Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by HUkyasuto Mk.2 View Post
    I actually wouldn't mind but like i might not live that long to see it.
    Maybe. We'll have to see how things go with the advancements in tissue/genetic engineering go. If you can hold on for another 20 or 30 years, we'll likely be at a point where organ failure is not really an issue anymore. A failing organ can be removed and replaced with a donor or 3D printed "temporary" organ, meanwhile the original organ is stripped down to it's cartilaginous tissues and "painted" with stem cells cultured from a skin sample... which then grows back and is transplanted back into your body, likely with any genetic/structural defects corrected.

Aubry de Gray at the Methusela Institute suggests a proposed "age escape velocity" that many of us here may already be into. That is, the point in which medical technology necessary to sustain both quality and quantity of life is advancing faster than the aging process. The average life span is about 80 years now, but by the time you're 80, it may be 120. By the time you're 120, it may be 180. By the time you're 180, it maybe indefinite. Assuming of course you can avoid killer pandemics, cancer, gang warfare, meteorites, drunk drivers, and bears in the interim.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    Maybe. We'll have to see how things go with the advancements in tissue/genetic engineering go. If you can hold on for another 20 or 30 years, we'll likely be at a point where organ failure is not really an issue anymore. A failing organ can be removed and replaced with a donor or 3D printed "temporary" organ, meanwhile the original organ is stripped down to it's cartilaginous tissues and "painted" with stem cells cultured from a skin sample... which then grows back and is transplanted back into your body, likely with any genetic/structural defects corrected.

Aubry de Gray at the Methusela Institute suggests a proposed "age escape velocity" that many of us here may already be into. That is, the point in which medical technology necessary to sustain both quality and quantity of life is advancing faster than the aging process. The average life span is about 80 years now, but by the time you're 80, it may be 120. By the time you're 120, it may be 180. By the time you're 180, it maybe indefinite. Assuming of course you can avoid killer pandemics, cancer, gang warfare, meteorites, drunk drivers, and bears in the interim.
    Of course, we really need to work out the issues with population before medicine gets us to that point, or we might be in for some nasty, nasty shocks. (Unfortunately, I sincerely doubt anyone will invent any kind of FTL system before medicine gets us to 150 or so - and I REALLY don't like the case where there is no workaround, because that basically screws humanity long run)
    Coming Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
    Of course, we really need to work out the issues with population before medicine gets us to that point, or we might be in for some nasty, nasty shocks. (Unfortunately, I sincerely doubt anyone will invent any kind of FTL system before medicine gets us to 150 or so - and I REALLY don't like the case where there is no workaround, because that basically screws humanity long run)
    Well, considering there is a strong correlating trend towards slow or negative population growth to urbanization and industrialization - we might be able to find a work around to a population crisis by increasing globalization and eliminating poverty on the global scale.

... yeah, I probably ought to get to work on those FTL plans first thing tomorrow.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!