Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Warning: account thieves in operation - new users please read

Disclaimer: I realise a lot of people already know about this, it's old news - but victims are still appearing daily. Also I know PSOW has a policy about scammer threads, I checked with Ryna before posting this.

Currently there are Xbox Live account thieves operating on PSU. I don't know if Sega are actually doing anything about it (I've reported it several times), but this group or individual continue to operate unchallenged.

If you see someone advertising free meseta, free MSP or similar offers where you have to visit a site and enter your Xbox Live information, DON'T. What will happen is they will retrieve your Xbox Live account, change your details, log in to PSU and steal/destroy whatever you've worked for, and then use it to phish for more victims. If you report it to Microsoft rather than somehow wrestling control of it back yourself, they will sometimes (possibly always) ban the account and tell you to make a new one. Your new account will have no link to you PSU data, and you'll have to start from scratch with a new PSU ID.

In the past week alone I've seen what appears to be at least 4 new compromised accounts. I believe it is still Wallis/Pegasis at work.

You can protect yourself by doing the following:
    1) NEVER give out your Xbox Live account information, no site will ever ask you to enter it except Microsoft sites.
    2) Don't give out personal information to people you don't know, don't fill in your correct age or exact location on forums for example, try to use a different email address for your Live account. Make sure your Live password is a cryptic mass which resembles no real words (using e=3 will NOT cut it), write it down but not on your computer unless you encrypt the file.
    3) Set up a keypress combo password on your Live account - this is easy. At the dashboard, press the guide button, settings, account management, and 'Xbox LIVE Pass Code'. Set a keypress code and write it down somewhere. This won't prevent account retrieval, but you can set one of 10,000 combinations there - it will at least rob them of a useful victim account.

More information can be found following the forum link in my signature. Additionally, if you do see someone advertising such a site, while the Sega support site is down you can contact them by email at [email protected]

I don't know why Sega seem unable to get this under control, it's extremely serious and from a users point of view they're doing absolutely nothing about it.
    Last edited by bloodflowers; Jul 21, 2011 at 04:13 PM.

AKA SilverCross/Pikachu Quatre52's Avatar

What can sega do exactly? The only thing really is ban them, if they have access to other accounts tho, they'd just get right back on and keep going..

Ban them all!

Quote Originally Posted by Quatre52 View Post
    What can sega do exactly? The only thing really is ban them, if they have access to other accounts tho, they'd just get right back on and keep going..
    They can IP ban them. They've got to do more in the way of reacting to these quickly. They could also engage with law enforcement, Sega will have a log of the IP and the gamertag, stealing XBL accounts is actually illegal under various computer misuse laws.

Yes, but would someone call the police if they were tied to the crime in some way shape or form?
    I'm Boomadatigger and if you can't speak freely you're simply not free.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KnightSabers01?feature=mhee

If Sega won't do anything about other matters like updates and responding to help tickets, then I highly doubt they'll do anything about this. Their apathetic nature should be well-known by now.

Just goes to show you that online games like PSU require a competent GM team watching the servers at all times, as well as a way to contact them from in-game to report problems.

My FFXIV:ARR Lodestone Page
    3DS Friend Code: 0318-8097-4335
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Hearthstone

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsaru View Post
    If Sega won't do anything about other matters like updates and responding to help tickets, then I highly doubt they'll do anything about this. Their apathetic nature should be well-known by now.

Just goes to show you that online games like PSU require a competent GM team watching the servers at all times, as well as a way to contact them from in-game to report problems.
    Pretty weird way of doing business don't you think.
    I'm Boomadatigger and if you can't speak freely you're simply not free.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KnightSabers01?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by boomadatigger View Post
    Pretty weird way of doing business don't you think.
    Yeah, tell me about it... they're only setting themselves up for more failure.

My FFXIV:ARR Lodestone Page
    3DS Friend Code: 0318-8097-4335
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Hearthstone

i almost got my account stolen. this guy kiwi or something told me to go to the site and it asked for mii password.. i luv my password xD ill never give tht to anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Ownz View Post
    i almost got my account stolen. this guy kiwi or something told me to go to the site and it asked for mii password.. i luv my password xD ill never give tht to anyone
    I actually got this guys card, i saw one of the people that were spamming weebly and noticed they had kiwi in bio as i went to mute them, when i asked "kiwi" they said it was them and they got 6 others taken as well. even tried to send a party invite once -.-