Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    That one place you may or may not have been... East-side

Default Japan diet v.s. American diet

Our diet sucks in america. We think we're so smart and know everything, we can't even eat well enough to take care of our lives and bodies. Animals out in nature know how to take care of themselves and know what to do, but the technologically superior, 2 thumbed, genius, highly intelligent human being haven't figured out what the animals have? This is basic common sense. And we wonder why we get diseases and die early, and kids get "ADHD", and can't sit still, then have the nerve to drug them up. A lot of these diseases are preventable, do some research. We're supposed to be superior right? What gives...? Come on America, we're supposed to be the best nation in the World, and we haven't figured out this basic principle?

Last edited by washuguy; Dec 15, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
    1 Corinthians 13 Love suffers long, is kind, envies not, isn't puffed up, doesn't behave unseemly, seeks not it's own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil, rejoices not in sin, but rejoices in truth, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things, love never fails... (MATTHEW 24:3-51)

To completely blanket the whole country for maybe SOME of the US populations diet is just not how it works man.

I live in the US; been had not a damn bit of problems in terms of diet.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

"Someone's got a case of the suppose'tas!"

Japanese stuff is high in sodium, well known.

They're even over-fishing to the point of removing a species of animal from the face of the Earth, and scoff at the farm raised version of it.

& that grey pointy fishcake in Oden is pretty freaky man.

This thing?

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

Remember it being hollowed out shaped and like a clock gear too. Googlin search of where how they make that = the devil.

But also some Tamagotchi mascot version.

And a fat food meal co.jp, with not superior country, but DPAD

A few quick notes first:

First off, keep in mind that "Nutritionist" is not a legally protected term. Anybody can call themselves a nutritionist without having to know jack shit about nutrition. The protected term is "Dietician". Dieticians are like Dentists, while Nutritionists are "Toothilogists".

Secondly, while Japan is certainly one of the thinnest industrialized nations in the world, obesity rates in Japan are climbing. In fact, they have tripled over the last 40~50 years to about 29% (WHO 2011). JASSO (Japan Society for the Study of Obesity) contributes this rise to the introduction of foods with higher calorie content (especially fast foods), sedentary lifestyles, and irregular eating patterns.

Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition: Criteria and classification of obesity in Japan and Asia-Oceania

World Health Organization: Obesity comparison

Quote Originally Posted by washuguy View Post
    We think we're so smart and know everything
    The only ones who think we know everything, are ironically, typically the most ignorant. We know a lot... a hell of a lot... but compared to what we don't know, we're still just starting our process of discovery.

Animals out in nature know how to take care of themselves and know what to do
    Actually, it's quite the opposite. Animals in nature are frequently malnourished, diseased from drinking and eating contaminated food/water, and often riddled with parasites. Further, when placed into a safe environment of plenty, animals will typically display the same over-eating, preference eating, and will suffer many of the same or similar deleterious health effects. (eg, increased rates of cardiovascular damage and diabetes)

And we wonder why we get diseases and die early
    Our lifespan in the wild is a scant 25 to 35 years, and actually hadn't changed that much until roughly the advent of the industrial revolution. Today, our average lifespans are between 75 and 90 years depending on which developed nation you live in... noticeably lower in impoverished/exploited nations, and still a pathetic 30 years in some place like Swaziland. While this has mostly been attributed to lowering infant/maternal mortality rates, plentiful food does boost the total. Rates of starvation and malnutrition in contemporary society are far lower than those in modern tribal hunter-gatherer societies.

Secondly, over-eating and the eating of sweet high-calorie foods is written into our very genetic code. Think about it for a moment, when you're living in an environment of high competition and have to hunt for food, you're going to have long periods of scarcity when the game gets away, or a drought ruins the vegetation. We needed those calorie reserves to get us through those periods, but our biology hasn't caught up with our society. Evolution works by selection, so in a way... these changes in our biology won't be effected until more and more people die of these diet related issues - one of the very things you're railing against. Still, it may take quite a while since there's not a great deal of pressure against those traits as they typically develop past reproductive age. You'll probably have a greater exertion of force on it by sexual selection against general overweight bodytypes.

Otherwise, we can either try to exert self-control and mimic the conditions of our ancestors (while still keeping optimal nutrition and food safety) by eating right and exercising often... or we can develop gene therapies to reprogram our biology. Such work is already well underway on several fat-insulin receptors like daf-2.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/277/5328/942.short

Abstract:
    Spoiler!

Another area to investigate would be the potential manufacture of a synthetic version of the protein ApoA-1 Milano, or a gene therapy treatment targeted at getting the body to produce this variant of apolipoprotein A1 on it's own by swapping out an amino acid @ R173C. It was a mutation first discovered in a family living in Limone sul Garda in northern Italy who were found to have chronically low HDL levels. What it does is allow the body to effectively remove cholesterol and plaques from the heart, liver, and arterial walls. The family has virtually no history of heart disease despite high risk eating habits.

PDF Endocrinology Rounds: (source starting on page 4)

JAMA: Effect of Recombinant ApoA-I Milano on Coronary Atherosclerosis in Patients With Acute Coronary Syndromes
    (Study had a small sample size though, but it's promising)

We're supposed to be superior right?
    No, we're not. We're just another creature on this Earth, same as every other creature. We're not special, just highly specialized in one particular trait which happened to have a high degree of utility.

Are arms are not superior to a bird's when it comes to generating lift. Our nails are not superior to a cat's claws when it comes to hunting prey. Our digestive system is not superior to a cow's when it comes to fermenting fibrous vegetative materials. Our lungs and hemoglobin are not superior to a whale's when it comes to extracting, holding, and releasing O2.

---------------------

If you want to listen to someone on YouTube who knows what they hell they're talking about on the matter, might I suggest you check out C0nc0rdance's videos.

Last edited by Sinue_v2; Dec 16, 2011 at 04:59 AM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

I wanna click on that first video because the Japanese school girls, but I don't wanna listen to some retarded preachy psuedo PETA message. Decisions.

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

That one place you may or may not have been... East-side

Quote Originally Posted by HAYABUSA-FMW- View Post
    "Someone's got a case of the suppose'tas!"

Japanese stuff is high in sodium, well known.

They're even over-fishing to the point of removing a species of animal from the face of the Earth, and scoff at the farm raised version of it.

& that grey pointy fishcake in Oden is pretty freaky man.
    The sodium factor i'm aware of... Have you seen a pack of the instant noodles? LOL didn't know about the fishing thing though, that's crazy. Also, I don't see the problem with farm raised fish.

Quote Originally Posted by AC9breaker View Post
    I wanna click on that first video because the Japanese school girls, but I don't wanna listen to some retarded preachy psuedo PETA message. Decisions.
    WATCH THE VIDEO DOG GONNIT!!!! LOL It's not a PETA message, you won't catch me posting a PETA video on this site, or any. I don't rock with PETA. The video is about healthy eating, and compares American average diet, with Japans average diet that's loaded with things good for you (Usually). The video challenges us basically to think about what we're eating and why. I'm trying to help you make wise food choices for good health.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    A few quick notes first:

First off, keep in mind that "Nutritionist" is not a legally protected term. Anybody can call themselves a nutritionist without having to know jack shit about nutrition. The protected term is "Dietician". Dieticians are like Dentists, while Nutritionists are "Toothilogists".

Secondly, while Japan is certainly one of the thinnest industrialized nations in the world, obesity rates in Japan are climbing. In fact, they have tripled over the last 40~50 years to about 29% (WHO 2011). JASSO (Japan Society for the Study of Obesity) contributes this rise to the introduction of foods with higher calorie content (especially fast foods), sedentary lifestyles, and irregular eating patterns.

Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition: Criteria and classification of obesity in Japan and Asia-Oceania

World Health Organization: Obesity comparison

The only ones who think we know everything, are ironically, typically the most ignorant. We know a lot... a hell of a lot... but compared to what we don't know, we're still just starting our process of discovery.

Actually, it's quite the opposite. Animals in nature are frequently malnourished, diseased from drinking and eating contaminated food/water, and often riddled with parasites. Further, when placed into a safe environment of plenty, animals will typically display the same over-eating, preference eating, and will suffer many of the same or similar deleterious health effects. (eg, increased rates of cardiovascular damage and diabetes)

Our lifespan in the wild is a scant 25 to 35 years, and actually hadn't changed that much until roughly the advent of the industrial revolution. Today, our average lifespans are between 75 and 90 years depending on which developed nation you live in... noticeably lower in impoverished/exploited nations, and still a pathetic 30 years in some place like Swaziland. While this has mostly been attributed to lowering infant/maternal mortality rates, plentiful food does boost the total. Rates of starvation and malnutrition in contemporary society are far lower than those in modern tribal hunter-gatherer societies.

Secondly, over-eating and the eating of sweet high-calorie foods is written into our very genetic code. Think about it for a moment, when you're living in an environment of high competition and have to hunt for food, you're going to have long periods of scarcity when the game gets away, or a drought ruins the vegetation. We needed those calorie reserves to get us through those periods, but our biology hasn't caught up with our society. Evolution works by selection, so in a way... these changes in our biology won't be effected until more and more people die of these diet related issues - one of the very things you're railing against. Still, it may take quite a while since there's not a great deal of pressure against those traits as they typically develop past reproductive age. You'll probably have a greater exertion of force on it by sexual selection against general overweight bodytypes.

Otherwise, we can either try to exert self-control and mimic the conditions of our ancestors (while still keeping optimal nutrition and food safety) by eating right and exercising often... or we can develop gene therapies to reprogram our biology. Such work is already well underway on several fat-insulin receptors like daf-2.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/277/5328/942.short

Abstract:
    Spoiler!

Another area to investigate would be the potential manufacture of a synthetic version of the protein ApoA-1 Milano, or a gene therapy treatment targeted at getting the body to produce this variant of apolipoprotein A1 on it's own by swapping out an amino acid @ R173C. It was a mutation first discovered in a family living in Limone sul Garda in northern Italy who were found to have chronically low HDL levels. What it does is allow the body to effectively remove cholesterol and plaques from the heart, liver, and arterial walls. The family has virtually no history of heart disease despite high risk eating habits.

PDF Endocrinology Rounds: (source starting on page 4)

JAMA: Effect of Recombinant ApoA-I Milano on Coronary Atherosclerosis in Patients With Acute Coronary Syndromes
    (Study had a small sample size though, but it's promising)

No, we're not. We're just another creature on this Earth, same as every other creature. We're not special, just highly specialized in one particular trait which happened to have a high degree of utility.

Are arms are not superior to a bird's when it comes to generating lift. Our nails are not superior to a cat's claws when it comes to hunting prey. Our digestive system is not superior to a cow's when it comes to fermenting fibrous vegetative materials. Our lungs and hemoglobin are not superior to a whale's when it comes to extracting, holding, and releasing O2.

---------------------

If you want to listen to someone on YouTube who knows what they hell they're talking about on the matter, might I suggest you check out C0nc0rdance's videos.

High Fructose Corn Syrup - YouTube

Raw Food - YouTube

Raw Food Pt 2 - YouTube
    I guess part of my point of posting this video was to eventually show that we naturally do the wrong thing. The foods WE MAKE typically are bad for you. We use synthetic materials, synthetic vitamins, refined sugars, nutrient deficient food, enriched bleached foods etc. And we eat these things like it's normal! The body needs nutrients to live, PERIOD. BUT, we don't eat to get nutrients, it's like we're just figuring these things out. You know the phrase "we dig our graves with our teeth?" Eat to live, don't live for the sole purpose of eating. Nutrients first, enjoyment later.

Earlier I made the point that pretty much every sickness and disease comes from a nutrient deficiency, i'll look up a link later and show you a list of vitamins and what happens when you lack them. We've been on this planet for awhile now... And we still can't figure this out...? What's wrong with us? Now we have people that want bills passed to take away herbs, and label nutrients and vitamins as toxins, and have them irradiated. That's plain stupidity, these things we're naturally put here, and now you're passing a bill to take them away? Not only that, but these things are good for you, so what gives? Zapping animals up with hormones? Why is Mcdonalds more easily accessible than fruits and veggies? Especially herbs and spices. This is wrong... We've got a generation coming up that probably doesn't even know what real food is, cause we've been conditioned by our society. Some people DON'T HAVE A CHOICE, but some of this food should ONLY be eaten as a last resort, or if your money is tight.

But on the subject of animals, I won't argue about them being malnourished, i'll like to look into that myself. However, they're systems seem to be more advanced than ours, their systems can handle more than ours, so all the more we should be taking care of our fragile systems. Also, I think part of the animals being malnourished is cause we threw nature off course. We're hurting the planet, and the animals can only go along with what they have. We dump waste into the water, pollute the air we and they breathe, and just in general hurting the natural course of nature. So it's not their fault alone that they don't get what they need, it's ours too. But something in them is able to take the bad, an use it for good. We have it to a degree, but we've been exposed to the bad to long, animals/insects can take the bad and use it as food for a limited time, but naturally they're supposed to eat what's not made by human hand. our bodies aren't designed to handle it, it just store up the toxins and poison, bad fats etc. A lot of people have testimonies of eating right (Some go raw, some vegan, some just balanced their diets or fasted for awhile) and being healed of diseases, tumors, cancers, all types of things, and yet we're not as a whole taking advantage?

Thanks for the videos, I appreciate the knowledge.
    Last edited by Outrider; Dec 19, 2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: T-T-T-TRIPLE POST
    1 Corinthians 13 Love suffers long, is kind, envies not, isn't puffed up, doesn't behave unseemly, seeks not it's own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil, rejoices not in sin, but rejoices in truth, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things, love never fails... (MATTHEW 24:3-51)

Man I love to eat pie and ice cream. I do it all the time.

Well our diets may be unhealthy, but your not gonna see a freaking dog or a cat on the menu anywhere over here, just sayin.
    Forget Backspacing, Delete that S***