Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Peejay View Post
    A lot of them do seem to, considering in a competitive game I played, when a foreigner won against their tourney champ, they simply locked out everyone.
    That is the epitome of mad. o.O
    She is style
    She is grace
    But most importantly, she'll break your face <3

Why Do I Still Post Here? BahnKnakyu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DemonMike View Post
    Although I personally don't agree there will be an IP ban (I'm more of a "they might ban those who end up using English patches" guy"), there is a very strong case for it.
    If Sega bans those who uses English patches, but fails to ban those who are maliciously hacking the game, then I'll be thoroughly convinced that Sega went off their damn rockers.
    * 98% of people like to put character progress in their signatures. If you're one of the 2% who doesn't, put this in your signature.

SEGA won't ban IPs for a simple reason: MUNNAYYY!!$$$$

Let tme elaborate: people currently connecting to JP PSO2 from outside of Japan are, for the most part, enthusiasts; and enthusiasts, as they usually do, then to spend their hard-earned dollars and euros on the products they're enthusiasts for. In this case, that means buying AC.

Why in the world would SEGA block a group of people that are actually paying customers? Yes I realize this doesn't apply to all players, but I think it's logical to assume the paying-to-free player ratio of the English community is much higher than the Japanese. When you go through a Japanese registration, Katakana captchas included, it usually means you're VERY interested.

Which is also the same reason I doubt SEGA will ban anyone for faking their address, specially if you use SEGA's own address. Seriously people, all of a sudden, SEGA has data of hundreds of users, all registered as living in their basement, and they ain't gonna notice? They know exactly what's going on, same as when people started sneaking into the betas when it was still supposed to be JP ONRY, but as long as money flows, they don't give a freck.

Quote Originally Posted by TetsuyaHikari View Post
    Hmmm... I don't know. Let's say there are 500,000 players. You really don't think we'd even fill up 50,000 of those slots? It may seem like a big number, but it really isn't, especially for an online game. I'd say we have at least that many players though.
    Perhaps in total, but not currently active on JP PSO2.

I did some math on my way to work earlier...

Let's say we fill 5 blocks on ship 2 during our peak hours, and half that on ship 10, and another 5 on all the other ships combined (obviously, I can't check these numbers as I don't have a character on every ship), giving us a total of 12.5 blocks. x200 and you have 2500 concurrent players.

Typical concurrency rates are pegged at roughly 15-20% of the total player base during peak hours. EVE Online, for example, has roughly 375k subscribers and its average concurrent players at peak hours is about 50,000, or 13.3(repeating) percent of the total subscribers. (It's worth noting that its numbers are lower because a number of subscribers log in just to change their skill queues.)

Considering this is the recent launch of a very highly anticipated game, I wouldn't be surprised if the concurrent player count were closer to 20 or even 25% of the total active players. Launch for any such online game tends to have a HUGE spike in players at launch that dramatically drops off over the coming days (yes, DAYS).

But I'll be generous and say only 20% of the player base is online at any one point in time. That gives us about 12,500 total English-speaking players on the JP PSO2 servers.

Then let's look at the JP player base: all 60 blocks full on the first five ships at peak hours. That alone gives us 60 * 200 * 5, or 60,000 concurrent players. Let's assume the other five ships have roughly half that (but frankly, I believe they are also getting filled up pretty quickly), giving us another 30,000. 90,000 * 5 = 480,000 players.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if there were over a million total JP players. Tera managed a peak concurrent player count of 60,000 and it's a subscription-based game with an obscene monthly fee (2700 yen a month!). PSO2, being a highly anticipated F2P game, is probably going to have a lot more players.

At any rate, at the moment, I'd say we make up roughly 2.5% of the total player base. If you wanted to be generous (and I mean REALLY generous), we might be over 5%, but frankly, I really doubt we're any bigger than that. We account for so little of the server space that we can very easily be ignored.

Yea at 4am i was on and they pretty mich filled up the first 4 ships. Lol 160 full blocks compared to 8 of iurs at the most. And thats just the dirst 4 ships.
    So long Xbox servers! Hello JP PSU, Infinity, and PSO2!

JP PSU: Samus Aran lvl 180/20 GM

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post

Let tme elaborate: people currently connecting to JP PSO2 from outside of Japan are, for the most part, enthusiasts; and enthusiasts, as they usually do, then to spend their hard-earned dollars and euros on the products they're enthusiasts for. In this case, that means buying AC.

Why in the world would SEGA block a group of people that are actually paying customers? Yes I realize this doesn't apply to all players, but I think it's logical to assume the paying-to-free player ratio of the English community is much higher than the Japanese. When you go through a Japanese registration, Katakana captchas included, it usually means you're VERY interested.

Which is also the same reason I doubt SEGA will ban anyone for faking their address, specially if you use SEGA's own address. Seriously people, all of a sudden, SEGA has data of hundreds of users, all registered as living in their basement, and they ain't gonna notice? They know exactly what's going on, same as when people started sneaking into the betas when it was still supposed to be JP ONRY, but as long as money flows, they don't give a freck.
    ^ this pretty much.

SEGA is in one of the worst places it has ever been financially and the last thing they would do is not take money from foreigners handing it over to them hand over fist.
    EVGA x58 Classified 759 Motherboard, Intel 990X CPU @ 4.2 GHz
    Corsair 1200 watt Power Supply, 12 GB DDR3 Corsair
    3x GTX 480's in SLi, Corsair 800D Case
    Please Read, Connection Issue Template.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post

I would agree with you if there was a significant chunk of foreigners actually buying AC or stuff, but there isn't.

I would agree with you if there was a significant chunk of foreigners in the game period. But again, there isn't.

An I.P. block wouldn't even affect them financially. If they really want our money, they would just I.P. block us and then make an international release with our own servers.

To be honest, from what I've seen I wouldn't be surprised if there's only a thousand of us importers who are the english community. And that's being extremely fair. Might be closer to 500 of us, but it more than likely does not go above 1,000.

That being said, there's reports of numerous very... verbal and proud braggarts on our end who are using hacks.
    Last edited by Garnet_Moon; Jul 5, 2012 at 12:47 PM.

PSO2-JP: Ship 2; Bouncer/Braver, Tiana Cross.

死にてぇ奴だけ, かかってこい!! TetsuyaHikari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garnet_Moon View Post
    I would agree with you if there was a significant chunk of foreigners actually buying AC or stuff, but there isn't.

I would agree with you if there was a significant chunk of foreigners in the game period. But again, there isn't.

An I.P. block wouldn't even affect them financially. If they really want our money, they would just I.P. block us and then make an international release with our own servers.

To be honest, from what I've seen I wouldn't be surprised if there's only a thousand of us importers who are the english community. And that's being extremely fair. Might be closer to 500 of us, but it more than likely does not go above 1,000.

That being said, there's reports of numerous very... verbal and proud braggarts on our end who are using hacks.
    Yeah, you pretty much nailed it on the head there. We're not even putting a dent in their wallet with us buying AC, so it wouldn't surprise me if they willing to cut us off. Like I said before, they could give us the boot and have more JP players come in who are more willing to pay for AC, giving them more money. Let's face it, more JP players are going to be buying AC as opposed to NA players.

I'd say 2 out of 4 are buying AC in Japan, whereas 1 out of 4 are buying it here. Anyway, all-in-all, I don't think they will resort to anything like a block, but these hackers part of the English community certainly isn't giving us a good image right now, that's for sure. I actually saw a JP player screaming in the lobby earlier, "go home, stupid gaijin!" in Japanese of course.

I guess word travels fast, huh?

Broomop...man that's still around? A remember this hacker name from the first PSO =0

Probably already been said but broomop had nothing to do with this unless he made the server full of japanese and importer showing SEGA that the game is very popular and have a server congestion problem that need to be corrected with fault tolerance and failover clustering, if they are using that to handle the problem. This is a network traffic problem that needs either more servers, ram, HD, or more NICs to handle the traffic to multiple nic port for the flow of traffic will not be bottleneck in just a few NIC, hopefully they are using at least a 4 NIC server to control the traffic.