Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kion View Post
    Does anyone else want to get rid of these annoying NPC main characters completely? In PSP you get stuck with Viviene, with Amilia in PSP2, Sarisa in PS-zero and now Afin!!?? Really they're going to force these idiots on us again?

I don't want to start a whole PSO versus current gen, but with PSO2 i really thought they were going to try and bring back the better aspects of the previous game while adding the new game play mechanics of the sequels for a better experience.

As far as PSO goes, the story was told in a really indirect manner. You were just a normal hunter, and the story was told through that. In the opening your given that pioneer 1 lost contact and you're on pioneer 2. You start off by helping a guy claim his land, then look for survivors, then do research on the local animals. Each quest contributes to the story indirectly and the design of the levels themselves lend to telling that story. You're able to see the central dome, the de rol le loose in the caves, mining drones that have gone wrong and a huge hole in the ruins made by something.

In PSO the story was the main focus and elements of design, music, art and gameplay progression all served as a method of telling that story. With these new games they shove some fucking asshat NPC and say, "yeah, this is your main character now follow him around you worthless shit".
    Naahh Shinji is cool C:

I really want to know if the Sinows are going to make an appearance in PSO2. I freakin' loved all of them and want to see them in PSO2 with all that incredible animation and with improved graphics!

It'd be cool if we could re-visit the Seabeds in PSO2 as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Chik'Tikka View Post
    "one day, while searching for a planet, the ship is attacked and KOS-MOS jumps into action!!!" +^_^+
    lol

The darker/gnosis attack the Wogllinde/Pioneer 3

And the ship is carrying the zohar and Kos-Mos is strangely connected to it. In the end, the appearance of the darkers is shion's fault. She is just a hologram and now she is the final enemy metamorfosed into some strange creature (sounds familiar, huh?)

The cutesy girl is MOMO and you are one of Dr. Mizrahi's employee during her manufacturing...

For PSO2: Episode 2, add Shion's romantic pair Kevin turning into Olga Rev.2

Does anyone else want to get rid of these annoying NPC main characters completely? In PSP you get stuck with Viviene, with Amilia in PSP2, Sarisa in PS-zero and now Afin!!?? Really they're going to force these idiots on us again?

I don't want to start a whole PSO versus current gen, but with PSO2 i really thought they were going to try and bring back the better aspects of the previous game while adding the new game play mechanics of the sequels for a better experience.

As far as PSO goes, the story was told in a really indirect manner. You were just a normal hunter, and the story was told through that. In the opening your given that pioneer 1 lost contact and you're on pioneer 2. You start off by helping a guy claim his land, then look for survivors, then do research on the local animals. Each quest contributes to the story indirectly and the design of the levels themselves lend to telling that story. You're able to see the central dome, the de rol le loose in the caves, mining drones that have gone wrong and a huge hole in the ruins made by something.

In PSO the story was the main focus and elements of design, music, art and gameplay progression all served as a method of telling that story. With these new games they shove some fucking asshat NPC and say, "yeah, this is your main character now follow him around you worthless shit".
    I actually don't feel this way with PSO2. Obviously in the original PSU, Ethan was the main character, thus your custom character wasn't even involved in the story. In AOI yes I'll agree. Your character was just along for the ride while Laia played the role of the main character. In PSO2 though your character plays the role of the silent protagonist.

The NPCs interact with your character and are there to augment the plot. You speak as if PSO didn't have any reoccuring NPC characters. That is far from the case as I remember quite a few NPCs who made multiple appearances throughout quests in the game.

Enforcer of Evil™

Ok so here's what I gathered from playing the beta :
    First of all, Afin is a wimp, which everyone understood (also he calls us "partner" which is waaay too friendly when we barely know the guy, oh well).
    After the tutorial and matter board/client order shenanigans start the real story. Well it kind of starts with Shion but there was too many complicated words for me to understand anything.

Then! Story quest, which is basically the tutorial again, except that this time no Xeno to ruin everything and we follow the voice we hear calling for help. Then we meet Matoi, who's pretty much scared of anything that isn't the player for some reason. Then we take her back to the ship.
    After that, she appears in the lobby and Philia (that's the nurse right?) gives us client orders. Basically Matoi is not in good shape so she send us on a hunt for items to heal her. Sadly, because of how stupid the third client order is, I don't know what happens next (stupid in that collecting drops from rare rappys is augh). And if anyone's curious, Matoi doesn't do much, she just stand there, sad that we don't seem to remember her and telling us to be careful.

I must say, I was laughing during story sequences, it's just so... So generic. Matoi having a shaaarp chin didn't help though (she looked so weird sometimes).
    I hope the plot will get better, because with all the effort they put in it, it'd be a waste (and all those voice actors... they even got Master Asia).

I'm crazy and I love the frick out of lore and story. Even if the characters and plots sucks, it goes and explains and fleshes out the world, from how photons are both magic and science and how Huga was part of GRM!!

But yeah, Sarisa was annoying, and I wish there was multiple endings and consequences for your actions... PSUP2 got it closest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dycize View Post
    Ok so here's what I gathered from playing the beta :
    First of all, Afin is a wimp, which everyone understood (also he calls us "partner" which is waaay too friendly when we barely know the guy, oh well).
    After the tutorial and matter board/client order shenanigans start the real story. Well it kind of starts with Shion but there was too many complicated words for me to understand anything.

Then! Story quest, which is basically the tutorial again, except that this time no Xeno to ruin everything and we follow the voice we hear calling for help. Then we meet Matoi, who's pretty much scared of anything that isn't the player for some reason. Then we take her back to the ship.
    After that, she appears in the lobby and Philia (that's the nurse right?) gives us client orders. Basically Matoi is not in good shape so she send us on a hunt for items to heal her. Sadly, because of how stupid the third client order is, I don't know what happens next (stupid in that collecting drops from rare rappys is augh). And if anyone's curious, Matoi doesn't do much, she just stand there, sad that we don't seem to remember her and telling us to be careful.

I must say, I was laughing during story sequences, it's just so... So generic. Matoi having a shaaarp chin didn't help though (she looked so weird sometimes).
    I hope the plot will get better, because with all the effort they put in it, it'd be a waste (and all those voice actors... they even got Master Asia).
    WHAAAA? I could have advanced the story? Noooooo *cry* I wish I would have known that completing Philia's Client Orders would progress that story cuz I had that done for several days.

Enforcer of Evil™

Well, I don't know if there would be more (because afaik, I also completed the matter board and nothing came out of it, so who knows).
    The first quest was gathering 10 items from regular nab rappies, we get a monomate (probably to symbolize the medicine). Then we have to do that again for the second quest, and we get a dimate (stronger medicine!). The third one had a star atomizer, which leads me to believe that it would've been the last (that and rare rappies, seriously, if you're unlucky you will not learn much about the story).

I think I just fell in love. Finally found somebody that also thinks that having a dumb NPC following you to explain whats going on is worthless.

Though, I think of it like Sonic and Tails. Tails was always the character that got scared and whiny about everything.
    ヽ(*⌒∇⌒*)ノ ヌル サヌラ -TWITTER (*^ワ^*)

Quote Originally Posted by Nurusanura View Post
    Though, I think of it like Sonic and Tails. Tails was always the character that got scared and whiny about everything.
    I'm guessing people were complaining about the lack of information the player was given or something. Forcing the player to have a partner was one of the negative aspects I had with the Portable series. That and they make crappy meat shields as well.
    Interested in playing PSP2i without starting over? Click here to get started or look here for people converting saves.