Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone able to make phone apps?

Is anyone able to make apps for Android and Blackberry phones (at least)? I have an idea for one, and the closest I can find in the stores are not what I'm picturing and some have way too many features. The goal is basically like a fancy spreadsheet on its most in depth level, and choices until that point (so it would have several different "spreadsheets" in the end).

If anyone is able to, either post here or PM me, and I can give some details and MS Paint level pictures of how I think it should look.

What language do Blackberries use, anyways? I know Android is Java (more or less).
    Coming Soon!

Looks like Blackberries use some form of Java as well: http://us.blackberry.com/developers/appworld/faq.jsp

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

I've written a few things for Blackberry, Android, and Windows Mobile (lulz). Blackberry is indeed Java. It's not a 100% implementation of J2SE, but almost all code is portable with little to no effort. I can take a look at what you want to do.

Google does have a fairly basic Android app creator, though I've only taken a look at what the tutorials can create.

It's probably not going to help you with this specific idea, but I figured it couldn't hurt either: http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about/

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    Google does have a fairly basic Android app creator, though I've only taken a look at what the tutorials can create.

It's probably not going to help you with this specific idea, but I figured it couldn't hurt either: http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about/
    I think I tried that a bit ago, wasn't having the best of luck. Plus I have at least one Blackberry owning friend who said she was interested in a similar app.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup345 View Post
    I think I tried that a bit ago, wasn't having the best of luck. Plus I have at least one Blackberry owning friend who said she was interested in a similar app.
    Could you maybe build it as a web app? I'm not really sure of the capabilities for Blackberry devices, but they have perfectly serviceable web browsers, right?

I was thinking the same thing. Without knowing any more of this project, this actually sounds pretty much like a Web App. One that can be created quite easily, I would say, be compatible with ALL devices. Wouldn't need silverlight, flash, or anything of the sort.

Technically, if you don't care about saving the collected information outside of maybe what is capable in cookies, it's within the realm of straight HTML and javascript.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Jul 19, 2011 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    Could you maybe build it as a web app? I'm not really sure of the capabilities for Blackberry devices, but they have perfectly serviceable web browsers, right?
    I personally can't do that either.

Also if Web-app requires an online connection, I'd rather not, since this idea is more of an indoor use app, and of course indoors means iffy connections depending on where you are.

I'm currently talking to amtalx about having him do it.

That depends. More and more aspects of cellphones are using both cellphone and wi-fi auto switching. These days, very few folks, with a phone, ever find themselves without connectivity. And unless you expect the pages to be loaded with lots of heavy bandwidth-eating imagery (which wouldn't be the case for any app sized for a phone), the pages would load up quickly.

Perhaps, something more in the lines of both a web app and a phone-specific apps, just so it's usable by every cell-phone with a proper browser. Take note, if the information can be stored in one page with Javascript handling to process the rest of the app, the whole thing can run offline once the app is loaded, in the first place.