AKA Sapphire of Chaos Chaos Rappy's Avatar

Default The X Button Importance

I recall in the past about people who thought it best for Sega to have "optimized" combat by allowing the X button to become a fourth command. I, however, find it to be very useful for what it already is used for, and have no regrets that they did such. Here is just what X can do for you in the field:

*When held, pressing L and R will scope the camera left and right (respectively), allowing for view of the surroundings without turning your character (useful amid attack chains so you can calculate where you should land your next attack if mid-combo, you kill your original foe)

*When held, allows for quicker pick-up rate of items than the A button, and allows you to walk while you pick them up, instead of the A button making your character stop briefly when you pick up an item. You can even rapidly tap X for even faster pickup if there's a lot at once to pickup, like at the boss boxes of Rioh/Makara/Heaven's Mother.

*When holding back a fully charged PA, also hold the X button, and you can release the attack button without wasting a PA if you just want to regularly attack, heal, or if the enemies are dead and you don't want to waste time and/or PP using a PA that you don't need to use.

And that's not counting the skipping text sequences in Story Mode either. The X button is more useful than you might think sometimes! ;P
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken_L_button View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Rappy View Post
    I've been a statistical exception as far as anything has proven to me.
    That's an understatement...
    ~Keeper of 1000 Rappy Souls~
    TSV's: X - 0401, Y - 0845, AS - 1277

And since DS has a touch screen, it would have helped much more if they let us use that instead of one more button.

AKA Sapphire of Chaos Chaos Rappy's Avatar

I think it could have been possible, but the spots in the touch-screen for the action palette is quite small, and would require focusing on a screen that isn't the screen with the enemies on to hit properly without shrinking or comepletely removing the all-too-useful sidemap, which also has touch capabilities itself, which might make for annoyance if you had tried to NOT focus on the touchbuttons and accidentally hit it instead of the action palette... just saying. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken_L_button View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Rappy View Post
    I've been a statistical exception as far as anything has proven to me.
    That's an understatement...
    ~Keeper of 1000 Rappy Souls~
    TSV's: X - 0401, Y - 0845, AS - 1277

I really wish they pushed a touch menu option to quickly change weapons and gear. A sub menu that could be brought up on the bottom screen that displays your equipment like the sub menu in PSO would have been awesome and probably would have promoted the use of other elements than celeb.

Destructive by nature. Link1275's Avatar

It really would have been nice if they had taken advantage of the touch screen more(read touch screen main menu and start menu).

Thanks for these tips, I do also wish they would have done more in the touch screen like alternate pallet options for additional techs etc. I find it hard if I want to buff/de-buff. but there really no use in complaining now xD the game's been out for years.

I'd be cool if they made like a PSZ EPII for 3DS though as just a general upgrade to this one We should start a fan Movement!