Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deck Advice

Default Deck Advice

Okay, so yesterday was the first time picking up this game for awhile (deleted my file a couple years ago.) and I restarted the game. I got 2 Pouilly Slimes and just used them as the core of my deck, since they're extremely good for...awhile. However, it got dull. So I decided to use this Dark Belra card I found as the core of my deck, with an Arlan to accompany it. This is the deck I ended up with.
    Any sort of recommendations for cards would be appreciated. I probably won't have them as I don't have much, but it'll give me an idea what cards to aim for.

Character: Memoru
    x1 Dark Belra
    x2 Arlan
    x3 Claw
    x3 Dimenian
    x3 Death Gunner
    x1 Stab
    x1 Assault
    x1 SH Attack
    x1 Concentration
    x2 Foie
    x1 Barta
    x2 Zonde
    x3 Dodge
    x2 Guard
    x2 Reduction
    x1 Ruin Darkness
    x1 Ransom

So that's my current deck. I'm aware I don't have many Techs, or very good defense cards, and some will be replaced. Obviously primarily a Dark Creature deck, mainly focusing on DarkBelra/Arlan.

Hah, well the best advice I can think of is to remove the Dark Belra from your Belra deck.
    Not long ago I experimented with a Belra deck, and I found both Dark Belra and Indy Belra very unwieldy. With their reach and AP they do impress, but in practice the cost to use them is too high.
    I'd say early in the game, playing against COMs the disadvantages of your Belra won't hurt too much though. And I do advocate experimenting with new cards, so play around with your Belra deck and see if you'll agree with me.

I can give you some pointer about your deck: in general, it's enough to keep between 6 and 8 creature or item cards in your deck. And it's a good idea to split the remaining cards in such a way that you have at least as many defensive action cards as offensive action cards.
    Second, give some consideration to which Story Character you want use. You're using Memoru, so ask yourself if you plan on using her strong points, high TP and snatch, and how. If you have no well thought out idea, see if any of the other Story Characters fits your deck and battle plan better.

Lastly, don't get discouraged if you lose. Think back about what probably killed you and see if you can adjust.

Well, have a good time!

Let me add that I do remember how it is when you have just started the game. You probably still have such a limited choice of cards that you have to add everything but the kitchen sink just to get to a full deck. Experiment when you get more options and you'll be fine.
    With the cost of use (from Dark Belra) I mean that if an enemy steps out of the way, it will cost you -at least- 4 points to hit that enemy with your Belra (because of Heavy Steps and Big Swing). Very annoying if your enemy moves away all the time!
    Last edited by T0m; Jun 21, 2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Was rushing through the original post

1. I plan on replacing Dark Belra with Indy Belra most likely so I can attack without using extra ATK and Snatch.

2. I'm extremely early in the Arkz side right now. While I finished Hunter side already, Memoru is the most recent FO I've received. I plan to replace her on this set with Creinu later for HP Assist. However, I also have a deck that utilizes Memoru better with Guard Creatures.

3. As soon as I begin to get more defensive cards I'll put them in. No use for my swordguards/Machine guards/etc though. I hope to find a Dark Guard or two soon.

4. Thank you for the tips!

With the range, and without Big Swing Indy Belra's properties are undeniably more useful than Dark Belra's. On the other hand, it does take up six of your eight available points, and six-cost cards can be troublesome if the dice don't play nice.

Online it was rare for people to have serious decks built around six-costers.
    I would still promote experimenting, though. Try every card that looks interesting. Maybe you'll think of combinations no one else has thought of!

Playing against the COM you can get away with pretty much everything. The AI is predictable and shows some exploitable flaws. Most notably is probably the AI's defend as soon as possible but defend no more than once per turn policy. Even if the first hit does nothing, if the AI is able to use a card, it will. And even if the defence card has no effect.
    In any case, that does leave the door wide open for trying out new things.

EP3 C.A.R.D. Battle King Deadbeard's Avatar

I think using all creatures and action cards is the way to go, and completely ignore all defense cards..especially if you're playing in a team match! Just a waste of space in the deck. Go out swinging so hard your opponent won't know what hit em and end it quickly with tons of offense. 10 creatures, 15 action cards and 5 assist cards. Dice Fever and Dice Plus are good choices too.

You know, against the COM you might win most of the time even without defence cards! But you'd definitely run into problems in the story campaign. (Because yeah, you are in a team battle, but your partner decides to go stand between the enemy characters, and then starts whipping himself to death..)

In any case... I don't know who you are or what you have done to the real Deadbeard, but I think I speak for all of us when I say thank you! Really, someone needed to do something about that guy!

My strategy applies to coms and human players! Just don't see the purpose of wasting deck space on useless cards. Enough firepower in your deck and there should be no reason to worry about defense!

All offence no defence.. Are you Tyrone Corbine, Utah Jazz' coach?

Seriously though, OP, if I were to throw my 2 cents in here. First piece of advice I would give you is to lower the number of creatures you're utilizing..12 items/creatures is way too many in my opinion. Drop that number some and also get a better variety in there, for a deck revolving around Belras/Arlans, there sure are a lot of dimenians and claws in there. If you truly want a deck to center around those 2 creatures..id even go so far as to say ditch all those others and go with 3 belras and 3 arlans. With proper deck management you can make it work and that's 6 more cards you can use for better defense and offense.

Oh and OP if you're still interested, the (or at least one very good) reason for the Belra and Arlan combination is that with this combination you're able to make full use of your 8 points. (You can set creatures or items up to a total worth of 8 points. Belras are 5 and Arlans cost 3).

You don't need to have all 8 points used to have a winning deck, so don't follow this blindly. But it does benefit you in most cases. (An analogy would be if you are playing basketball you'll want to have a full team on the court. You know the opponent will have 5 players on the field and unless you have a team of All-Stars you'll need to have a full team to be able to compete with your opponent.)