Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stop using that Star Wars Episode 3 quote.

This was originally going to be a longer thread dealing with black, white, and gray morality, but I didn't want to go on a pseudo-philosophical rant. On to my point:

Every time you're in a discussion with someone you don't agree wtih, and you say "Only Sith deal in absolutes", you really set yourself up to look like a complete jackass. Not only are you discrediting yourself in the eyes of certain people for using a cheesy quote from a sci-fi film, but you are also contradicting yourself at the same time.

The quote has many variants as well, and the idea has probably existed for as long as we've been on this planet. "Only evil people see things in black and white", or "There is no such thing as an absolute", but they are all contradictory for the same reason. You're working on the assumption that the person you don't like is "bad" because they see things in black and white, and that ONLY bad people see things that way. While at the same time YOU are also making a blanketing, black and white statement.

Then with alarming frequency these very same people will go on tirades about how EVERYONE in X and Y group is evil or stupid. It's as funny as it is upsetting.

Don't be a jackass.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

You know I was never a huge starwars fan, and I probably know nothing about the story after not paying attention to the 800 times I've seen all of them.

But it always just seemed like the "oh so perfect jedi's" whose flaws people pretend don't exist are what always drives people to become the badguys anyway.

I mean obviously this is on purpose, and probably a standard way to make villians in any story a lot of times. I'm just saying that both sides probably suck and I'd rather be the selfish guy with the laser gun that get's to bang princesses, get paid and does whatever he wants because he doesn't care about other people's problems.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Only lives to get radical W0LB0T's Avatar

Also the horrific fact you are quoting from the really crap prequel Star Wars movie

Current Projects:None
    Old Projects:[ [Dhylaw 1-10 11-13] [Dhylaw Season 2]

And here I thought this thread was going to be about the high ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    And here I thought this thread was going to be about the high ground.
    I was expecting this, to be honest:

Spoiler!

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_bob View Post
    This was originally going to be a longer thread dealing with black, white, and gray morality, but I didn't want to go on a pseudo-philosophical rant. On to my point:

Every time you're in a discussion with someone you don't agree wtih, and you say "Only Sith deal in absolutes", you really set yourself up to look like a complete jackass. Not only are you discrediting yourself in the eyes of certain people for using a cheesy quote from a sci-fi film, but you are also contradicting yourself at the same time.

The quote has many variants as well, and the idea has probably existed for as long as we've been on this planet. "Only evil people see things in black and white", or "There is no such thing as an absolute", but they are all contradictory for the same reason. You're working on the assumption that the person you don't like is "bad" because they see things in black and white, and that ONLY bad people see things that way. While at the same time YOU are also making a blanketing, black and white statement.

Then with alarming frequency these very same people will go on tirades about how EVERYONE in X and Y group is evil or stupid. It's as funny as it is upsetting.

Don't be a jackass.
    Didnt know there were people who even bother using such A crappy line from star wars >_>. Oh btw bob its been a long time since ive seen you make a rant
    Last edited by thunder-ray; Jan 24, 2012 at 06:52 AM.

I have never heard anyone use the aforementioned quote before. This is news to me. But, that being said, it's still stupid either way.

People that spout these kinds of quotes need to realize that words have incredible power, and with great power comes great responsibility.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Is there still hope for humanity that I haven't heard anyone using that quote yet?
    Miranda F Newman Fighter (PSO2: NG) Ship 2
    ~Past Characters~
    DC PSO: Silhouette HUnewearl 100 » 102 (Ver.2)
    GC PSO: Silhouette HUnewearl 161 :: Za'leshea FOnewearl 172
    PSU: Eternia F Beast FF15 Lvl142(PC) :: Elemia F Cast GM20 lvl174(360)

Only Sith deal in
    "Sword logic? That's cute."