Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humor curiosity

Default Humor curiosity

How many of you are into Dry, Insult and Morbid Humor?

Its a subculture in shooters to come out with humor that in the real world would be sick, saddistic or otherwise unacceptable by a lot of groups....However its similar to military humor too.

I remember when I was a kid a professor telling me "Your study habits make clay dolls tangible by comparison" and my reply to that was "....and your intelligence makes Rome look like the High Renaissance"

Then there was a woman who likes the insult humor. She lived in Athens and we would talk of art history and a lot of cool things. She one days said to me "I like Americans, they go Sparta on everything! Ebonics anyone?" and I replied to her "oh where is Persepolis when you need them!" ^_^

Then in shooter games with sniper rifles, because a lot of us love snipers but hate being sniped..

"North, South, East or West...All roads lead to a bullet up your ass" ^_^

Then in UT2004 years ago, I was with a friend and we both blew up because of the double damage powerup being used by the player and i said "look on the bright side, at least its purple"

Then I showed the original UT to my girlfriend and she said "Oh look! Its UT for girls?" and I didn't understand until I found that the UT disks were colored pink!

Anyone ever played Quake 3 Arena's Capture the Flag? If you died right next to your flag poll with the enemy flag, an announcer sent a global message to all players saying "Denied"

...and who can forget everyone's favorite announcer? The original UT announcer that sounds like a pissed off prison-inmate with a deep voice who is tired of seeing a bunch of amateurs kill and wants to get in there with his deep voice and killing spree your ass.

Then comes Civilization humor. Civilization is a game series where each player picks a civilization, then start at 4000 BC and attempt to build a civilization. The humor comes in how a civilization turns out....

I remember after a long conversation with my mother, I told her "Don't worry, I try to be fair."

Then civilization puts a pop up immediately

"Congratulations, you have discovered Slavery!"

How about creating like 20 - 30 units and all of a sudden getting pop up saying "You have discovered Taoism" in Civ 4.

Then there was that shooter map I created. Tested it with 10 players and everyone kept blowing each other up and for some reason the game bugged and didn't clean the blood of the dead players, so a lot of the textures are coated in blood splatter...

...and im like

"Its Dejavu all over again! I feel bad for the one who does the housekeeping"

Specially when walking over your own corpse....

I remember in PSO when I first did Ultimate mode and all the Rappies would Peck you to death. Then going through the caves and reading the enemy names "Pal Shark" anyone? Yes, Jaws wants to befriend me!

The only thing sadder than that....was the day the Tuba player who did that famous piece from Jaws died and it was playing on every local radio station.

I mean...

Are any of you into this type of crazy humor. I still laugh when PSU NPCs call certain enemies "Cute" and they get one-shotted by them.
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

I generally believe I'm into dry/sarcastic and black humor. Definitely the former, not so much the latter unless it's really funny, but most (if not all) of the examples above didn't seem funny to me. I guess I just have a different taste than you do.

An example of black humor to me would be: "All extremists should be taken out and shot." or "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, and it's 100% fatal."

Also, for future reference (pet peeve): "[It's deja vu] all over again!" is redundant.
    How can I possibly put a new idea into your heads, if I do not first remove your delusions?

I absolutely love dry wit humor, but sometimes I also find black humor hilarious.

Funny enough. Dry Wit, and/or dark humor is something I kind of grew up on, watching stuff. Everything from all the BBC stuff I watched, to famous dead-pan comics like Steven Wright. A lot of folks really nail it, particularly in the delivery. Heck, there's plenty of times in which I love a good dry joke done by Norman Lovett just because he has that ability to throw them out with seemingly no effort in his delivery. It's both lazy and instantly deliberate at the same time. Something you need a special voice to pull off.

A lot of times, the great aspect of humor is misdirection. Setting up the scenario for something crazy and then redirecting the idea to something else that is less "in your face". Kind of like the "At least it's purple" line.

It would be equivalent to Adrian Monk, looking over a heinous crime scene in which a mass murder was done. Coming back with a napkin-held group of bullets to the police and saying, "Look at these. Someone was taking real good care of these. Before they entered the body, these bullets were immaculate. If I were to die by shooting. I want it to be bullets just like these."

Insults are particularly funny if they are intelligent ones that make you think. However, I tend to like those done better in actual satire or an actual comedy venue and generally directed to an individual for show. Kind of like how shows like Black Adder or Red Dwarf throw these around with wild abandon.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Dec 27, 2011 at 02:57 PM.

Sarcastic humour (Red Dwarf etc) has always been my favourite. Have to say though, my favourite comedian lately is Ross Noble. I love how random he is, it's brilliant.

Dark humour is something I'm more or less used to now; Frankie Boyle does this well but also re-uses a lot of his material, which is a shame.

Speaking of Red Dwarf, it's sketches like this that made me love it.
    Last edited by Neith; Dec 27, 2011 at 03:18 PM.

HUnewearl power since 2003. NGS Official Creator (SectionSkyly)

I'm quite partial to crude insult humor myself. My friends love it when I call them terrible names, and I'm a dick anyway, so it all works out.

I also like a lot of dark, morbid humor as well. The more offensive, the better.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Are you insinuating that I laugh at people with missing body parts when they're not looking?!

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

I don't laugh at them, I just feel disgusted. True story. :/

I'm used to be sarcastic most of the time, and jokes or insults can get even better if I'm in a bad mood....I tend to insult/complain spontaneously that some people find it hilarious somehow. I also rename things and people with insulting names that may describe better their own misery, but I dont go to such level of cruelty where I insult disabled/handicapped people or someone who just lost a relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaimizu View Post
    Insults are particularly funny if they are intelligent ones that make you think.
    But not too intelligent because some people wont get it the first time! A friend of mine complains about that some of my jokes are too complex to get sometimes, lol...but I gotta admit that I find it funnier when people dont catch my drift instantly because that automatically means that I'm insulting their intelligence swiftly.