Default Real Chiptunes With FamiTracker (And Some Covers)

http://famitracker.com/

Want to make real chiptunes and not those fake and awful-sounding MIDI conversions people put up on YouTubez all the time that require no effort whatsoever? FamiTracker is the program for you!

It's a tracker that emulates real NES/Famicom/FDS sound hardware as well as many on-cartridge sound expansions such as Konami's VRC6 chip. It's really easy to use and get into and if you've got a musical background, even better!

Let's me and you help put a stop to poopy MIDI conversions that people take credit for "making" (and making your own all-new tunes would be great too!)

I began using the program about a year ago and have mostly just done covers of some game tunes I enjoy (I'm not the world's greatest composer), so these should give you a good idea of what you'd want real NES-style chiptunes to sound like.

I tend to do my covers by ear, so some inconsistencies may occur as well as adding my own bits of flavor here and there.

Mega Man 9 - Galaxy Man's Stage Theme
    One of my first few cover attempts. The MM9 tunes aren't actually composed with NES limitations, so I took a shot at giving it the business.

Gradius III - Mechanical Base
    I wanted to take an SNES tune and NES-ize it trying to emulate the "Konami style" used in their NES games. The sampled orchestral hits are a bit hit or miss now that I listen to it again.

Ninja Gaiden Shadow - Stage 1 (GameBoy)
    I wanted to take a GameBoy track and give it a bit more zazz, so I tried for a Ninja Gaiden II NES-style.

Chrono Trigger Opening
    Probably the most ambitious cover I ever tried and the least NES sounding of the bunch. I sampled CT's timpanis and used Konami's VRC6 chip for the first time for some extra square waves.

Atomic Runner Stage 1
    I'm likely the only person who cares about this game. I wanted to shrink the Genesis/Arcade original theme down to NES standards and I tried to emulate Data East's original NES style.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Lava Reef Act 1
    Worked on this one with a friend and I really love how it turned out. Also uses Konami's VRC6 expansion for added melodies.

Touhou - Necro Fantasy (Ran's Theme)
    Nothing too fancy, just "Hey I should do one of them there Toohoo musics." The last portion of the song wasn't covered because I didn't like the super high notes on square waves killing my ears.

Soooo...yeah... NES Music! Make some!

I'll get to listening to all of these but I just want to say that I'm really digging your cover of Galaxy Man's stage. I also want to say that it's great that you're making a post dedicated to people presenting their own chiptunes.

Famitracker on Ninja Gaiden Shadow Stage 1? Beautiful.
    Remembering the Universe. Click below!

I just download chiptunes from ocremix.org and listen to them on winamp with the chipamp plugin.

Just go to ocremix.org put your cursor on games and choose a system. At the next page click the games tab. Then in the list of games on the right you'll see a chip icon. Click on it and then click Download Chiptune. Chipamp link is right there too.

Or you can just do a search for the game and click the chip icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon- View Post
    I just download chiptunes from ocremix.org and listen to them on winamp with the chipamp plugin.

Just go to ocremix.org put your cursor on games and choose a system. At the next page click the games tab. Then in the list of games on the right you'll see a chip icon. Click on it and then click Download Chiptune. Chipamp link is right there too.

Or you can just do a search for the game and click the chip icon.
    That's fine, but not really what I was going for by demonstrating FamiTracker.

I understand and appreciate the NES' sound capabilities and figured there may be some out there as well (I know there are fellow musicians here) who may wanna fart around with making more authentic-sounding pieces rather than MIDI conversions which are terrible or others that implement other electronic styles (which I have no problem with.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyreek View Post
    Famitracker on Ninja Gaiden Shadow Stage 1? Beautiful.
    ;D I had intended to get around to doing the few other original tunes from that game that weren't just different versions of other NES NG themes, but life gets busy sometimes.
    Last edited by Polly; Jun 5, 2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Another quote? Why not!