Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Let's hope we won't see too much of that in PSO2

Blizzard Says Diablo 3 Hacking Isn't Unusual

If Blizzard, of all people, say it isn't unusual to have so much hacking going on for online games, it makes me wonder ''so how does that online-only security argument goes again? Less chances to cheat when you're forced online?''. I guess it must be that and nothing else. No one can cheat to dupe items, but the door's wide open to let people get your stuff instead! Since ya know, you can't have the ''safety'' of having your character data stored offline, let alone a back-up. Too much chances to cheat. Instead, let's compromise EVERYONE's accounts by having it online-only. Sure, there will likely be less hackers, but you can be certain that the few that will be there will ''spread the love'' of their work to anyone and everyone who wants ''accounts'' or ''rares'' since they'll be the aces of the aces.

I guess I worry too much, right? Sega's security will UNDENIABLY be 100 times the one of Blizzard, or PSO2 should be 100 times less popular than Diablo III, so that should lower the flow of ''breaches''...

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

I think you're worrying too much. It's extremely rare for account compromises to be the fault of the company actually holding the account. It's almost always the fault of the user. Use a strong password, and keep malware off you're computer and you shouldn't have any problems.

also dont fall for cheap tricks such as give ur username and pass for this or that. no matter how good it seems. ud think wed b past that but it works... sadly
    who am i....? *tosses card to* find out.

SEGA actually isn't that great at dealing with Security. On the other hand, the real thing is that PSO2 is so underground compared to Diablo 3 that the attacks will just be lessened.

Still, Phantasy Star has seen its good share of terrible hacks. The worst of them being in PSO since no amount of help from SEGA could return your character and stuff to you.

Still, I would expect some hack attempts on this game. There just seems to be a higher ratio of successful hacks for less amount of people in a PS Online game. There will be griefers attempting to find some NOL-level hack in this game as well. Only because a PS Online game has bleed before due to Hackers and they smell blood for the next release.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; May 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM.

as long as your password isn't frenchfries or abc123 shouldn't be too bad. I do expect to see hacks and glitchs once the game finally drops though. I think you would be foolish to NOT expect it now a days.

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

True. I think the Hackers will attempt to see if SEGA still has loopholes that have nothing to do with getting your account data. It's the nature of them when they know a previous game had in-game exploits that screw with other people without gaining their account access info.

Apparently whats happening in Diablo 3 is people hijacking Session IDs, which would have Blizzard at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by BWS-1 View Post
    Sega's security will UNDENIABLY be 100 times the one of Blizzard
    Wat.
    Last edited by Vashyron; May 23, 2012 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vashyron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BWS-1 View Post
    Sega's security will UNDENIABLY be 100 times the one of Blizzard
    Wat.
    I was being sarcastic there ;3

"Of their own accord" Enforcer MKV's Avatar
    Somewhere, being an old man again, apparently.

Spoiler!

Another thing to note is that the article is saying that there is a spike in hacks when a new Blizzard product is released, like an expansion to wow, not in general.
    Enforcer MkX [TE/RA]: Critically injured
    Violet MkV [BR/HU]: On active duty

Also take into consideration that Blizzard has more customers.
    If there are more customers, more will be hacked and that many more of them will come public with 'OMG GUIS I WAS HAXORED!1'

Think about people who have nice things in games or in real life, they'll go that extra mile to show off giving an illusion "Wow, everyone has nice things but me" yet in reality the people who don't or just don't care are much greater.

A few people will always get unlucky, and those people stand out more.