Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Close!

Default So Close!

So this was my entry into the contest
    I didnt get to title it since i was really pressed for time so its name is now So Close

Its based off the memory that in both episode 1 and 2 we are so close behind Rico and Flowen but we do not make it in time to save their life; just really their souls.
    ( I always believed that we were mere minutes behind Rico while going through the main Areas and that if we had just hurried a little faster we would have saved her.)

Like i said before I was rather pressed for time and when i realized my mistakes I could fix them however I was in the middle of no where on a train with no internet and by the time I got to internet the contest was already over. I'll be fixing the mistake here after a while. I also noticed my shading was horrible; since I was rather focused on the main part of the image which was Marron's face hair and eyes along with the Red Ring. I also found out I can not draw older men no matter what
    (sorry Flowen!)

Anyway so here it is ready for c&c so I can improve.

I actually had list of memories I liked and now I am glad I went with this one
    the others where
    Elly and Calus whom Yurei did wonderful art piece for
    Blue Star Memories the quest that linkeds ep 2 and ep3 better
    the whole thing with Endu
    Light at the end of the Tunnel- this being that bright light at the end of the seabed tunnel. that sigh of relief when you see it, that you finished the seabeds but then that fear of "OMG Olga Flow" but Shining (PSOegg) did something like that and I didnt want to steal that idea.

I had fun remembering all these awesome memories and I know I have more I could have used but I wanted to do something more people would connect with.
    Anyway again Enjoy

Good show Sha Sha. No need to feel bad about missing out on correcting mistakes - mine also was submitted at the last minute, and I really wasn't in the mood to consider correcting anything at that point. Christmas prep really doesn't give much in the way of a free schedule after all. -_-'

Why not do a before and after with your entry version and finalised version? I know I'll be doing that later when time permits.

Probably not
    it seems like no one was all too happy to see my entry.
    meh I dunno why i keep trying though even though i know no one is gunna like it
    (i even failed my lab class to get this done in time)

i feel like I've said this before but.
    If you don't even like your stuff outside that "ugh must look away from it; 256 hours straight" feeling

What makes you think we'll like it? I've been on these forums for 8 years, never once have I won any contest, got that fan-base following or any of that here. I mean you can even look at my stuff, its outside the norm of the forums. I'm pretty sure not many people like how i go about my artwork outside a few shining gems, but it doesn't bother me.

I'll keep on doing what I'm doing for the thrill of completing something. The art of experimenting with the mediums. You can't keep on kicking yourself in the face every time your posts go 0 for 0 on a forum for Pete's sake.

"Egh, i hate this, and you should too because i know you will."

Does that sound like something someone would want to put their two cents opinion for? On an anime/video game forum none the less? If you give up on yourself, this quickly even do you think someone will catch you or try to stop you? Or will they just move on to the next shiny polished image maker of the month?

Have faith in your abilities. If you really don't like anything you've done. Step back a bit. Dig yourself back a different angle into doing things. Maybe the anime frufru isn't your kick. Okay. Try a more realistic approach. Try something like abstractedness illustrative. Try landscape illustrations.

But, if you just want to continue to sit and cry in your own puddle, I'll just back off then and leave you to it. Your choice.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Actually this isn't bad, your anatomy is really good, but I'd say you can work on the coloring a bit more..

Work on perspective and clothing(clothing can be hard to get used to, perspective even worse) and you can make some really dynamic looking pieces.

Personally it's RARE that I like the way my own art comes out unless I've spent a LOT of time on it. (my favorite out of my own work that I'm till not sick of looking at, would probably be "Alice's room" if you've ever seen it/clicked on my dA)

They say some artists will never be completely satisfied with their work, but its also what fuels improvement. Just let it only fuel improvement and not discouragement. Though It's probably not that big a deal for you, Sayara kinda went hard there for a second.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

This is true that any artist will not like their own work; Its often from looking, working on something for such a long period of time. DONE WITH THIS, HERE YOU GO INTERNET. THANKS. kind of feeling. At the same token, I still feel satisfied knowing I spent 50 hours working on this piece to look like this. Sure it may have its faults, but damn it my own bs&t is in this.

That's a different type of dislike than " I hate it because everyone else hates it, i hate everything" kind of talk i'm hearing. Gotta get your will built. If I can crush their aspirations as a freaking old man posting on a teenager forum because I speak honestly and critically then maybe the internet is not their calling.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

Yeah I feel like the more you work on something even i you're hatING it by the time it's done you'll still feel acomplished and lighten up on the good parts of your own work. And some times looking back at your old work isn't too bad, when you think of how much you've improved.

I say create whatever you want regardless of what people think of it. Maybe it's not AS common, but these days there are plenty of people that find it cool to say "Meh I don't like the anime style much." But technically I myself grew up with it, and even though every teenager in the world attemps to poke at the easy basics of drawing in said style, it's actually not that easy to draw in... the only step away from realism or comics when it comes to most anime styles is the face, and if your style isn't unique there then it's all over and you'll just get overlooked.

I guess the point is, you understand your own art more than other people so even though what other people get out of your art is important, and even though you won't always be happy with your own art, selling it or just making art for the hell of it. It's you that decides whether or not it came out the way you wanted or if you just have to get back up and try harder...

but yeah this piece ain't bad, it would've competed with the judge's first place pick if you had drawn something action packed though. Seems all the actiony entries won...

EDIT:

To prevent any further discussion in this thread, I PM'd her and removed this reply
    Last edited by qoxolg; Jan 6, 2012 at 03:44 AM.

But yeah, I've seen worse, on another video game forum there was this one girl who would this ugly furry sonic art, and nobody commented on her threads, because everytime they did she would overreact to criticism and completely ignore compliments. She'd always come back and do it all over again and her art would never improve.

It was really annoying to look at, But I'd say sha sha's case one comment is not bad enough to almost derail the thread about it is all. Then again I guess these threads are mostly about how we did in the contest... D:

Good work Sha Sha! Don't lose motivation this time around. Is rooting for you to improve for the next contest!

OH, and agreed with what others are saying in this thread, but don't be too critical.. some can't really handle it. Been chewed out for 4 years by critiques in school and it is really tough. Individual feelings are important online. ;n;
    Last edited by Mimo; Jan 4, 2012 at 06:50 PM.