 8000 series: 8800 GS or better.
    Geforce 9000 series: 9600 GSO or better.
    Geforce 200 series: GT 240 or better.
    Geforce 400 series: GT 430 or better.
    Geforce 500 series: GTX 550 Ti or better (if Nvidia launches a GT530, this will change to GT530 or better).
    Laptop GPUs:
    Radeon HD3000 series: Mobility HD 3850 or better.
    Radeon HD4000 series: Mobility HD 4670 or better.
    Radeon HD5000 series: HD 5650M or better.
    Radeon HD6000 series: HD 6530M or better.

Geforce 8000 series: 8800M GTS or better.
    Geforce 9000 series: 9700M GTS or better.
    Geforce 100 series: GTS 150M or better.
    Geforce 200 series: GTS 250M or better.
    Geforce 300 series: GT 335M or better.
    Geforce 400 series: GT 435M or better.
    Geforce 500 series: GT 540M or better.
    Last edited by Ezodagrom; May 6, 2011 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Changed some of the cards and added laptop GPUs as well
    PSO2 EN (Ship 1): Johana
    PSO2 JP (Ship 2): Johana, Ezodagrom, Luppi, Lana, Yukari, Blune, Elysia, Elena
    PSU EN/JP: Johana, Blune, Ezodagrom, Luppi/Johana, Lana

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ezodagrom
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom

This seems like an extremely useful post, I am totally glad you have gone to the trouble to spell out everything like this, loads of people will certainly use it, especially as more news comes out of the developers.

I have read somewhere that "3 weeks before release of ___" is the BEST time to buy a new machine/build one/whatever.

(where __ is the game you want) It seems backed up by logic that 3 weeks gives you time to knock out any bugs/build the item if you were going to do it that way/eliminate the possibility of it being not up and running on the big day. It's also backed up by the OP in that "the longer you wait the cheaper the 'current' good stuff gets". Which is also true in PCs as they're always seeming to invent something newer/faster. So it's basically "to save money, fight the excitement and buy late".

If mine doesnt measure up I do plan to do this, so I thought to ask....good plan?
    Should it be longer? Shorter? I DONT want something that will 'barely run it' or do minimums because it's sure to be annoying. On PSU beta the machine barely could and the ground was full of holes and everyone's face polygons fell apart around the eyeballs.

Well as an example I linked to a really good price/performance GPU for $140 - the HD 5850. Around this time last year it cost close to 280 for the same thing. Sega looks to be wanting to keep the specs on this game low, so I even a $100 card could run the game on high settings as of now. Who builds a computer to play just one game though?

Wielder of the Neiclaws Ce'Nedra's Avatar

I see you link to US only websites a few times, but what do you got for the non US members?

Celestial Manager~
    Quote Originally Posted by isCasted View Post
    Welcome to PSO2, a game which tells you to fuck off on regular basis. Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupikachu View Post
    He just copypasted the log, which is mostly SOHO talking, and then for the remaining pages he just went to psow and copied the ep4 thread salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ce'Nedra View Post
    I see you link to US only websites a few times, but what do you got for the non US members?
    I'll look around and try to find some sites by recommendation. Seeing as I haven't shopped from anyplace outside of the US, I don't have any knowledge of that market and I can't link people to just anything. If someone outside of the US (for example Holland) knows some good sites, I'd be happy to list them. I'll be updating whenever I can though so keep checking.

EDIT: So far the best suggestion I have is Amazon. They actually sell computer components there, but you'll want to make sure you get the critical components from amazon directly. I'll update the OP once I have more to add
    Last edited by Niloklives; May 6, 2011 at 01:14 AM.

Changed my list a bit, for example, changed the 8600GTS to 8800GS, just to be sure I wasn't putting there a card worse than the 7800GT, also added a laptop GPU list (the laptop list is much less accurate than the desktop list, there's so many laptop GPUs, it's hard to check which ones could be above the 7800GT, especially when it comes to Nvidia GPUs).

Also, both of my lists are just guesses, since there's no benchmarks comparing older GPUs with newer GPUs, it's hard to say for sure how comparable they really are.
    Last edited by Ezodagrom; May 6, 2011 at 01:04 AM.
    PSO2 EN (Ship 1): Johana
    PSO2 JP (Ship 2): Johana, Ezodagrom, Luppi, Lana, Yukari, Blune, Elysia, Elena
    PSU EN/JP: Johana, Blune, Ezodagrom, Luppi/Johana, Lana

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ezodagrom
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom

well I have links to a place where the can find ranking and such. It's not 100% accurate due to every card behaving a little differently, but it's a good starting place.
    Last edited by Niloklives; May 6, 2011 at 03:40 AM.

Not a question but thanks for putting this up.