Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Strider_M View Post
    So, I have a Compaq Presario PC SR5507F

It has a GeForce 6150 se graphics card and AMD Athlon Dual Core 4050e processor.

I KNOW this isn't good enough due to my computer unable to even run Team Fortress 2 properly.

I have installed a Graphics Card before and I was eyeing the GeForce GTS 250. But do I need a better processor? I also haven't installed one before; so how difficult is it?

Also I can't figure out how....how strong of a power supply I need to support a stronger graphics card or if I need one at all...
    The processing power of a PC is really almost never a huge hold back to frame rates in video games. Your CPU is dual core so I really doubt you need an upgrade.

Installing a CPU is a bit trickier. (You need to buy some heat paste as well "http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186038")
    First you need to open the case (duh)

Second you will need to search for your computers "Heat sink" it will be the only fan that is attached to the motherboard (The big board in the back of the case)

Third. Remove the Heatsink. This is done by either unscrewing 4 screws OR more likely your case has PINS. You will need to twist all 4 pins to the unlocked position and then pull up to "pop" them out.

Fourth. Unplug the heatsink and remove the unit.

Fifth. You will see the CPU but it is held down by a pin and a metal plate. This should be fairly obvious on how to remove this. Just move the pin so the plate is no longer down.

Sixth. Remove the cpu. BE VERY CAREFUL. Touch ONLY THE SIDES OF THE CPU. Hand oils on a CPU can fry it.

Seventh. Replace the cpu with a VERY small amount of the heat paste on top. You will see how much is on the other CPU. Copy this.

Repeat steps backwards. Getting the heatsink ONTO the motherboard is tedious and annoying. Take your time.
    If anyone needs help on PC hardware, building a computer, parts/pricing recommendation for PSO-2 please go to this thread:
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189487

Quote Originally Posted by cheapgunner View Post
    Can you tell if my labtop could run PSO2 (aphla-level):

Acer - Windows 7

Processor: AMD Athlon II P340 Dual-Core Processor 2.20 GHz

RAM: 4 GB

System-type: 64 bit

I don't have a graphics card but from what the specs requirement says for the Alpha testing, it shouldn't be too expensive to get one. This labtop is one of those cheap models (Walmart ), so I know that gaming will be too lackluster for it...
    Depending on the model of laptop it can be nearly impossible to ADD anything to a laptop besides memory. I did do a CPU upgrade on one once.

I would say without a Graphics card PSO-2 MIGHT run on some lower settings. No guarantee on that.

If I were you I would go and call Acer and see what they have to say. Laptops are tricky and on a case by case basis unlike desktops where they are all about the same.

What happens when you don't have a GPU your CPU has to do everything.
    -Processing
    -Graphics
    -Sounds
    -ect

If you are building a PC I recommend a lower end sound card ($20-$50) This will allow your CPU to be free. The more you can do with EXTRA components the LESS your CPU must do.
    Believe it or not a sound card, and network card can actually make your computer faster and give you higher frame rates.
    If anyone needs help on PC hardware, building a computer, parts/pricing recommendation for PSO-2 please go to this thread:

For those looking at cases. Here are a TON of cheep cases.
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...es&Order=PRICE

Keep in mind there are different FORM FACTORS to case sizes.
    Full
    Mid
    (Mini,Small,Micro)->Avoid this.

A full tower is pretty big... unless you want like 10 harddrives I would not recommend it.

Should I upgrade?

My GPU is a ATI Radeon 3000
    Nintendo Switch: 5668-1176-9106

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclearranger View Post
    Depending on the model of laptop it can be nearly impossible to ADD anything to a laptop besides memory. I did do a CPU upgrade on one once.

I would say without a Graphics card PSO-2 MIGHT run on some lower settings. No guarantee on that.

If I were you I would go and call Acer and see what they have to say. Laptops are tricky and on a case by case basis unlike desktops where they are all about the same.

What happens when you don't have a GPU your CPU has to do everything.
    -Processing
    -Graphics
    -Sounds
    -ect

If you are building a PC I recommend a lower end sound card ($20-$50) This will allow your CPU to be free. The more you can do with EXTRA components the LESS your CPU must do.
    Believe it or not a sound card, and network card can actually make your computer faster and give you higher frame rates.
    Just checked (I know, I'm kinda slow >.>; ) and I have a ATI Mob. Radeon HD 4250.

I'm checking youtube right now for vids on how to construct a computer. Gonna call Acer this week and see what they say on the matter.

Since the game won't be released for quite some time I'll see what kind of money can be scrapped since building one is cheaper...

there's a whole thread for this like half way down the page O_o

Mill Lilly Harvester ARASHIKAGE's Avatar
    In arms reach of my Snow Queen at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Niloklives View Post
    there's a whole thread for this like half way down the page O_o
    He's not trying to step on your toes Nilok, your thread is linked in the OP.
    ...Although I believe you covered PC building thoroughly myself, it's nice to get multiple sources on this.

What's your take on liquid-cooled systems? I'm probably nitpicking here, but I get so paranoid when the CPU fan makes just that little bit more noise.

Assuming budget isn't a worry, would or would you not make the change to liquid-cooled? Any potential hazards I should be aware of?

Lol Niko, Just think of it as this, One compensates for the other. One tells what to get, the other tells how to make it work.

Thanks to Vashyron =D!

My thread actually does both.