Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

@Serephim the "let's be creative" versus "let's ride this for as much as possible" mostly reflects a change in the industry. Games cost a lot more to make, so publishers are taking less chances on games/studios that are innovative and try to go with games with stable sales. The thought process has become, "let's make the next Halo", instead of hitting the drawing board with something fresh.

The ironic thing is, that players are getting bored with the same old genre's repeated over and over again and sales are dropping. So the exact measures they're using to try and keep sales up is what's working against them.

The mentality is similar to hollywood. Hollywood sells movies. They have to keep making movies in order to sell them whether their inspired or not. That's why most of the movies that come out are the same cliche' crap. It's either because they're sticking to a formula, or because they're selling to the youth (because they haven't seen any other movie). It's very rare for someone like Tarantino or Spieldberg to have both economic and creative control of their movies. That's why they often stand out from the rest.

So consoles are not the place to expect innovation, Nintendo makes their money like this. They don't give a shit about what you think the latest Mario game hasn't changed the formula, the seasoned audience is not the target; it's for every 5 year old who hasn't discovered the mushroom kingdom yet. But there are a lot of gems out there, so finding a good game depends on your ability to find them.

>FPS
    >Unique

Well that's funny how most seem to be summed up as brown gritty games with tons of cover, regenerating health, and angry bald men.

Sure jRPGs have taken a pounding in the eyes of the public, but there are still good examples, which are overshadowed by the bad examples (Hi thar, Ideal Factory) wRPGs aren't going to be much better as I'm sure folks will be copying Dragon Age in the wake of things.

The rehash things only works so well due to how most people eat up such things, why else would people keep on buying Modern Warfare 2011, 2012?

Innovation exists on the consoles, but never in the mainstream. You've got to look in the niches.

The particularly irony of the turn of discussion? the 360 had some of the most unique jRPGs while it was otherwise flooded with FPS's and wRPG's (you know before Bioware made them pretty/popular)

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kion View Post
    @Serephim the "let's be creative" versus "let's ride this for as much as possible" mostly reflects a change in the industry. Games cost a lot more to make, so publishers are taking less chances on games/studios that are innovative and try to go with games with stable sales. The thought process has become, "let's make the next Halo", instead of hitting the drawing board with something fresh.

The ironic thing is, that players are getting bored with the same old genre's repeated over and over again and sales are dropping. So the exact measures they're using to try and keep sales up is what's working against them.

The mentality is similar to hollywood. Hollywood sells movies. They have to keep making movies in order to sell them whether their inspired or not. That's why most of the movies that come out are the same cliche' crap. It's either because they're sticking to a formula, or because they're selling to the youth (because they haven't seen any other movie). It's very rare for someone like Tarantino or Spieldberg to have both economic and creative control of their movies. That's why they often stand out from the rest.

So consoles are not the place to expect innovation, Nintendo makes their money like this. They don't give a shit about what you think the latest Mario game hasn't changed the formula, the seasoned audience is not the target; it's for every 5 year old who hasn't discovered the mushroom kingdom yet. But there are a lot of gems out there, so finding a good game depends on your ability to find them.
    Actually...

The mentality is similar to EVERYTHING...

Anime has definitely been doing it since it became popular in america. e_e

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by StriderTuna View Post
    >FPS
    >Unique

Well that's funny how most seem to be summed up as brown gritty games with tons of cover, regenerating health, and angry bald men.

Sure jRPGs have taken a pounding in the eyes of the public, but there are still good examples, which are overshadowed by the bad examples (Hi thar, Ideal Factory) wRPGs aren't going to be much better as I'm sure folks will be copying Dragon Age in the wake of things.

The rehash things only works so well due to how most people eat up such things, why else would people keep on buying Modern Warfare 2011, 2012?

Innovation exists on the consoles, but never in the mainstream. You've got to look in the niches.

The particularly irony of the turn of discussion? the 360 had some of the most unique jRPGs while it was otherwise flooded with FPS's and wRPG's (you know before Bioware made them pretty/popular)
    Well, there are some good FPS titles as well that dont get much attention. Homeworld was a VERY fun FPS experience, and it was kind of a whim demo download off my PSN.

JRPGs....all my favorite series are gone now. Breath of Fire III and Final Fantasy VII were my favorite RPGs. And Squaresoft...man, Threads of Fate, Brave Fencer Musashi, Bushido Blade, Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Trigger.....man, all those great games, but we have nothing to show for it anymore. They've just been slowly trying to turn FF into some stupid movie series. I dont know what made them think anyone wanted a sequel to FFXIII. FFX, yeah, but not XIII. Hopefully it'll be better than XIII, but man i doubt it.

It's like, the less WTFRICH a company is, the better games they make. But people have started spending so much money on shit these days, everyone is too afraid to make any new moves in fear of a flop or failure.

Take us back to the golden age of the Dreamcast, please X_X

"Of their own accord" Enforcer MKV's Avatar
    Somewhere, being an old man again, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Serephim View Post
    Well, there are some good FPS titles as well that dont get much attention. Homeworld was a VERY fun FPS experience, and it was kind of a whim demo download off my PSN.

JRPGs....all my favorite series are gone now. Breath of Fire III and Final Fantasy VII were my favorite RPGs. And Squaresoft...man, Threads of Fate, Brave Fencer Musashi, Bushido Blade, Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Trigger.....man, all those great games, but we have nothing to show for it anymore. They've just been slowly trying to turn FF into some stupid movie series. I dont know what made them think anyone wanted a sequel to FFXIII. FFX, yeah, but not XIII. Hopefully it'll be better than XIII, but man i doubt it.

It's like, the less WTFRICH a company is, the better games they make. But people have started spending so much money on shit these days, everyone is too afraid to make any new moves in fear of a flop or failure.

Take us back to the golden age of the Dreamcast, please X_X
    That single highlighted section is every problem in a nutshell, excluding Bobby kotick, who's ego does not allow confinement in such a small space.

Seriously, I'm usually not a hater, but Kotick needs to die in a fire. Let the man drown in a tub of his ill-gotten money.
    Enforcer MkX [TE/RA]: Critically injured
    Violet MkV [BR/HU]: On active duty

Quote Originally Posted by Kion View Post
    They don't give a shit about what you think the latest Mario game hasn't changed the formula, the seasoned audience is not the target; it's for every 5 year old who hasn't discovered the mushroom kingdom yet.
    I beg to differ entirely. As much as the anti-Nintendo crowd likes to throw around that kind of trash talk, it's simply not true. Besides being platformers, almost every single Mario game (I'm talking about real Mario games, none of that Party crap) has had major changes to its gameplay formula. Also, the newer they are, the more they tend to be ripe with references to the oldschool games; that isn't for the kids who don't get the references, it's for the older crowd who grew up on the older games. Being kid friendly doesn't take away that those games can be enjoyed by anyone, and hold specific content for seasoned gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
    I beg to differ entirely. As much as the anti-Nintendo crowd likes to throw around that kind of trash talk, it's simply not true. Besides being platformers, almost every single Mario game (I'm talking about real Mario games, none of that Party crap) has had major changes to its gameplay formula. Also, the newer they are, the more they tend to be ripe with references to the oldschool games; that isn't for the kids who don't get the references, it's for the older crowd who grew up on the older games. Being kid friendly doesn't take away that those games can be enjoyed by anyone, and hold specific content for seasoned gamers.
    I tend to agree with you. from what I've seen, it's more like the games are just switching it up, I mean, yeah, sure, it's a platformer, and there are parts that have to be there, but they have a good bit of variety in each new installment. Even their remakes have variety to them.

Of course, there are franchises like Kirby, in a lot of those games, the gameplay is more or less the same, maybe some new powers. but then, they pull something like Kirbies Epic Yarn. And just for the record, I love that little pink puff ball. He's adorable. And awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer MKV View Post
    Of course, there are franchises like Kirby, in a lot of those games, the gameplay is more or less the same, maybe some new powers. but then, they pull something like Kirbies Epic Yarn. And just for the record, I love that little pink puff ball. He's adorable. And awesome.
    I'm a huge fan of Kirby (the original Dream Land was my first Game Boy game back in the day), and his games tend to go back and forth. About half of them stick more to the Kirby's Adventure formula (fairly simple platformers with powers and whatnot) while the other half can be just about anything (all the way from pinball to angle-controlled mini-putt and from jewel-collecting yarn characters to split personality control). Naturally, all of those are also filled to the brim with cute.
    Last edited by Bushido; Aug 27, 2011 at 04:53 PM.

I for one am actually GLAD that games seem to be slumping more now, it's going to force companies to do thing's they've either A, Never considered, B, to do thing's they HAVE considered but were too scared to implement, and C, will force them to look for outside help to revolutionize the industry. As it is I STILL manage to find titles I know i'll be able to enjoy that's a bit more of the same old song and dance, like METRO 2033 Last light, for all intents people have and will call it a CoD clone, and a grey, brown, cover ladden regenerating health bullet throwing simulator.

SO WHAT! lol the game's predecessor had one of the most immersive and wonderful stories i've ever encountered in gaming, PSO2 looks to be simply expanding on it's series roots and with a little hope updating an already well loved and well defined game series with more modern thing's. Oddly enough I find myself less drawn to games getting massive amounts of hype, and pomp, like the new Warhammer 40k game, looks neat, but just reminds me of Dynasty warriors with guns and less open space, and GUNS, while fun it's not exactly making me froth at the mouth as the games publishers and ad execs are pushing for.

You just gotta define what it is you want your games to do and be, sounds difficult, but truthfully it's easy, look back in your own history and look at the games you FELT something with, link those games over the years and you begin to see what it is you want from them.

I want an enthralling tale that's BEGGING to be told with well defined characters and a simple interface, I shouldn't NEED a freaking tutorial or hand holding to enjoy my game. Followed by games that were MEANT to be GAME'S, little bundles of polygons meant to ensnare you with it's simplicity, vivid colors, and simple storylines, Mario, Sonic, Megaman X and the like are PRIME examples.

I think people are starting to get frustrated with the fact that games are becoming less what we WANT them to be and people are going to be forced to listen when the latest AAA title sinks a once proud Giant, FF XIV ANYONE!? how about Duke Nukem Forever!?

Games will get better when the core Audience is able to speak up with it's wallet and better tell game developers what they are itching for, best way to do that is with your own freaking mind.

Happy gaming all.
    Last edited by Hatemachine; Aug 27, 2011 at 05:32 PM.

Hatemachine, you sir, are amazing. It's nice to find another person who liked Metro. That game was so good, despite it's flaws.