Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What will we do without PSO?

20 Years from now, when and if PSO is exstinct, What will you miss the most?
    For me i will miss the satisfaction of playing with other people and being able to enteract while playing the PSO experience. Also the happy feeling you feel when you see that little red box..... ^o^ there is no other feeling like it

This is post is just for fun....

PSO is already extinct. The servers have been gone for over 6 years. The only way to play online, is illegally.

Alright so how "illegal" are the servers, i mean compare it to j-walking, its illegal but hundreds of people do it. How many people have been put away for playing on a Pso server? And plus the pso2 and further Pso game will continue. Sega isnt that dumb to just "stop" making Phantasy star games. Just like square enix isnt gonna stop make FF or any other games anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantra View Post
    PSO is already extinct. The servers have been gone for over 6 years. The only way to play online, is illegally.
    Maybe I am wrong in my thinking. But it isn't really considered illegal. If there is no other way to play it. If the official servers were shut down, for both American and Japanese servers. Then it SHOULD be completely legal to bring up a server of your own for the players to enjoy, if the company themselves doesn't want to do it. I mean, can you think of one negative thing that would happen to sega/sonic team if more PSO server's existed?

Quote Originally Posted by redbl0odx View Post
    But it isn't really considered illegal.
    Just because no one takes action against them doesn't make them legal.

As for the topic at hand, moving on is a good thing. And chances are that if you want to play a 30 year old game (in 20 years), you'll probably find some enclave of maniacs dedicated to it. Provided there's any hardware left to play any of today's PC games around in 20 years.

Private servers for any game is considered illegal, Sega just wont do anything because no one's making any real profit from the servers that could make a dent in the amount of money Sega has made from the game already. Since Sega is a mature company I cant see them being upset with the fact people still enjoy one of their titles considering they're not being forgotten.
    There is nothing, it is empty...

Destructive by nature. Link1275's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zoulen View Post
    Since Sega is a mature company I cant see them being upset with the fact people still enjoy one of their titles considering they're not being forgotten.
    Mature? Sega? That is one of the funniest things I've read in awhile. If sega was truly mature don't you think they would actually bother to do something with the US portion of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantra View Post
    The servers have been gone for four years, not six. The English servers shut down on March 31st, 2008. The Japanese servers didn't follow until 2011. And in spite of this, people still play on private servers. Though it may be illegal, they still exist. And even if they didn't, PC, Dreamcast, Xbox and GCN all provide offline mode, and the server setup for Blue Burst is still widely available. Do I see PSO going "extinct" anytime soon? No. Do I see private servers becoming space dust? Of course. But that's neither here, nor there, so for the topic at hand:

What would I miss the most? Red boxes, clearly. I became fanatical over red boxes in PSO, and that fanaticism continued through my PSP2 career. It didn't seem as magical in PSU, perhaps because anything that wasn't a board or a material was likely going to be shop fodder, but the sparkle was still there, I suppose. I was happy to see the red box screenshot pop up for PSO2. As I'll undoubtedly be playing it, I look forward to getting that warm, fuzzy, red box feeling back. Still, when I look at all of the iterations of red boxes that have appeared since PSO, though they may look better in general, nothing feels quite the same as seeing a red box plop on the ground in PSO.
    Verdana is a pretty good font.

2X-6 Corsair :: Metal XII :: Unit 12 :: War :: Dozen
    Neyami Red :: Dr. Paul :: Izar Erori :: Brynhildr :: Fenchano

Quote Originally Posted by Link1275 View Post
    If sega was truly mature don't you think they would actually bother to do something with the US portion of the game?
    I might be missing something, but what does that decision have to do with maturity?

Phantasy Star never had a huge US fanbase. The US players hacked PSO (PKs and corrupt characters aplenty), hacked PSU (to the point where PC/PS2 servers met an early death), pirated PS0 and PSPortable/2 (I'm assuming, everyone pirates on those)... and what? You expect them to keep shelling out their limited resources to please a small community that tends to break everything? Hell, the devoted members of the US/international fanbase play on PSUJP anyway, what's stopping them from playing PSO2 in Japanese?

Yes, I agree it sucks that there's no news on a US release afaik, but it's not a maturity issue. It's a business decision. Unless SEGA sees a potential profit worth the costs of localizing it, that decision isn't changing.

Quote Originally Posted by En
    And even if they didn't, PC, Dreamcast, Xbox and GCN all provide offline mode, and the server setup for Blue Burst is still widely available.
    That server also caters to PSOPC, Dreamcast, Xbox, and GCN users, not just Blue Burst. Short of playing on a Wii, any version of PSO you own is still playable online in some capacity.
    How can I possibly put a new idea into your heads, if I do not first remove your delusions?

What would i do without PSO? I would wonder if there's another game that plays like it and play that. If there were such a thing, if not well... I could just make a Private BB Surver if i was desperate. And when all else fails, Just use teh good ol name of HUcast. Ah yeah....

I'll also miss the good ol times i had back online with the DC versions PSO. Newer people bash pso and its "lameness" but it was a step forward in Multiplayer Gameing and they'll never know theat. *Sniff* I somewhat already miss the memorys but oh well... Gotta keep going and learn from it ya know?

-HUkyasuto Mk.2
    Purple Dragoon Editon