Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I dislike pretty much any clan and/or guild in any game, and try to avoid them to the best of my ability. As good as they may start out, they always end up in drama wars, and egregious in-fighting, due to one or two guys that have to be bitches about something or another. This usually leads to the clan ripping apart 9/10 times, at least in my experiences.

I should know, I was one of "those guys" that ripped a clan apart over something stupid a long time ago. Lost a lot of good friends over it.

I only joined a guild in TERA because party play is required for parts of the story, and getting a pick-up group together with randoms gets brutally tough once you're a higher level.

I say it's better just to find a group of friends and all play together. It's like a guild, but without unnecessary hierarchies and politics.
    Last edited by BIG OLAF; Jun 4, 2012 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    I dislike pretty much any clan and/or guild in any game, and try to avoid them to the best of my ability. As good as they may start out, they always end up in drama wars, and egregious in-fighting, due to one or two guys that have to be bitches about something or another. This usually leads to the clan ripping apart 9/10 times, at least in my experiences.

I should know, I was one of "those guys" that ripped a clan apart over something stupid a long time ago. Lost a lot of good friends over it.

I only joined a guild in TERA because party play is required for parts of the story, and getting a pick-up group together with randoms gets brutally tough once you're a higher level.

I say it's better just to find a group of friends and all play together. It's like a guild, but without unnecessary hierarchies and politics.

Thats one way of looking at things, and i totally understand that.

I enjoy offline modes on some games but when it is necessarily needed I do join or create groups.

I like the sense of power but more to the point the amount of support I get when running something. I feel i can help other players benefit more by providing support in any way I can....long as they keep coming back for more and spreading the word
    “Humanity has won its battle. Liberty now has a country.”
    http://twitter.com/#!/layfette0911

Are you autistic or something, why the hell are you typing like that?

Any way, I've been wanting to respond to this thread for a while to share my thoughts, but it seems like these days I prefer to wait for the weekend when I'm not doing shit to post anything that will usually be longer then a paragraph.

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

Everytime I've joined a guild one of three things usually happened:

One, due to ridiculous infighting, it simply fell apart.

Another scenario, I joined a larger guild but only played with a handful of people who were usually on at the same times I was, and continued to play with them long after the guild shriveled up and died.

Lastly, it was really just a casual group of friends who created a guild for kicks and essentially it stayed that way for as long as we all played (This was mostly in PSOBB, I was in this super casual guild "Team RYUDO" but we did manage to place in one of the Max Attack tournaments despite that)

After my experiences with guilds, I've tended to stay faaar away from guilds unless they're of the last type, which isn't really a "guild" per say.

The more closer the PSO2 countdown clock gets their more I hear players offline attempt to already form guilds.

Back when the original PSO was out on Dreamcast, being part of a guild or clan felt like such a necessary thing to avoid getting your shit ganked, being PK, getting NOL'D and various other shitty things that use to go on. Once we got to the Gamecube, XBox era it was no longer necessary. Guilds however can really enhance your experience on a game and make the experience very special. It's nice to surmount a challenge and get through a tough boss fight with the aid of others, it's amazing to share that experience with people you actually care about.

I've been playing with the same group of internet friends for close to 10 years now and consider them to be as much friends as people I've grown up with in real life, because in a sense I kinda have grown up with them too. A guild is a bonfire of souls, a shared cab ride with a stranger. It has the potential to be whatever you make of it. An amazing moment in your life that exists outside the mundane routines of lifes normal mode of operation, or an achingly souring experience which can not be over soon enough. You just have to find the right guild or should I say, the right group of people for you. The other things that guilds do such as events, ranking structure and organizations, goals, should be superfluous to what is most important, and that is the people.

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

Quote Originally Posted by AC9breaker View Post
    Back when the original PSO was out on Dreamcast, being part of a guild or clan felt like such a necessary thing to avoid getting your shit ganked, being PK, getting NOL'D and various other shitty things that use to go on. Once we got to the Gamecube, XBox era it was no longer necessary. Guilds however can really enhance your experience on a game and make the experience very special. It's nice to surmount a challenge and get through a tough boss fight with the aid of others, it's amazing to share that experience with people you actually care about.

I've been playing with the same group of internet friends for close to 10 years now and consider them to be as much friends as people I've grown up with in real life, because in a sense I kinda have grown up with them too. A guild is a bonfire of souls, a shared cab ride with a stranger. It has the potential to be whatever you make of it. An amazing moment in your life that exists outside the mundane routines of lifes normal mode of operation, or an achingly souring experience which can not be over soon enough. You just have to find the right guild or should I say, the right group of people for you. The other things that guilds do such as events, ranking structure and organizations, goals, should be superfluous to what is most important, and that is the people.
    I have to agree with you 100%