Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So Close!

EDIT: Removed reply to Mimo to end this discussion.

You wanted some C&C?
    I am not gonna comment on the anatomy, cause I am still struggling with that myself and I don't really see anything that bothers me.

1. The lines look a bit weird at some places. I can see you used some tools for the straight lines. I sometimes use tools for straight lines, but I only use it on geometric objects like boxes or walls. Using straight lines on characters can make things look a bit stiff.

2. Some other lines look a bit wobbly. I am aware that most people have a hard time creating fluent lines using a tablet. The secret behind my clean linework is quite simple (no I don't have magic hand, yes they also shack a lot): time. I spend lots of time (you an see a vid here:
    Spoiler!
    ) I won't recommend you my method for clean lines, cause it's extremely boring. Maybe other artists here have more efficient methods. I also heard somewhere that you should draw by moving your arm and not your wrist, maybe that might do the trick for you.

3. Your colors are on the brighter side of the spectrum. This is probably because you picked the colors on a white background. The big problem of that, is that you don't have much room for lighting and contrast adjustments. What works for me: Start your picture with a grey background (in the middle of black and white) and start picking you colors from there. The results will be much better

4. The section ID's look like they were pasted into the picture. I think it still would look better if you'd draw them by hand (even if the result is less precise)

5. What Sayara said: I also have been hanging out on these board for a LONG time (longer then my join date.. *double accounts mumble mumble..*) and have seen most of your works. Throughout the years the way you draw and color haven't changed much (from what I have seen). I have changed my ways of drawing tons of times and it really helped me move on to a next level. If you like working with your tablet, give digital painting a try. After watching most of the video's from following youtube channel, I really got into digital painting and it was a big breath of fresh air for me: http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOO...26/1McYZX6KScg

You can also try the other thing Sayara mentioned.
    Last edited by qoxolg; Jan 6, 2012 at 03:45 AM.

... man, I didn't realize what I'd started in this thread while making the rounds to visit the other participants thread. Apologies about that.

@Sha Sha: Sayara may be coming off as being harsh, but it's good advice. If you fall into the trap of "I'm not good enough gosh darn it" and stop drawing, I'd say that's an overall worse outcome than simply not getting a response out of anyone. ^_^ Anyway, change up your style, find a local artist interest group to motivate you, copy ideas and techniques from the professional artists you respect (for practice and to gain insight); there's lots of ways to improve your skills.

I can't think of any other advice I can offer here that hasn't been covered yet at the moment, but will post back if something comes to mind.

@Q: An honest critique on the person's work? Sure. Attitude? Nah, you'll be walking into a land mine. It's great that you offer help with tutorials regarding to the work. This isn't the first time that ShaSha create this discussion, so maybe criticizing their poor attitude over and over isn't helping(anyone really). It's either deal with it, ignore or confront the user via PM and somehow prevent them from posting. Basically, look forward to the art if you like it and though it's a little hard to ignore-- overlook the artists opinion. Feelings of an online user are important, but there's also certain cases where the OP might be creating tension between users just for fun(not that I'm saying this is one of those cases, but one wonders)... then it's good sometimes to be the better man, to respect and just leave it as is. Otherwise, you have a cesspool of users/friends having a crap war over something that doesn't really pertain to them. Which is pretty bad for us. No one here really wants to hate each other. -laughs-

-reverts back to typing with feet- o3o
    Yah! it's all there is to say. Not taking sides, but still feel like cheering for the OP to improve~ n__n OH and if you're sub'ing as an old man posting on a "teenager forum" with the hopes of crushing their tiny dreams, yet they still baw after multiple events of being emo.. then maybe it's time for you to get off the internet. Coz yer obviously failing at proving a point. trollloooool 8D

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

I had a long conversation in another forum about the difference between giving good criticism and just being a dick.

TL;DR: there's not really an excuse to sound like a dick(not saying anyone in this thread is doing that), just give the constructive advice. But at the same time, people getting the critism should know what the difference between being insulted and being helped. If it's both then at least you got someone you don't like to help you. Ehn.

I still say it's embarassing what this thread turned into, I can see why sha sha didn't reply back, I say just leave it for now. >3>

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

I Guess that i should have posted that Im colorblind a lot of things where done with eye dropper since i cant disquish (spelling)between yellows, greens and blue.
    and I do use a grey background when i do colors
    case in point click here
    I also tried a new way to do the hair but like i said i didnt have much time at all even with having such an advance notice because of school and whatnot
    thanks for everything
    i know my cging is horrible but i get so bored with it most of the time
    again im colorblind so i also use a free to use color pallet for skin tones

hmm yea
    and sorry for late reply
    i was on a train for 30 hours with no internet
    when as soon as i got home i slept
    for a long time
    Last edited by Sha Sha; Jan 6, 2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: fixed url

ShSha, we totally ruined your thread. Really your art is good, and now that you say you're color blind well it does play into account that you have problems coloring and well if it's too frustrating-- then by now you know what to do.

Um you could always work with black and white? Or maybe one single color? I've seen some traditional drawings where the artist only uses one color and it turns up really great. Example: http://arhiel.blautann.de/wordpress/...tar-ending.jpg

It's just one color, but it's pretty good practice for working with values and sketching.

@Sha Sha: Ah, so that's why you didn't reappear for a while. Was kinda worried the various reactions scared you off, so I'm glad it's not that. Anyway don't lose heart too easily. You did after all, complete the image in time to submit to the competition, though I wouldn't recommend sacrificing your grades on a regular basis, of course. ^_^

If what Qoloxg says is accurate, and you've kept to this style for pretty long, then I think a change up is necessary. You may have reached a plateau, and there's no further way for you to improve this specific set of skills. In these cases, you need to find a way to break the cycle, such as trying new techniques and styles in order to reinvigorate yourself.

Anyway, I hope you do find a renewed sense of motivation. The internet can be a harsh place, but you'll always be able to find people who root for you. ^_^

Yea I am trying to get into a figure drawing class but my college will no long pay for my classes unless they are fully towards my goal at the moment. (my goal is teaching with emphasize on special ed since i am one too, yep little yellow school bus; a retard kid as people called us)

of course i have been reading thru loomis but its online as a free PDF and the bright colors bother me so bad the words start to dance on the screen (its a real learning disability)
    I do like drawing im just weird i guess

Humans are weird in general. 'Normal' humans would be boring ones.

Trying to take classes is always a good idea. If you somehow can't manage to take art classes, you can always do some self study (though it needs a lot discipline to do by yourself). Books that were very useful to me till now:
    - Perspective for comic book artists by David Chelsea (very very good book on perspective).
    - Classic Human Anatomy by Valerie L Winslow

Besides that the youtube channel I posted earlier really helped me as well.

When colors trouble you that much, try drawing everything greyscale first. I actually do that quite a lot when doing a digital painting. Afterwards I add colors using a special color layer in photoshop. I also make a lot of use of the color balancer in photoshop.