Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PSP Game Suggestions

I'm considering picking up a new PSP game (I don't have a Vita) to pass some time with, but I'm having trouble thinking of one to get. Would you guys have any suggestions for me?

I usually like RPG/action/adventure/dungeon crawlers games with more than just one or two playable characters. I usually get bored with the inability to change/switch the character(s) I'm playing. I typically don't care for first-person shooters or M-rated games. Don't like the gore in some of them I guess?

Also, it's okay if the game isn't in English as long as it isn't too hard to play without being able to understand it... Or if it has a translation guide available.

Some ideas of what I like:
    Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
    Phantasy Star Portable series
    Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
    Gods Eater Burst (Thanks to Bomber The Cosmonaut's suggestion!)
    Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy

I was considering "Final Fantasy Type-0", but I'm not sure if it's getting an English release and since it's a story-oriented game, I would like to be able to understand it's story... If it's any good.

Note: I have created a topic somewhat similar to this 2 years ago or so, should I have posted in that topic instead?

Thanks in advance!
    Best regards.
    -Miyo
    Last edited by Miyo; Jul 4, 2012 at 06:23 PM.

Valkyria Chronicles II, especially if you haven't played the PS3 original. Even though I wasn't too thrilled with the story - it has one of the best RPG combat systems to come along in this generation, and it's an experience that shouldn't be missed IMO. Even if you don't like Strategy RPGs, give it a try. It's not really "strategy" insomuch as it is about tactics. Ducking into the grass and behind cover when ending your turn, flanking enemy tanks/bunkers to hit their weakspot, using your tank as a shield to cover allies from small arms fire or backing it's weakspot against a wall so it's inaccessible to the enemy.... that kind of thing. One of my favorite tactics is to have the tank ram an enemy base since it can knock down enemy cover without using up your attack turn, then spin around to eject enemy combatants. This allows your allies to take a position without a fight and can be an effective way to "blitzkrieg" your way through a mission or prevent the enemy from sending reinforcements to a strategic area.

Last edited by Sinue_v2; Jul 4, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Thanks for the fast reply Sinue!

I've never played a Valkyria Chronicles game before. I was actually considering that game a while back, but must of forgot about it until now haha. It looks promising!
    Though, out of curiosity, how many playable characters are there?

Thanks again!
    Any other suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: Never mind my question, found a list of playable characters. There's A LOT!
    Last edited by Miyo; Jul 4, 2012 at 07:25 PM.

BRS the game imo was great, there are plenty of translation guides for it too and it's actually rather affordable now too, heck even people on the NIS america forums have threads on it.

the Phantasy star portable series is good, too back infinity did not make it out here, but oh well...neither does the Hatsune Miku games and they are fun too.

A personal Favorite of mines is God Eater Burst, and I prefer that over the monster hunter series.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyo View Post
    It looks promising!
    Though, out of curiosity, how many playable characters are there?

Thanks again!
    Np.

I'm not sure off hand how many characters there are. Well over 30, I think. You mainly take the role of Avan Harding, but while in combat you can take control of everyone you deploy. You need to build a team (there's slots for several teams you can build for specific types of missions, but I had no problems getting A ranks with only one generic team) of about 15 or 20 characters. You can only deploy 6 at any given time, but you can swap them out for anyone else on your team mid-combat. The more you play with a certain character, the friendlier they become and will eventually give you a special mission which (if you pass it) unlocks their special abilities or removes their weaknesses.

There's also codes you can put in to get access to most of the Valkyria Chronicles I characters, and if you have a save for PSP2, you can get Emilia as a partner. They don't have any special stories or dialog, but they're powerful and can be helpful early on.

Edit: Found a complete (or damned close) picture of all the characters in your squad that you can play. I don't see Aliasse there, and the teacher is only unlocked after you complete the story. But you get the idea.
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Jul 4, 2012 at 08:02 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

The psp is jrpg heaven pretty much. All the psp games I own have rpg elements in them.
    Some suggestions-
    The 3rd Birthday
    Lunar Silver Star Harmony
    and
    Persona 3 Portable

Everything else I would of suggested (Like Psp2 or Dissidia 012) has been stated already.
    Last edited by DayDreamer; Jul 4, 2012 at 07:36 PM.

Well, you've definitely got me interested in Valkyria Chronicles. Thanks for the info!
    And thanks for your suggestions too, DayDreamer! I'll take a look at those too.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Oops, missed DriftSlave's post!
    By "BRS the Game" you meant this game yes?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
    Last edited by Miyo; Jul 4, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

Unchained Blades that just came out a few days ago. that game is pretty good.
    i got in about 20+ hrs. already and loving it so far. great story and some funny
    characters. my favorite spell caster is Sylvie; she combies with Lapis can do some
    major spell damage.

just be warn though, once you start playing this game, you find it VERY hard to put down.
    it's WAY to addicting. i'm so far on chapter 4 with characters in the 30+. max level is 99
    and i think chapter 8 is the last one. the game is very long. the skill grid system is
    similar to Final Fantasy X, where you invest in skills, hp, mp, speed, vit..and etc per skill
    points. you gain like 2 skill points per level up. you are require to unchained enemies or
    basically like pokemons, where you capture the monsters and level them up. the captured
    monsters become your followers. they dont really do much beside blocking you from getting
    hit sometime or do a measly pitiful 1 damage to the enemies. they're there for the judgement
    battle where they're pit in like an arena and all the monsters just duke it to see whose has
    the stronger monsters. if you fail the judgement battles, you just have to unchained higher
    level monsters then come back and challege again. there are also rare elite monsters in the
    game, but they're hard to get; hopefully you can unchained them before they kill your parties. :P

my current party members and i guess what they do:
    Fang - he is like a normal sword fighter. he is from the dragon clan. low intelligent spells.
    Tiana - she is from the phoenix clan. she uses rapier. she is like a paladin. can use melee and magic and low healing spells.
    Lapis - she is from the medusa clan. can use high level spells and high level heal.
    Sylvie - she is from the Death Clan. same as Lapis except she doesnt have healing spells. has a lot of powerful AOE spells.
    ------------
    Niko - fox. she can use bow. i like her passive skills that let you get higher drop rate for items. i havent use her much yet. she is on the side line for now.
    Hector - giant yellow robot. i think he is a lolicon. a creep and well, he suck mostly. he is very slow but has very high defense. havent use him much as well.
    Lucius - havent gotten him to join yet. i think he joins by chapter 5. you guess to play as him solo in chapter 3 though, which was tedious and slow without
    anyone to help. good thing chap. 3 was short. playing as Lucius solo was a pain.

the game plays similar to Etrian and Shining in the Darkness if you ever play those
    game before. i like Unchained Blades more because of those attracting characters.
    and a fun storyline as well.

here is the link of the gameplay i posted and commented a little on it.
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/show...postcount=1892
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Xefi; Jul 5, 2012 at 01:08 AM.

++++++----------"." Xe's Sanctuary 09/28/2016----------- Youtube's profile "."----------++++++
    wallies edited: 4500_|_G.O.L.D.E.N_|_sigs created: 1055

^ Thanks for the suggestion!
    Never heard of that game before. I'll be sure to check it out.

I've got quite a few replies/game suggestions already! Thanks a bunch guys!
    I'll check 'em all out in more detail later when I got the time. But so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    Np.

I'm not sure off hand how many characters there are. Well over 30, I think. You mainly take the role of Avan Harding, but while in combat you can take control of everyone you deploy. You need to build a team (there's slots for several teams you can build for specific types of missions, but I had no problems getting A ranks with only one generic team) of about 15 or 20 characters. You can only deploy 6 at any given time, but you can swap them out for anyone else on your team mid-combat. The more you play with a certain character, the friendlier they become and will eventually give you a special mission which (if you pass it) unlocks their special abilities or removes their weaknesses.

There's also codes you can put in to get access to most of the Valkyria Chronicles I characters, and if you have a save for PSP2, you can get Emilia as a partner. They don't have any special stories or dialog, but they're powerful and can be helpful early on.

Edit: Found a complete (or damned close) picture of all the characters in your squad that you can play. I don't see Aliasse there, and the teacher is only unlocked after you complete the story. But you get the idea.
    Spoiler!
    Emilia comes with a couple free missions too, and there's some nice equipment for downing the aces in them. (PSU weapons, for the armored techs. And they basically beat the hell out of pretty much everything but the giant swords)

The added customization is nice in this - the first game let you add modules to the Edelweiss. This lets you basically build the tank from scratch.
    Coming Soon!