Page 64 of 197 FirstFirst ... 14546162636465666774114164 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lKeima View Post
    My mac is bootcamped.

13" Macbook Air 2011
    CPU: Intel Core i5 1.7 GHz
    Memory: 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 <--- This seems to be the problem.
    Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2

Sky Rim ran on medium for me, but opinion on if I can run PSO2?
    Maybe. It's definitely way under the required specs for the alpha client. However, it's certainly possible you may manage a playable frame rate at low settings and a low resolution. I would say, don't hold your breath and if you can scrape together a few hundred bucks between now and the game's release (you've got a while), do yourself a favor and build an entry-level gaming desktop.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of variables determining how a game will actually perform, so you can't just say "well Skyrim looks better/just-as-good/whatever so if it runs okay then PSO2 will as well". Completely different engines, the nature of PSO2 as an online-game, etc. and so on.

Myself, I'm waiting for some ultrabook form-factor laptops with AMD's APUs in them with good quality screens at a halfway reasonable price. That will rock (if it ever happens).
    Last edited by kyuuketsuki; Jan 6, 2012 at 03:30 AM.

So, my Asus laptop... Would it be able to run PSO2 at low/medium settings? Specs are as follows...

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Operating System
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 450 @ 2.40 GHz
    RAM: 4,00 GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M

Thanks in advance.

So what about me

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    • AMD Quad-Core A8-3510MX Accelerated Processor (2.5GHz/1.8GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
    • 1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon 6755G2
    • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    • 640GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with HP Protect
    Last edited by Ark22; Jan 7, 2012 at 03:03 AM.

Thanks to Vashyron =D!

What is the average "spend requirement" for a card that's decent, do you think?

As I look around for cards, as mine is waaaaay not sufficient (hopeful that I get into the alpha on the 17th, dont want to be unprepared) I find different makers? (I guess) of the cards have wildly different prices for the same call letter/numbers of the (I'm guessing chip by nvidia?) Like 209 vs 279, just depending on who did the card. Since it needs the PhysX, it narrows it to only nvidia containing cards, which is fine. But they can be made by

EVGA, Galaxy, ZOTAC, Asus, Gigabyte, PNY, Sparkle on and on. Some of these guys are likely duds?

And for example this week, CompUSA is having a sale that includes:
    EVGA 1gig geforce GT520 is 49.99
    and
    EVGA GTX560 1gig is 234.99 (189.99 at newegg)

So the X is clearly what you want, but adds cost. If you sort any store's results by 'reviews' EVGA is always at the top, and the most costly as well. And what's the point of those mega cheap cards? I saw one that was like 9 bucks, certainly it would do nothing so I can't figure why anyone would even try to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Bluesummers View Post
    So, my Asus laptop... Would it be able to run PSO2 at low/medium settings? Specs are as follows...

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Operating System
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 450 @ 2.40 GHz
    RAM: 4,00 GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M

Thanks in advance.
    You should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ark22 View Post
    So what about me

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    • AMD Quad-Core A8-3510MX Accelerated Processor (2.5GHz/1.8GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
    • 1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon 6755G2
    • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    • 640GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with HP Protect
    You should be fine as well. Just keep in mind that the "6755G2" is actually the AMD A8's integrated GPU in asymmetrical Crossfire with a 6750M discrete GPU. A lot of games don't support asymmetric Crossfire properly and will actually run poorer than on just the discrete GPU or even integrated GPU by itself, and I doubt PSO2 is going to be a game that supports it. It should run OK on just the discrete GPU though.
    Quote Originally Posted by AzureBlaze View Post
    What is the average "spend requirement" for a card that's decent, do you think?

As I look around for cards, as mine is waaaaay not sufficient (hopeful that I get into the alpha on the 17th, dont want to be unprepared) I find different makers? (I guess) of the cards have wildly different prices for the same call letter/numbers of the (I'm guessing chip by nvidia?) Like 209 vs 279, just depending on who did the card. Since it needs the PhysX, it narrows it to only nvidia containing cards, which is fine. But they can be made by

EVGA, Galaxy, ZOTAC, Asus, Gigabyte, PNY, Sparkle on and on. Some of these guys are likely duds?

And for example this week, CompUSA is having a sale that includes:
    EVGA 1gig geforce GT520 is 49.99
    and
    EVGA GTX560 1gig is 234.99 (189.99 at newegg)

So the X is clearly what you want, but adds cost. If you sort any store's results by 'reviews' EVGA is always at the top, and the most costly as well. And what's the point of those mega cheap cards? I saw one that was like 9 bucks, certainly it would do nothing so I can't figure why anyone would even try to sell it.
    They sell cheap cards because not everyone needs a GPU for gaming. If they didn't sell, they wouldn't sell them. Don't worry about it.

You won't need a high-end GPU for PSO2. Really you should just figure out how much you're willing to spend and buy the best you can afford in that budget. If you're buying just for PSO2, I would wait. AMD is going to be releasing their new GPU line soon, and nVidia may even get their new line out before PSO2 is done is as well. That means GPU prices for the existing lines will go down quite a bit, most likely.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AzureBlaze View Post
    To further clarify, hopefully without sounding like a nvidia PR tool/fanboy, the "X" you speak of is the "extreme" in Geforce Technology (GT) Extreme aka top of that line. GTX>GTS>GT in most cases...

As for the board partners (EVGA, MSI, ZOTAC, etc), they modify (clock speed/cooling solution) and distribute what would otherwise be the same product. EVGA doesn't sell its boards in Japan so when I built my rig there, I had to go MSI or risk going with some partner I've never heard of but apparently had awards given to it...went MSI on my two GTX 470s (non-stock cooling of course), never looked back. Truly not a bad choice. It's really up to you to risk trial and error or just rely on other's experiences.

As for those extra cheap cards, they're usually used in media center PCs where all someone needs is HDMI/DVI support or a "video accelerator" in the most literal sense of the term. Many of them do not have fans (passive) leaving them with just a heatsink or have subpar fans to achieve the closest thing to silent as possible without being passive thus are an extreme no go for games.

If you're going for Nvidia budget cards that can hold their own on in most games, look for something with a 5 as the second number i.e. 250, 450, 550.
    Last edited by Phantasma; Jan 7, 2012 at 02:40 PM.

By fine what graphics will my PC be running on? Low- Mid? Mid-High?

Thanks to Vashyron =D!

By fine what graphics will my PC be running on? Low- Mid? Mid-High?
    That's pretty difficult to say at this point, but if I had to guess I'd say probably medium, depending on resolution. Don't quote me on that though.

*Quotes you* Medium... gotcha =D Also would you have ANY idea how to make it run on just one GPU?

Thanks to Vashyron =D!

*Quotes you* Medium... gotcha =D Also would you have ANY idea how to make it run on just one GPU?
    Um, just running it normally?