View Poll Results: Should players craft items for the apartments in pso2?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 23.26%
  • NO

19 44.19%
  • Maybe

12 27.91%
  • I don't get it?

2 4.65%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Remove the failure rate that PSU had and I don't see a problem as long as the shit doesn't take months to acquire.

Quote Originally Posted by Orochinagi View Post
    I liked the old PSO way of having no shops because it added a more personal interactive experience due to having to trade for items. Meseta was pretty much just for buying recovery items and the occassional ??? items that you wanted to unlock. The only positive thing about PSU shops was the fact that you can still obtain an item from another person without them having to be currently logged on. If they could combine these in a way such as, having the player shops but for each item, instead of selling for meseta, they could give you the alternative to place your item for sale, but the conditions of the sale could be changed to the possible items you would accept for trade, along with whatever percentage range you would allow. I.E.- I place a Agito Repca+12 100% Native in my shop in exchange for a Psycho Wand +12 50 to 100% Machine. And you had a Psycho Wand that met my conditions, it would allow you to exchange with my shop, without me being there. Creative idea, but I HIGHLY doubt that Sega will employ something like this in PSO2.
    I have to disagree with this. PSU's My Room feature was amazing, ESPECIALLY for trading items.

I absolutely loved the item search feature, and then getting to walk into other peoples rooms to see all their stuff and warez they were selling.

I'd never want to see that go. I just...dont want a rare item to drop, just to find out it's a lawn chair.

or even worse:

*Synth Kan Yu board*

*2 hours later*

*monomate*

Quote Originally Posted by Serephim View Post
    I have to disagree with this. PSU's My Room feature was amazing, ESPECIALLY for trading items.

I absolutely loved the item search feature, and then getting to walk into other peoples rooms to see all their stuff and warez they were selling.

I'd never want to see that go. I just...dont want a rare item to drop, just to find out it's a lawn chair.

or even worse:

*Synth Kan Yu board*

*2 hours later*

*monomate*
    Totally concur. Loved the shopping experience and going to people's rooms. Just not the abysmal chance for successful synthing after acquiring various rare materials and getting excited over a red box just to find some silly room deco.

If there's one thing PSU got right despite all of its mistakes, it was the shop search function. You could search by all sorts of filters: rarity, item type, elemental %, which one was the cheapest, etc., and then you could warp directly to the room that was selling it. Granted, there were a few small things that made searching a bit difficult (like searching for "Psycho Wand" giving you a bunch of other wand weapons), but other than that, I thought it was very well done. I hope PSO2 uses something similar.

My FFXIV:ARR Lodestone Page
    3DS Friend Code: 0318-8097-4335
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Hearthstone

No. I don't want any crafting in this game. I hated it in PSU. Like someone said, the rares hardly ever dropped and then when they did you would usually either fail or get a crappy elemental percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Orochinagi View Post
    If anything, I'd rather accept something like weapon-fusion (similar to KUF: COD) with more unique possibilities for everyone.

I like that Idea "Weapon Fusion". I think SEGA should consider it. That's different.

Crafting sucked the fun out of PSU. PSO worked perfectly fine without it.
    And I don't want to waste hours working on crafting items when I could be out hunting for rares, NOT rare parts.
    PSZ: DECOY! (HUcaseal)
    PSZ: Kelemvorite (RAmar)
    PSZ: Troubadour (FOnewmn)
    Friend Code: 3610 2919 6664

PSO's simple systems worked perfect for just about everything.

Materials increased stats without having to go through most crap that other games put you through

Grinders increased strength on weapons without some ridiculous synthesis system requiring an NPC, tons of stupid items, success/failure rates, blah blah

Mags allowed you to increased stats without some ridiculous "rebirth system" that forces you to endure grinding AGAIN (who actually enjoys that?)

Tekkers allowed you to find weapons with varied stats and special abilies without a synthesis system

And finally, S-rank weapons eventually gave players a system for weapon customization, even if it was only on a single model.

If there's ever a synthesis system, i want it to be like PSO's S-rank weapon system, where you simply gather items and fuse them into your weapon to increase specific stats. No failure rates, no breaking. Just experimentation and constant improvement.

THAT is a good synthesis system. All this failure crap is just to purposfully set you back so you'll feel like you have to keep playing longer. However if they just slightly lower the rate of your increase (have the increasing items be somewhat rare), then there's no problem!

Edit:

More importantly, MAGs and Materials allowed you to not only increase your character beyond limits / without leveling, but they also allowed you to increase your character without even PLAYING your character. As materials are long sought after for higher-ranked characters, they can always be made a high-value market item that still gives Meseta a use after you've hit lv200 (among other things, of course) If that isn't a great way to enjoy multiple alts, then i dont know what is, man. PSO's systems may have had a few flaws, but they were genius ideas.
    Last edited by Serephim; Sep 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM.

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Give me instant craft time (or at least, less than one minute per item max), give me a reduced number of materials (such that there aren't more materials than consumables), and give me a 100% success rate. Then I'll start liking crafting.
    Sorry to switch games on you, but one thing that WoW does terrible with its crafting is having too many items, which might take so long to get that you may as well just hunt for already made gear with better stats, at least in low levels. The only reason to craft in that game is if you're already capped, in which case you need to spend weeks getting the craft from 1 to the current cap. Once you already reach cap, however, crafting becomes much better. You only need to deal with a few different types of materials for basic gear, and hunting the items for high end gear is not much more work than getting them normally.

So, what would I hope for with PSO2's crafting (I'm sure you're asking me. No? Well I'm telling you anyway)? Well, I like the idea of crafting your own room materials, first of all. However, they should all use the same materials to craft them (none of this 1% drop rate dragon's fang to make a dragon's head), so that you're just spending items you're getting anyway, and making something you really want is just a matter of saving up. And same for weapons, though maybe making the materials tiered might be a better idea (each rank of a mission dropping a material type corresponding to that mission level, so that your bags aren't filled with obsolete materials).
    People don't like the idea of hunting for weapon parts instead of just the weapon. However, I kinda like the idea of making your own custom weapon. As an example, I don't want to go around hunting for a spear, then end up getting an axe. Sure, one might say that trading the axe for a spear someone else got might be fun, but I kinda like the idea of finding a few items, and fusing them together to make my own spear. That being said, I didn't like PSU's crafting. There were far too many items to keep track of, and they took up far too much bag space. Keep the material count simple, and we might have a fun system.

crafting systems always fail because they simply try to be too intricate, and in doing so simply discourage you from ever wasting your time trying it because it's usually not worth it.

Those who are masochistic enough to actually use it to the fullest get far in the game. But it's never been enough for most people to care, which is why they're not good for gameplay.

Just look at FF14.