Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Abbeel View Post
    All F2P games use the cash shop to make money. You really should be quite happy that they even give you one to begin with.

If you really wish everything was handed to you for free, consider this. If they didn't make money, they wouldn't be able to host the servers you and everyone else play on. This is why all of the previous PSOs died off. Not enough money coming in.

With this sort of system set up, it greatly encourages spending and allows them to actually making profit without demanding an upfront 50 dollars and 15 a month afterwards.
    The reason you give for PSO failing is not true. "Not enough money coming in"...what? Not only did you have to pay the game full price (consoles), you also had to buy a separate subscription fee. The reason PSU "failed" is because the core game wasn't really good. Who the hell thought Partner Machinery could replace Mags? Great content creates value for the customer who in turn will be buying your product. PSU was bad and had lackluster content updates just like PSO because SEGA of America doesn't give a shit if content isn't updated like in Japan.

F2P is not the future and it was a very bad decision to market PSO2 like that. Now you have a somewhat good game with a pletora of restrictions. I'm all for making it more accessible but won't pay momey for features that should be there right off the bat, like having a second character. Of course some people will and that's great for Sakai and SEGA, but it's just that I feel we get so much less stuff than an actual priced game. I'm sure if this was being sold $60 we'd have tons more levels, items, monsters and stuff but the way it's been developed means this content will be spoon fed to us through multiple (paid) expansions.

Keep in mind that micro-transactions require a credit card and not all gamers have access to that, so while you may say the way PSO2 is designed makes you want to buy extras it won't be the case even for a fan that just can't process online payments, especially so if outside Japan (no localization yet).

People don't seem to relize that once open beta ends, you will have to buy the 30 day sub item to use your room, trade with other players, and also to sell items in your Myshop, however you can always buy items from other players. Now the room I can see as not a core feature, but the trading and selling in myshop i'd consider one

If I was Sega, I would totally do what they're doing now.

Think about it. It's hard for some people to fork over $60 for a game, unless they reeeeally know they want it. But, if it's free to them, ofc they will play it! And if they wan't something extra, it's only $6.00. MUCH easier to pay then $60.00. I will gladly pay for slots, rooms and trading if that means constant updating to the game.

I'm just currently unsure wither or not to pay on the Japanese server or wait for an English server to come out. @_@;

Quote Originally Posted by Scyris View Post
    People don't seem to relize that once open beta ends, you will have to buy the 30 day sub item to use your room, trade with other players, and also to sell items in your Myshop, however you can always buy items from other players. Now the room I can see as not a core feature, but the trading and selling in myshop i'd consider one
    But with the fun point and free member, allowing trading would make people make countless Alt to "farm" fun point garapon item, and flood the market with those.

Quote Originally Posted by SELENNA View Post
    the way it's been developed means this content will be spoon fed to us through multiple (paid) expansions.
    They're updating the game monthly with new content for free.

People don't seem to relize that once open beta ends, you will have to buy the 30 day sub item to use your room, trade with other players, and also to sell items in your Myshop
    You can also just buy the features individually. So if you're like me and only want access to marketplace/trading, then you only have to pay 5 bucks a month for that feature alone. It's broken up into 3 parts, My Room, Market, and Storage Expansion.

Let me guess since sega is pretty much nickle and diming every little aspect of this game, I assume Mags have to be bought with AC as well? Its bad enough to even trade you need an AC item. (After OB)
    Nickel and Diming every little aspect of this game? How can you possibly say that? Play any other F2P MMO, then come back. Almost every aspect of this game is free. Trading and shops are the only necessary aspects that you have to pay for, and while trading might be a problem, shops are pay to use in many F2P MMOs. Considering you can play the entire game without ever spending a penny, without ever buying something from other players, and with no gameplay limitations is insane. Hell, you can even get temporary unlocks for Shops, Rooms, etc, through the Fun Point system. What are you complaining about? That you get something for free and have to pay if you want even more, even though you can only use one at once? You're kidding right?

If they IP ban the US it won't matter to me really since I don't live in the USA. Then again it depends on the prices of the items, I refuse to pay like 10-15 bucks for a mag for example. if its like 5 thou thats np. I don't mind supporting the game if the game has fair prices, which most f2p's don't sadly. Ones here don't seem to bad. Then again this is the japanese version, we'll have to see how atrocious the prices will be come the US ver. Wish they'd just announce it already insted of constantly dropping hints.
    If they start an IP ban it won't be "IP ban just US." It will be "IP ban non-JP IPs." Not living in the US won't magically exclude you from this.

The reason you give for PSO failing is not true. "Not enough money coming in"...what? Not only did you have to pay the game full price (consoles), you also had to buy a separate subscription fee. The reason PSU "failed" is because the core game wasn't really good. Who the hell thought Partner Machinery could replace Mags? Great content creates value for the customer who in turn will be buying your product. PSU was bad and had lackluster content updates just like PSO because SEGA of America doesn't give a shit if content isn't updated like in Japan.
    While I have no comment on your comments about PSO, I do have to remind you that PSU is still live in Japan. If the core game is not really good, why is it still live? And your only backup to your claim that PSU was bad is that they added PMs to replace Mags? Yes, that's the entire reason the game died in the US, because Mags didn't exist. Seriously?

The reason PSU died in the US is because Sega of America is ****ing awful. The PC version went to hell when they had a multitude of problems that stopped people from being able to even pay for their subscription. Their lack of updates didn't help, and their lack of care for the community just added to the problem. All they did was spam events and hope that that was enough and it wasn't. When PC US PSU died, they then stopped caring about the X360 version. They didn't moderate it (They didn't moderate the PC version well either, but the X360 version was far worse), and let hackers, scammers, and botters roam free and do whatever they wanted. US PSU died because SoA is an awful host.
    Last edited by Polantaris; Jun 24, 2012 at 08:27 AM.

PMs were not the only reason, don't draw conclusions because I didn't write a novel about PSU. Point is, game sucked.

AKA SilverCross/Pikachu Quatre52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Polantaris View Post
    The reason PSU died in the US is because Sega of America is ****ing awful. The PC version went to hell when they had a multitude of problems that stopped people from being able to even pay for their subscription. Their lack of updates didn't help, and their lack of care for the community just added to the problem. All they did was spam events and hope that that was enough and it wasn't. When PC US PSU died, they then stopped caring about the X360 version. They didn't moderate it (They didn't moderate the PC version well either, but the X360 version was far worse), and let hackers, scammers, and botters roam free and do whatever they wanted. US PSU died because SoA is an awful host.
    2 points to correct.

1. Hackers on xbox 360 PSU roaming free doing what they wanted?
    Are you crazy? Did you not play Dreamcast or Gamecube PSO?! Xbox 360 was a clean paradise compared to those. Yea, some people glitched a couple weapons, and duped some grinders, etc. But you could safely roam anywhere with out fear, a new experience for old school Phantasy Star fans.

2. It wasn't really Sega of America causing issue, they could only give us what Sega of Japan allowed them to give us. You can hate Sega of American all you want, but they gave us what they could give us.

PSU didn't "die". At least not on the xbox360 side. It remained incredibly active for many more years than most online games(at least/especially for a game on a console)

Quote Originally Posted by Quatre52 View Post
    2. It wasn't really Sega of America causing issue, they could only give us what Sega of Japan allowed them to give us. You can hate Sega of American all you want, but they gave us what they could give us.
    While that's true on the update side, it doesn't excuse their lack of activity, their lack of care, and their lack of moderation.

PMs were not the only reason, don't draw conclusions because I didn't write a novel about PSU. Point is, game sucked.
    Reasons why Psu died: Lack of support from SoA, WAY to long fo a delay between updates ( I mean really all they really have to do is translate it tbh) To many major hacking incidents where people lost everything they had, which points to severe server security issues and such. Then SoA's lackluster handling of said incidents. Balance issues bvetween the classes may have been a small factor, forces kinda sucked hard for anything but being a heal/debuff bot in psu, due to the PP system. Rangers had to depend too much on status effects, and hunters just owned everything in 1 pa combo except some mobs and of course bosses.

The main reason I quit Psu? I got sick of never finding already made items, find a rare board only for it to fail every damn time. I got sick of it and just quit. They forced the synthesis system on the players far to much, it should have been an optional thing, not something the entire game is pretty much focused around. EVen if the board did work if its a melee weapon it had to have a high ele % or else a lower tier higher ele % weap would out preform it.

Pso2 balance is ok.. Rangers are a bit over powered or rather just the launcher is, lv 9 ranger doing 500-700 just attacks with a pa I have is a little crazy, not to mention the obscenly large aoe radius launchers have. Forces feel just right, though PP costs of techs need to be reduced a tad, and non-charged techs need to be worth using. Hunters.. well I never played one but from what I seen, they seem alright.