Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Roleplaying

Totally off-topic I know but this brings up a good point-do we have any information on anything open-world? I sure hope so, as previous MMOs have demonstrated that open world environments are really important for MMORPGs in general.

that and if you can even cal phantasy star online a true mmorpg, since you can only have a group of 4.. even though theres now 12 people stuff, you'll still just be in a group of 4. I personally think it's safe to assume that theres just going to be lobbies again.

they would've announced it already otherwise I would guess.

I am a RAmar, and I'm addicted to One Shotting Rappies

pso2: Dodging, Aiming, Machine Gunning, Soon-To-Be-Pwner of the work v.2

Eh, I personally don't think PSO is the best RP game due to its highly instanced nature. Though I wouldn't be the best judge considering I don't RP much myself.

I tried it, but there was something about it I couldn't get into. I'm more interested in gameplay/mechanics.
    "I prefer my history dead. Dead history is writ in ink, the living sort in blood."
    Images in signatures cannot exceed 50,000 bytes. The image in your signature was 73,652 bytes.

Obnoxious Little Frog Malachite's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tehhaxorer View Post
    Totally off-topic I know but this brings up a good point-do we have any information on anything open-world? I sure hope so, as previous MMOs have demonstrated that open world environments are really important for MMORPGs in general.
    It's not happening, at all, lol. Open world is overrated anyway. There's so many things wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldotsk View Post
    Roleplaying changes a bit of perspective to that since you actually get to make friends and be a bit more social. Sure it's silly, but it kind of encourages to the enthusiasm to the gaming. Perhaps you should try it.
    I had tried it when I was like 13, and even back then I was like "holy crap, what the HELL am I doing!?" lol.
    Last edited by Malachite; Aug 16, 2011 at 05:07 PM.

I'm curious why some folks have such a problem with seeing RP as anything other than juvenile.

It's like writing a story cooperatively. When you "play the role" of your character (which you already are just by playing the game, mind you, just on a very shallow level), you're essentially writing for what that character would say (and do, depending on how you handle actions and emotes and such) in any written story. Of course, like all writing, there's huge variances in the level of skill of the participants, which can sometimes make the effort feel wasted - but it's still fun to do, even in a casual sense.

It probably helps to see your character from the third person rather than the first. I, for example, cannot "play" my characters from the first person perspective as it just feels incredibly awkward, not to mention hews rather close to LARPing which I find just goes too far even for someone of my sensibilities. I am not my character, after all - I am me, playing a character I made up. I always stick to the third-person limited narrative mode in my writing, except when I'm writing something that actually, y'know, has to do with me as an individual and not a fictional character I made up. For that matter, I find third-person omniscient to be awkward as well - it's not like I'm somehow able to read your character's mind, y'know. Some things have to be left open to interpretation. Besides, telling people more than they should know will inevitably lead to godmoding, which is just plain irritating.

...Anyways, point is, there is nothing inherently juvenile or pathetic about RPing. It's how you do it that matters.

To me, it just seems silly, in the same way that a 20 year old like myself going outside with a friend and seriously pretending to be a Jedi while having a lightsaber battle is silly. Though, I can honestly say I would still probably do that...

I understand it's appeal, but the grown up part of me would never allow me to go through with it without being like 'snickersnickersnickerlolwtf'.

True fact: Movies are live action RPs and actors are paid RP'ers. Think about it.
    Last edited by Rizen; Aug 16, 2011 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachite View Post
    To me, it just seems silly, in the same way that a 20 year old like myself going outside with a friend and seriously pretending to be a Jedi is silly.

I understand it's appeal, but the grown up part of me would never allow me to go through with it without being like 'snickersnickersnickerlolwtf'.
    Think of it like this,

"There's a time a place for everything."

Quote Originally Posted by Rizen View Post
    True fact: Movies are live action RPs.
    Hehe. I've heard that one before.

It's true, LARPing and acting are really not far removed from one another. Mostly the difference is in the audience and the context. Well, that, and what the general public thinks of as movies generally have budgets in the millions whereas LARPers are generally using homemade props.

Also, quite frankly, a lot of LARPers are terrible, terrible actors. Par for the course, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachite View Post
    To me, it just seems silly, in the same way that a 20 year old like myself going outside with a friend and seriously pretending to be a Jedi while having a lightsaber battle is silly. Though, I can honestly say I would still probably do that...

But... I just explained...

Oh, fie.

Well. Do you think these guys are silly? I think they're pretty impressive, myself.

lol youtube.

i think you meant flash.