Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Kingdom Hearts AI (Was PSO/U AI)

Im 20 years old....It really doesn't matter, i was playing games for 16+ year olds when i was in the 5th grade.

They could work on "strong" AI, but you really have to wonder about what that even means. What would you call a "strong" AI?

If you mean an AI that you cant simply cheese to death, then that's not really a strong AI but a solid battle system and a versatile AI. But even the most solid battle engines can have moves in them that make fights extremely simple. (Kingdom Hearts II was programmed pretty damn well. It was easy as shit.)

I think they have 2 paths to take -- they can make each enemy be able to adapt to different situations (which can backfire if done wrong), or they can do what PSO did, and have varied enemies that are good at attacking one type of playstyle, but vulnerable to another.

For instance, an enemy that can close distance fast and easy is a problem for a Ranger, whereas an enemy that has no problem making distance is an issue for a hunter. Any enemy that is dangerous at both close range, with a powerful attack for long range situations (Dark Beldra, Chaos Bringer, Delbiter) is an all-around very powerful enemy, because you are FORCED to acknowledge its existence from anywhere in the room. If you're undoubtedly drawing attention no matter where you are in the room, but you're still vulnerable up close, then you're probably a Force character / Magic Monster.

If you were to throw a bunch of varied-type enemies in a room, you're forced to adapt to many situations at once, to put yourself in a position where you can safely fight. It also encourages good teamwork.

So, it's not a matter of "strong AI" or "no reskins". It's just a matter of good game design.
    Last edited by RemiusTA; Oct 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RemiusTA View Post
    Im 20 years old....It really doesn't matter, i was playing games for 16+ year olds when i was in the 5th grade.

They could work on "strong" AI, but you really have to wonder about what that even means. What would you call a "strong" AI?

If you mean an AI that you cant simply cheese to death, then that's not really a strong AI but a solid battle system and a versatile AI. But even the most solid battle engines can have moves in them that make fights extremely simple. (Kingdom Hearts II was programmed pretty damn well. It was easy as shit.)

I think they have 2 paths to take -- they can make each enemy be able to adapt to different situations (which can backfire if done wrong), or they can do what PSO did, and have varied enemies that are good at attacking one type of playstyle, but vulnerable to another.

For instance, an enemy that can close distance fast and easy is a problem for a Ranger, whereas an enemy that has no problem making distance is an issue for a hunter. Any enemy that is dangerous at both close range, with a powerful attack for long range situations (Dark Beldra, Chaos Bringer, Delbiter) is an all-around very powerful enemy, because you are FORCED to acknowledge its existence from anywhere in the room. If you're undoubtedly drawing attention no matter where you are in the room, but you're still vulnerable up close, then you're probably a Force character / Magic Monster.

If you were to throw a bunch of varied-type enemies in a room, you're forced to adapt to many situations at once, to put yourself in a position where you can safely fight. It also encourages good teamwork.

So, it's not a matter of "strong AI" or "no reskins". It's just a matter of good game design.
    The thing I like about KH's AI and Battle systems is that it feels like you're immersed in these crazy battles, without it feeling like you're only pressing one button an watching. Especially during the fast paced boss battles.

You can just mash one button and see how far you get, till the enemy slips right passed you and 2 hit kills you. Or you can actually dodge, block, counter, and look for certain spells that are useful for different enemies and be able to say you've won with strategy and timing.

It's like it's easy, but if you take don't pay attention you will get punished. Well for sure for all the recent games at least on the hardest difficulty... On KH2 I just remember mashing X. Ane of course this is the only other hack n slash/action RPG I play so ehn.

PsP2 felt like it was building up some kind of good battle system, with chains and blocking and dodging becoming necessary. But eventually it had that same "You don't have to try and you can use the same attacks to kill everything" feeling after a while as well. :\

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

KH2 was a super fun game. I think KH1 had a much better battle system for skill (Ice Titan was super fun, Sephiroth was about 20x harder, and Kurt Zisa was a bitch), but KH2 still had its moments. The only issue was i was barely ever afraid of being killed.

The only thing that made KH2 like that though was the way the Guard+Counterattack worked and that damn Reflectaga spell, which you could literally spam and defeat every boss in the game with.

Well, that, and Sora was just fucking jesus in that game. Seriously, he was a god damn beast -- Valor Form was my favorite in the game, but when i randomly unlocked Final Form, i was just like "man you bitches can just bend over now"

Aside from that, KH2 was a great game. The battle engine felt really good.

Birth By Sleep was alot less floaty-based, and had an old KH1 feeling to the technical skill of the fights...but some of the endgame bosses were SO fucking difficult at times that you had to literally abuse the Dodge Roll mechanic and like 1 or 2 safe specials to kill them.

FFXIIIVersus is never coming out in life, but it looks like it's gonna be KH2 on graphical stempacks. If they can get the game to look like this then it's gonna be the best game to ever leave japan in the last 10 years.

KH2 was a super fun game. I think KH1 had a much better battle system for skill (Ice Titan was super fun, Sephiroth was about 20x harder, and Kurt Zisa was a bitch), but KH2 still had its moments. The only issue was i was barely ever afraid of being killed.

The only thing that made KH2 like that though was the way the Guard+Counterattack worked and that damn Reflectaga spell, which you could literally spam and defeat every boss in the game with.

Well, that, and Sora was just fucking jesus in that game. Seriously, he was a god damn beast -- Valor Form was my favorite in the game, but when i randomly unlocked Final Form, i was just like "man you bitches can just bend over now"

Aside from that, KH2 was a great game. The battle engine felt really good.

Birth By Sleep was alot less floaty-based, and had an old KH1 feeling to the technical skill of the fights...but some of the endgame bosses were SO fucking difficult at times that you had to literally abuse the Dodge Roll mechanic and like 1 or 2 safe specials to kill them.

FFXIIIVersus is never coming out in life, but it looks like it's gonna be KH2 on graphical stempacks. If they can get the game to look like this then it's gonna be the best game to ever leave japan in the last 10 years.
    Yeah I just beat the BBS on critical, at first the game felt impossible, but if you grind and use the right spells, even the last boss turns into a ragdoll, for ven's story at least so far.

I started BBS on Proud because of how loleasy KH2 was on normal.

Boy, was I in for a surprise...i was amazed that the reason i found out i was losing is because the game actually does not allow you to mash X or specials to win.

I beat the game with Ven (bastard that teleported while getting hit was an asshole), and then went to terra's story only to be screwed because of how slow he was compared to Ven. He felt so damn vulnerable after attacking compared to Ventus and his in-your-asshole fighting speed.

That wheelmaster raped me so many times....but im happy the game had 2 characters that felt very different. And that style drive system (that changed depending on what you used) was a healthy departure from the KH2 one. the BBS battle system was actually pretty damn good.
    Last edited by RemiusTA; Oct 2, 2011 at 11:17 PM.

I started BBS on Proud because of how loleasy KH2 was on normal.

Boy, was I in for a surprise...
    Yeah, I'm playing the other two stories on normal modes now... Choosing critical for a first run, I thought it'd be a breeze since I beat the Re:coded on critical and heard it was harder than BBS... by the time I was getting embarassed left and right by CAPTAIN FUCKING HOOK, I wanted to start over from scratch. Till I discovered fire spells made him a bitch... again.

edit: but yeah making this on topic again, I'd rather there be that one strategy for every enemy that almost makes them entirely useless if done properly, than just being able to spam any PA you want and be nearly 100% efficient just because it does damage in general.
    Last edited by NoiseHERO; Oct 2, 2011 at 11:21 PM.

HAHAHAHA Oh fuck man

I remember when Chain of Memories came out, i had the game on GBA emulator before it was translated into english, so i was basically just kind of playing the game to be playing...

Captian hook kicked my ass so bad i just stopped playing the game.

Was I the only one that didn't spam the dodge button? The person who stopped me was the last larxene battle.

CoM sucked. > A < Talk about tedious. I gave up after I finished Sora's story - "There's MORE!? Riku's story!? Forget this shiz!"

Quote Originally Posted by chaos-shadow View Post
    CoM sucked. > A < Talk about tedious. I gave up after I finished Sora's story - "There's MORE!? Riku's story!? Forget this shiz!"
    Yeah at first it was cool because I liked the battle system especially on a GBA game and the graphics as well, but running around in block shaped rooms for hours looking for that one card to open one door, to progress the re-hashed story for the worlds got on my nerves. So I'm like "fuck that I'm selling this game" once they tell you to play as Riku.

But it didn't help that I didn't even like Riku till the end of KH2, But now I hate him again anyway because they never brought back his casual looking clothes.