Default To Buy a Router...

I am looking for a new router.

Normally one would just go to the store and buy one. This is not the case for me.

I have incredibly bad luck with all things networking. Network cables crap out on me. Routers crap out on me at breakneck speed. I can't seem to find a single router that's stable and has the features I want. I tried Linksys, D-Link, Inexq, I even tried a homemade m0n0wall box - no dice. I either got crap performance, or constant crashes, or physical failure, or bugs in the interface.

So here's what I'm looking for: The final, definitive, most utterly rock-solid router money can buy. Has to have at least 4 physical ports (+ WAN of course) and wireless capability. Decent and working UPnP is a plus. So far I haven't found a single router that's able to perform UPnP reliably.

Suggestions welcome.
    "Sword logic? That's cute."

i use this router: Medialink - Wireless N Router

comments: it works very good and i havent ran into any issue with it so far. i have it for about 6 months now.
    the setup was pretty easy for wireless network. the speed of the connection is fast.
    i use it for up to 4 computers (1 is mine, 1 is my little bro., the other 2 is wireless for the
    tenants living in the house) and 3 game systems (ps3, xbox360, psp go)
    and it's still working fine with no hic-up what so ever.

it works for me! maybe it'll work for you too. not sure if it's what you wanted, but that's my suggestion.

++++++----------"." Xe's Sanctuary 09/28/2016----------- Youtube's profile "."----------++++++
    wallies edited: 4500_|_G.O.L.D.E.N_|_sigs created: 1055

Can't help you. Working off a campus network atm. And it's a bit flaky at times.
    Coming Soon!

Flying high in the sky with a fly in your eye.

Friend says that the best router you can get, with all the features you need, get the Airport Extreme router. Dual band router supports both 2.4 and 5.0 gigahertz at the same time.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

And yes, it's usable on a pc as well as a mac.
    'All tales end in tragedy. Follow the hero long enough, you'll step across his corpse.'
    Survivor of TWO live Gwar performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue-Hawk View Post

And yes, it's usable on a pc as well as a mac.
    I would surprised if it weren't - traffic from a mac versus a pc shouldn't be indistinguishable without digging into the packet's data (as opposed to just looking at the parts you need to to handle it), the protocols for network traffic have been standardized since forever.
    Coming Soon!

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

They are ugly, but I've been using the Linksys WRT54 series for home networks for nearly a decade. They are cheap, reliable, and most importantly have a large knowledge base since they've been around so long. You can even flash custom firmware if you feel so inclined.

@Blue-Hawk:
    I usually recommend Apple products when a UI is the primary concern, but their network devices simply aren't worth the cost. The branding and aesthetics make up far too much of the price. You can get an entry-level managed Cisco switch for a similar amount of money.

I use a D-Link DGL-4500. Works great for me, and I've had other D-Link routers in the past with no issues as well.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    They are ugly, but I've been using the Linksys WRT54 series for home networks for nearly a decade. They are cheap, reliable, and most importantly have a large knowledge base since they've been around so long. You can even flash custom firmware if you feel so inclined.
    Problem: KodiaX has already killed one: link, don't bump.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup345 View Post
    Problem: KodiaX has already killed one: link, don't bump.
    Yeah, considering the amount of equipment he's gone through my instinct is that the routers aren't actually the problem. He may have really dirty power, in which case everything will fail eventually no matter what he uses. The only a line conditioner or UPS will fix these issues.