Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    死にてぇ奴だけ, かかってこい!! TetsuyaHikari's Avatar

Default How do you feel about autoword?

So, I signed on earlier today and the first thing I did was set up my autowords (mainly because I wanted the NPC version of my character to seem a little more interactive despite me not actually being there, lol). Things were going fine for a while, until this one guy joined the party I was in and started complaining about it.

He's like, "Shut the hell up already. Every time you do that, I have to see your face. I'm getting sick of it". We went back and forth about his complaints and I just told him that if he had a problem with a feature Sega implemented, he should take it up with them. How is it my fault that I'm using something that's featured in the game to be used?

At first the guy thought I was just typing the same stuff over and over again, but there was no way I was typing that fast, lol. I guess he was unfamiliar with the usage of autowords since even the leader said, "No, that is an autoword" and he just said, "lol ok". The autowords got pretty consistent once we hit PSE Burst and had more codes activating during all of this.

I don't honestly see what the problem is though. I didn't have an autoword set to everything. I could have made it even more "annoying" by setting something to be said during an attack or PA. Even then, that would be like playing an offline RPG and complaining about hearing one of your party members call out the name of a skill every time he/she uses it. "God, why don't you just shut up? Quit saying the same thing over and over again, it's annoying", etc.

Anyway, this is the first person I've encountered that had an issue with it. I've played in a handful of Japanese parties (usually just stick with English parties for easier communication), but they use autowords also. So, what's your take on autowords? Do you think this guy was overreacting or do you think his complaints were valid?

I'm assuming there isn't a frequency value at which you can "set" how often your character uses auto-words because some times they do seem to pop up more than they should however I would prefer "over-use" of auto-words than none at all. They can really give a character some flavor.

I just wish I knew how to make them, if only someone would be so kind as to make a guide on how to do so. wink.gif
    She is style
    She is grace
    But most importantly, she'll break your face <3

I don't like it. I'm not against autoword, but there should be a limit to everything, including the number of times you character's face appears on the screen (the closer it's to zero, the better). Unless it's something like a successful code or quest completion, you can probably do without a mugshot (at least), and if you have face animations set to the attacks, monomate usages and deaths, you deserve to be blacklisted, IMO.

And about your problem with that guy, it's one thing if he was complaining about something that should actually be taken to Sega, as you suggested, and it's completely different if he doesn't like something that you are personally responsible for. Be less annoying, and chances are people will get less annoyed.

Auto words, I personally don't mind so much with just text, but then I get someone who fills every single damn one with cut ins then it's just...

Quote Originally Posted by Sp-24 View Post
    I'm not against autoword, but there should be a limit to everything, including the number of times you character's face appears on the screen (the closer it's to zero, the better). Unless it's something like a successful code or quest completion, you can probably do without a mugshot (at least), and if you have face animations set to the attacks, monomate usages and deaths, you deserve to be blacklisted, IMO.
    This I do agree with, thankfully I haven't experienced much of this yet though. Save a face pic for entering a party or killing a boss. I think I would kill someone if I saw it activate upon performing attacks. >_>
    She is style
    She is grace

I set up some the other day and while I think they are a cool addition, I'm already getting tired of seeing my character say the same things over and over again. Might end up taking some off. Too bad there is no frequency slider. I have no problem with others using them though--it's cool to see some of the phrases people come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackMage View Post
    I just wish I knew how to make them, if only someone would be so kind as to make a guide on how to do so. wink.gif
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196622
    PSO2: Necron - Ship 2, Block 20-23

Autowords get quite annoying with mug shots, mainly for healing. I ended up turning off all face-cutins and most of my autowords just to not see it myself. I only have about 5 autowords set, I find them too frequent myself. I think the only thing you can do to lower the frequency is to add blanks to the other options in the hopes the game picks those empty slots and then not use them. So it may lower it to a 50% or possibly 33% chance of using one.

autowords get annoying fast especially with the mugshot cut scene going off every other minute for a code start and finish.....

Ship 2
    pso2 Character: Korra

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. (and I fail at using the search feature, typed in "autoword" and only got this thread I should've spaced it out. @_@)
    She is style
    She is grace

死にてぇ奴だけ, かかってこい!! TetsuyaHikari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sp-24 View Post
    And about your problem with that guy, it's one thing if he was complaining about something that should actually be taken to Sega, as you suggested, and it's completely different if he doesn't like something that you are personally responsible for. Be less annoying, and chances are people will get less annoyed.
    It doesn't really have anything to do with me being annoying. He may have thought I was annoying, but he said it was because of autowords. I could have just as easily said he was annoying for not following us around like he should have been or when finding a code/boss himself, just saying, "I found one. Help", rather than telling us where it actually is on the map (e.g. C-2).

My point is, it's not a game breaking mechanic. He needs to relax. 9 times out of 10, I may notice them the first time they pop up, but after that, I'm too busy actually... you know... playing the game to notice them again. If you're going to complain about something, the least you could do is make it something worth actually complaining about (e.g. lag, item randomly disappearing in inventory, someone somehow stole your items, etc.).

It's just a common courtesy thing, in my opinion. You want to use autowords? Fine. You don't? Fine. I'm not going to give you crap either way. I just expect the same kind of courtesy in return rather than have some random dude tell me to, "shut the hell up", then have the nerve to add insult to the injury by complaining about how my character looks as well (as if that was necessary).

I could be partied with a dude that screams, "I'M THE ICE CREAM MAN! BOOM!" every time he uses a PA for all I care. If you're really going to get that bent out of shape over something like that, maybe you should consider playing a game with less communication involved.