Default Racing Fans: Big Race Today

Today is the 24 Hours of LeMans. At least 4 Classes of cars on the track at once, cars running for 24 hours straight. 3 drivers per team, speed on the straights topping 200mph.

One of the big deals today and tomorrow will be Audi diesels and diesel hybrids vs Toyota Hybrids. Toyota decided to compete this year after the earthquake/tsunami last year, when they were originally planning on competing in 2013. Toyota pushed this out in 9 months, as opposed to the years some other manufacturers take. History: The only Japanese manufacturer to take overall win in this race was Mazda in 1991 with a rotary engine powered car.

Sadly there are no Peugeot diesels this year. They gave Audi a good challenge.

Also look for that Nissan Deltawing that had a thread hear a while ago.

I wonder if the rules have changed to make the LMP1 petrol cars more competitive with the diesels and probably hybrids this year? Past few years it was diesels far ahead and then the petrol LMP1s a bit behind.

Edit: The Toyotas sound amazing coming from a stop.
    Last edited by Ketchup345; Jun 16, 2012 at 04:25 PM.

warped://perfection Mantiskilla's Avatar

Yeah that 787B car was ridiculous but then it got banned the following year because they changed regulations. To this day some people think its because the European car manufacturing teams felt humiliated so they changed the rules. Eh who knows. That being said I think that an Audi hybrid will win it this year. Yeah its a shame we won't see Peugeot compete this year

This sucks for Toyota:
    I would fault the Ferrari for that- the Toyota prototype was sufficiently past the Ferrari.

Personally I was hoping Toyota takes overall win over Audi.

Just saw a retweet: the Deltawing is retired.
    Last edited by Ketchup345; Jun 16, 2012 at 05:15 PM.

warped://perfection Mantiskilla's Avatar

Haven't been able to watch it much, but from preview shows I saw the Toyota just seemed to be a year too early. They should have waited for the 2013 window imo. Also WTH was the Ferrari driver thinking!? He's not even in the same class and the Toyota was past him for sure. Just reckless driving and that can't happen...especially on the 24hrs race
    Last edited by Mantiskilla; Jun 16, 2012 at 09:44 PM.