Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default weapon rarities on damage output!

okay, i've been here quite some time, and i believe the general opinion is higher rarity weapons (the red star ones) lost in term of damage output compared to the rarity 5 ones. (assuming they both have similiar grind levels)

so here's my question:

i have a +8 rare 8 gunblade, with 309 s-atk and no s-atk enhancing ability, with 18% dark element.

and a +9 rare 5 gunblade with 338 s-atk with +10 s-atk and no element.

the thing is, even though the +9 rare 5 has much higher s-atk, the actual damage (tested on cave and forest monsters) is waaayy lower than the +8 8 star one. the enemy isn't weak to darkness, i'm pretty sure of that, and the multiplier is almost the same (the 8star has 154%, and the 5 star has 152%)

so why on earth is the +9 5 star weaker, even though it has superior s-atk compared to the 8 star? and i notice the difference in actual damage is quite large, too.

did i just waste money?

Rarity has jack shit to do with damage output the real indicator is the stat requirement.

Edit: Maybe I should respond to the topic as well. The only huge variances you are going to see is where you hit the enemy. If you are going to test only test on specific hitboxes as some receive more damage than others. It's not like the 8 rarity one is magically better just because.
    Last edited by PhannyBandit; Jul 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM.

Yes, I am well aware about the effect of certain hit boxes to damage. And I made sure that the hits were done under same circumstances, as in no weak spot hit, same shifta drink, all while unbuffed. Tested on desert too, the 8 star still has superior damage output while having lower s-atk.

Anyone can confirm? Because I really need to watch my spendings.

LEARN TO USE THE PROPER SHORT HAND

Your post is gook because you are just giving numbers that don't make sense.

What the hell is a "+9 rare 5 gunblade"
    Do you mean 9* +5 Gunblade or a 5* +9 Gunblade. Further, what Model is it? The different Rarity(star) levels each have 3 models with them for non-rares (6* and below) while rare (7* and above) have several models for each rarity.

As far as your question. That probably has to do with your Ability stat. The closer your ABL stat is to your weapon's ABL stat, or what ever it is, the less of a variance your damage has. So it could be that the Higher S-ATK weapon can do stronger attacks, but because you ABL and it's aren't close enough the variance is higher and your average damage is lower.

As far as did you waste your money... probably if you are looking at only S-ATK. The Strongest weapons in the game, from what I can tell, right now are 5* model 2 weapons, which have the highest base and grinded ATK of all the weapons i have in my data.

What attack are you doing on your Gunblade?

PSO2 Hunter talent tree discussion *Please read the FAQ in the first post*
    PSO2 Repeatable Quest Guide

Quote Originally Posted by RocSage View Post
    LEARN TO USE THE PROPER SHORT HAND

Your post is gook because you are just giving numbers that don't make sense.

What the hell is a "+9 rare 5 gunblade"
    Do you mean 9* +5 Gunblade or a 5* +9 Gunblade. Further, what Model is it? The different Rarity(star) levels each have 3 models with them for non-rares (6* and below) while rare (7* and above) have several models for each rarity.

As far as your question. That probably has to do with your Ability stat. The closer your ABL stat is to your weapon's ABL stat, or what ever it is, the less of a variance your damage has. So it could be that the Higher S-ATK weapon can do stronger attacks, but because you ABL and it's aren't close enough the variance is higher and your average damage is lower.

As far as did you waste your money... probably if you are looking at only S-ATK. The Strongest weapons in the game, from what I can tell, right now are 5* model 2 weapons, which have the highest base and grinded ATK of all the weapons i have in my data.
    oh, my bad, sorry. i'm kinda sleepy and didn't realize i missed some vital info's
    the rare 5 gunblade is the 2nd model, i believe, the longer one with orange blade. and the 8 star is the one that has the green-ish energy blade "ネグリングゼロ" (from the googledoc i saved from this forum, haven't cross-checked it with it's actual ingame name) the one that has 370-something strike requirements to wield (NOT the 400 strike req. and no energy blade one)

i tested with most attacks (normal combo, just-combos, PAs)

didn't know ability affects that. will try using it again, and see the overall damage in the long run.

thanks for the answers, and sorry. (really, it's like, 1 a.m. here. hitting the logout button in pso2 is hard.)

So you have a 5*2+9. That should be the strongest Gunblade in the game as far as my data is concerned and it should, if people are right, have higher reqs than the 8*

So are you saying that the 5* Alva Hatchet (アルバハチェット) with its 250 ability requirement and 345/310 s.atk/r.atk at +10 is stronger than:
    the 8* Twizzler (トゥウィスラー) with 385/346 s.atk/r.atk at +10 or
    the 8* Sarhaling (サーハリング) with 358/322 s.atk/r.atk at +10 or even
    the 9* Cruel Coffin (クルールコフィン) which has 369/332 s.atk/r.atk at +10?
    Are these numbers inaccurate (they seem to be the same in-game), or am I missing something else here?

Quote Originally Posted by InfinityTotality View Post
    So are you saying that the 5* Alva Hatchet (アルバハチェット) with its 250 ability requirement and 345/310 s.atk/r.atk at +10 is stronger than:
    the 8* Twizzler (トゥウィスラー) with 385/346 s.atk/r.atk at +10 or
    the 8* Sarhaling (サーハリング) with 358/322 s.atk/r.atk at +10 or even
    the 9* Cruel Coffin (クルールコフィン) which has 369/332 s.atk/r.atk at +10?
    Are these numbers inaccurate (they seem to be the same in-game), or am I missing something else here?
    This thread is old. I'm sure people know that the common weapons don't out damage the REAL rares.
    Last edited by Crimson Exile; Jul 26, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
    PSO2
    テレサ Lv65-Hunter Lv49-Fighter Lv60-Ranger Lv40-Braver
    My Youtube Channel / Join the League

And yet, as old as it is, nobody answered the OP to explain him what was going on.

Rare weapons have an innate bonus to Ability. Basically when you use a 7* or higher weapon, your ability gets multiplied (players have guessed 1.25 but it could depend on the weapon) before damage is calculated.

A 5* weapon will have a damage spread of (for example) 300 to 550, yet a rare weapon with about the exact same S ATK value would do more in the vicinity of 400-550. S-ATK is not the only number to look at.
    Oserez-vous percer le mystère de la malédiction ?
    www.hinamizawa.fr