Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast

Default Ranger Talent Tree Discussion

Any questions, suggestions and criticism of Ranger Talents should go in this thread.

The skeleton build ALL rangers should have: http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/...RA!IOI2IbwdGF8

The ranger tree is sadly currently very straightforward in what is viable.

Weak Bullet - In my opinion, this is the best skill in the entire game. When loaded into your assault rifle, your next shot(s) will place a weak point on the target that is visible/usable by everyone. Any damage to this weak point will be increased by a massive percentage. The recommended amount of points to place in this skill is 6 - this gives you three Weak Bullet shots, for a total of 45 seconds of massively increased DPS.

Weak Hit Advance 1 & 2 should be maxed entirely as they'll scale your damage on weak points percentage-wise. These two are a no brainer.

The leftover points in the build can be put elsewhere, but they won't matter much; you can either go down the right side of the tree for more R-ATK, put points into the dodge abilities, or give the traps a chance. Standing Snipe doesn't work in midair or while running, so it should be skipped entirely.

My build at level 40 is http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/...IOI2IbwdGFftFj - I take as many points in R-ATK for as much damage as possible.
    Last edited by recursive; Jul 21, 2012 at 08:55 PM.

You need at least three points into Weak Shot; one isn't enough. Level 3 gives you two bullets, and in my opinion is the bare minimum you should have in the skill.

After that is a matter of opinion. I'm personally thinking about getting Poison Traps, since poison works on everything but bosses like Vol Dragon and Dark Ragne and thus can do massive damage to the "mini boss" type enemies, but you could argue that tossing it on a rifle is just as effective, and I wouldn't disagree with you at least until high level weapon crafting, where one might find more valuable affixes to give a weapon. I also think Stun Grenades have some appeal. As of right now, Upper Trap is a waste, because even if Custom and Tool Mastery make them extremely powerful (and they may not even do that), you lose a lot of other utility taking them with this few skill points at this level cap.

Just Reversal is also a toss-up, but I wouldn't bother with it right now either.

So that leaves things like Ranged Attack Up and Weak Hit Advance, and of the two, the latter is far more powerful, if you ask me; percentages always trump static stat boosts, and it's in your best interest to always be aiming for weak points to begin with. Ability Up also seems inferior to Weak Hit Advance, even if something I think is still worth having eventually.

Ranger skill tree is pretty obvious for me.

Get Weak Bullet to at least lvl3,
    get R-Atk and R-def so you can learn Jellen Shot lvl1
    and then try to max your weak hit advance as much as possible for max. damage output.
    I've also invested 2 points into Dive Roll advance and I'm going to max. it sooner or later because increased invulnerability is pretty op.
    Just reversal is also a must have but I think I'm just going to learn it at lvl30, more damage output is just more important to level faster.
    ::Ship 02::
    ID: Kill5link

Classes: Hunterlv.5|Rangerlv.30|Forcelv.6

Something I think it needs clarifying for Jellen Shot, is that I've heard the players from CBT talk about how broken it was. Case in, most of those veterans recommended you to get one point in it at least.

However, it may very well have been a bug in the CBT. I've heard the modifications in OBT made Jellen Shot less desirable (if at all). So what is the verdict on it?

PSO2 Hunter talent tree discussion *Please read the FAQ in the first post*
    PSO2 Repeatable Quest Guide

how do u use jellen shot i got it but i'm not sure how to activate it

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund View Post
    Something I think it needs clarifying for Jellen Shot, is that I've heard the players from CBT talk about how broken it was. Case in, most of those veterans recommended you to get one point in it at least.

However, it may very well have been a bug in the CBT. I've heard the modifications in OBT made Jellen Shot less desirable (if at all). So what is the verdict on it?
    I'm interested in this as well, I played in CBT and Lv. 1 Jellen Shot would reduce any boss attacks to single-digit damage that wouldn't even knock you down. If someone could post about this, that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by diabeticcarl View Post
    how do u use jellen shot i got it but i'm not sure how to activate it
    IIRC, the way it worked in CBT was that you had to put it on your Sub-palette (the 0-9 hotbar) and you'd use it like a skill.
    Last edited by recursive; Jun 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM.

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

How long does jellen shot last? I was going to ignore it, since damage is something you can just dodge out of. But you guys really seem to think it's pretty great. What are its exact specs?

And what about Weak Shot? Why is its second hit so important? I figured you'd just a spot once when you need the extra damage. I don't see why you'd need a second hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorafim View Post
    How long does jellen shot last? I was going to ignore it, since damage is something you can just dodge out of. But you guys really seem to think it's pretty great. What are its exact specs?
    I'll post back when I figure out the exact specs on Jellen Shot (still only Lv. 17), and I'm speaking on its CBT mechanics here, but it was nice because it lasted a pretty long time, reduced damage to single-digit numbers, and damage didn't knock your character down at all, so you didn't really need to worry about dodging anything a whole lot - more time to just stand there unloading on the boss (especially good for HUs).

Quote Originally Posted by Zorafim View Post
    And what about Weak Shot? Why is its second hit so important? I figured you'd just a spot once when you need the extra damage. I don't see why you'd need a second hit.
    IIRC Weak Bullet has around a 90 second cooldown, which is why the second shot is a nice thing to have.

Since I started leveling the Ranger class, I have some questions regarding its talent tree. Hopefully, I can find some answers:
    1) Standing Snipe should always work with launchers right? Since you're not moving by default while shooting. What about standing jump attacks?
    2) Does Weak Hit Advance 1 and 2 stack with each other? Making it effectively 150% on weak points?
    3) What does the Panic status do for Panic Shot?

PSO2 Hunter talent tree discussion *Please read the FAQ in the first post*
    PSO2 Repeatable Quest Guide

Does using PA use up your weak bullet shots?