Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Roleplaying

((I've never actually roleplayed in game before, but I do forum rp's all the time. I'm an admin at a Nintendo/Kirby fansite, and honestly all I do there anymore is lurk in the rp forums. Haha. ))
    Phantasy Star Online 2 | Ship 2
    The Ginyu Force
    Lyric

I've always wondered about the status of PSO and PSU.

The history of MMORPGs and RPGs is a dark one....Back then the Genre was actually made and defined as part of an advertisement to actually attract "geeks and nerds" to play video games. A time existed where if you were growing up and you played video games you were considered to be an introverted geek, nerd or dweeb.

Back in Dungeons and Dragons Day....it also had the same negativity....

Here is an old "The Legend of Zelda" Commercial. wow...Youtube really does have almost everything. This was one from 1986

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoXb7PIJYmA

How about the old Final Fantasy II commercial from the US?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PEga...eature=related

Of course....I should stop being a cute little bastard about it...I did like the FF III (US Commercial)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d15qmRzn2Pc

When the Genre emerged, the industry called it RolePlaying Games to actually appeal to the widest "Stereotyped" audience of Gamers....Those who played Paperback Roleplaying Games.

Thing is that many people existed including myself who weren't the stereotypical "Geeks, Nerds and Dweebs" then it became very pissy when industry took those terms and said "The true face of the geek is changing" and I was like "ok. please drop all the terminology" when reading newsweek and Time magazine.

Its a fact the first major PC gamers, willing to spend money on games and hardware (along with the education needed to learn to play these games and run DOS) were people with time enough to learn and always were viewed negatively...

Then something happened in 1992...a public announcement was declared that the true face of gaming will be revealed...It appeared a small group was formed and they wanted to create a genre where you controlled your destiny and the action was fast paced. No one cared.....then in 1993 the original doom was released.

This attracted MANY people outside of "dweebs, nerds and geeks" into playing the game..so much so that everything changed and when Final Fantasy 7 was released.....the genre became more Mainstream....No longer were people waiting for 2 good RPGs every year, and had to stay silent. Many more people were talking about these games...

...but still

Even today those labels exist. In Dungeons and Dragons (paperback/tabletop) people did acted out their character and did their impersonations...same in other tabletop roleplaying games.

No one "acts" out their character physically...it happens digitally in MMORPGs...Due to the way MMORPGs cater to a wide population they have fallen under intense scrutiny. Some games don't even have you roleplay characters. You are class and no background or normal story exists...and you simply just play...

A lot of MMORPG gamers online used to play MUDs and other games...

As for PSU..the majority of people treat it as a beat em up action game because that is exactly what it is....a beat em up action game expressed similarly to RPG character generation terms.

There are true roleplayers in the world....they are professional actors and actresses in TV shows and Movies who go 5 - 10 years to school for Theater Arts.

The only reason we call them MMORPGs and RPGs....(which your character in RPGs is part of the world and is part of a story), is simply because the majority of people who play them even in todays standards are placed in a category and scrutinized....If branded under another name, it wouldn't sell.

I do believe it matters a lot....because a lot of MMORPGs out there have NOTHING TO DO with roleplaying at all.....and there are some where we can question exactly and explicitly how to define "massive multiplayed online" and this debate has been trashed around since the beginning.

What WOULD BE GREAT is to finally get a game that has SOMETHING to do with a CHARACTER BEING PART of the world and actually being central to the story and the environment being affected. This is the reason I am after Guild Wars 2......A belief that at least one game can begin a change...

...because right now MMORPG as a genre has improved graphically but overall has actually degenerated a bit in some aspects. In making the games more social, they have destroyed a lot of what drew people to the genre, but in making games truly for a large population it becomes insanely difficult.

The way I see PSO-2 shaping up is that its going to Shape up like PSO and then PSU shaped up....and then by then when its dying or in the dumps....a new game will come and repeat the whole process.
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

I'm always up for some roleplay. If you are interested, look me up on Ship 2 - Aean Meers, and Ship 10 - Regaia
    PSO2 - Ship 2 - Aean Meers - Human

Yo, mad support...drink a quart then bamboo Itchee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firefiore View Post
    I'm always up for some roleplay. If you are interested, look me up on Ship 2 - Aean Meers, and Ship 10 - Regaia
    The previous posters were referring to PSU-RP. Nice thread necro, by the way.

Thread is now in reference to PSO2-ERP.
    ...there, that should close it again.

/thread
    Itchee: PSP2 - RAcast

Psychotic Asian Goth Girl [Ayumi]'s Avatar

If you make, play, design the character to look, sound, and act like you.
    Is it roleplaying while you're actually your character who portrays you?

Quote Originally Posted by [Ayumi] View Post
    If you make, play, design the character to look, sound, and act like you.
    Is it roleplaying while you're actually your character who portrays you?
    yes, consider it like a playback of an autobiography recording in real time+^_^+ you are role playing yourself in a world filled with lazerz and spaceboatz+^_^+

Psychotic Asian Goth Girl [Ayumi]'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chik'Tikka View Post
    yes, consider it like a playback of an autobiography recording in real time+^_^+ you are role playing yourself in a world filled with lazerz and spaceboatz+^_^+
    If that's the case, I roleplay 100% of the time I'm on almost any online game I've played, heh.
    Mostly Phantasy Star of course as they don't limit me usually in either names or anything.

*Glares at FFXI*