Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

By the way, for anyone that doesn't know, if you're in hiragana typing mode, you can switch to katakana by pressing alt+caps lock (in Japanese Windows IME), for some it might be ctrl+caps lock.
    Out of personal preference, I don't like to use personal pronouns when using Japanese.
    I find being impersonal a bit more polite.
    So I like to use こち ]kochi (lit. here) or I'll just omit the pronoun completely if possible.
    For example, in a situation when another player has finished preparing and says:
    準備はできている -じゅんびはできている - junbi ha dekiteiru - preparations are finished/I'm done preparing (colloquial).
    I would respond with something like:
    こっちのほうもう - kocchi no hou mou - Me too (colloquial, literally "on my side as well")

hmm, i love this thread and made one auto word and four shortcut phrases!!! but when i join a party and ask if it's all right, how do i tell if they say "yes" or "no" or "get the f*** out nao!!" +^_^+

Quote Originally Posted by Chik'Tikka View Post
    hmm, i love this thread and made one auto word and four shortcut phrases!!! but when i join a party and ask if it's all right, how do i tell if they say "yes" or "no" or "get the f*** out nao!!" +^_^+
    they can say a variety of things

はい (hai) = Yes (acknowledgement)

いいです (ii desu) = It's okay

大丈夫です (daijyoubu desu) = It's alright (same thing in this context)

どうぞ (douzo) = Go ahead / come on in

I doubt many of them will say no, but if they do, it'll most likely be

いいえ (iie) = no

or

ごめん / ごめんなさい (gomen / gomen nasai) = Sorry (but no)
    Ship 2

Which do I use? Kanji or Hiragana one?

The Kanji examples.

The Hiragana and Romaji examples are just for those interested in learning.
    Ship 2

English: I no good at reading kanji.
    -
    Kanji 漢字を読むのが上手でありません。
    Hiragana: かんじをよむのがじょうずでありません。
    Romaji: kanji wo yomuno ga jouzudewa arimasen.
    Little typo. It should be でありません

And I would say it more simply,
    漢字が下手です (kanji ga heta desu) - I'm not skilled at [reading] kanji.

Erikson H10R11F00 Ship 09 Buthor's Avatar

Is this really actually serving any kind of purpose or is this thread just to display your knowledge to other users here? I say this because a person without any knowledge of the Japanese language (the kind of people who would look at this in the first place) isn't going to be making any kind of informed decision on what to say to Japanese players other than just letting them know the obvious like: 大丈夫, はい, or いいえ through copy-and-paste. And, players who already have knowledge should be able to just type it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggerjak View Post
    Yeah, totally not going to be able to memorize this. I'll stick to english and german. xD
    This is my main point. This is just becoming a "learn Japanese thread" which I don't see serving any purpose as it is being written by non-professional sources here on this forum. If you're really interested in being able to use Japanese effectively then you just plain need to take several years of coursework and live there or Rosetta-Stone if you're really brave.
    Spoiler!
    tl;dr A bunch of supporting quotes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    This... this thread is... it's a pile of s... sublime help for those of us who haven't the foggiest idea about japanese!
    Straight to my bookmarks once I get back home (if I don't forget about it, that is).

Thanks.
    This thread is an excellent collaboration of knowledge and a shining example of how the PSO-W community can really come together to teach one another something but, that isn't my point here. It is that for those of you "who haven't the foggiest idea about japanese!" you really should just take the time to really study the language in-depth and thoroughly (professional instruction that is not Rosetta-Stone is a huge help - and I say this from my own educational experience and having attempted to use Rosetta-Stone to just keep it fresh in my mind and being disgusted at their immersion-only approach).

Reasons that silence is better:
    Mukanshin(無関心) - tl;dr: Japanese people don't say anything to each other so don't worry about them not saying anything to you.
    Spoiler!
    Honne and Tatemae(本音と建前) - While these boundaries may be "blurred" in an online game; regardless, Japanese usually only get "buddy-buddy" in their speech with their friends they are playing with or at least other Japanese speakers. You're not really making "friends" with them if you're neither of these.
    Last edited by Dragwind; Aug 12, 2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: merge from double post
    I got my grasses on...

Just curious, is the reason you called out quotes followed by ellipses simply agreeing with the quoted statements? And I guess congrats for attending Sophia University.
    Last edited by Spellbinder; Jul 24, 2012 at 03:50 PM.

Erikson H10R11F00 Ship 09 Buthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spellbinder View Post
    Just curious, is the reason you called out quotes followed by ellipses simply agreeing with the quoted statements? And I guess congrats for attending Sophia University.
    No it's that those quotes further prove my point. And, thank you but congrats aren't anything I'm worthy of here - it's not actually that rigorous of a university it just has a good reputation heh.
    I got my grasses on...

Quote Originally Posted by Buthor View Post
    Mukanshin(無関心) - non-interest in others
    ...many people in cities like Tokyo, most Japanese have developed a sense of "non-interest" in others' and their affairs or even their existence...
    Oh, then it explains why I didn't pay attention to your giant post with alot of quotes.