Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Hunter Skill Tree Effectiveness?

Hey guys soo stumbled onto something wierd... Rather 1. Im retarded and have no idea what S-Atk does.... or its just not worth it.. if anyone knows let me know pls.

Recently i purchased a 2nd skill tree for my hunter and decided to go all S-Atk skills to boost my abilities.(right click attacks??) This is my new tree for S-Atk. http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/...bInqnGDfGDqnI2

and Here was my OLD tree specializing in Just Attacks. http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/...2IbInqnGKcA4Qj

Now for some reason... My S-Atks (right click Abilities) do the same if not MORE damage in my original build... Which is about 17 less SP of S-Atk then the new tree i made. Im a little confused.... according to the tool tips Just Attack Sp skills DO NOT apply to my S-Atks.... But Realistically i do LESS damage when i spec into S-Atk trees.... Im just a little confused.

Are S-Atks NOT my right click abilities??? Or is their something im missing?

Thanks in advance any advice would be appriciaited

Just to be 100% im ONLY talking about the damage on my Right click attacks.... NOT Normal left click attacks

S-ATK up, if you have both to max is an extra 100 S-ATK
    Just Attack, if you have both to max, assuming you have 500 S-ATK will be equivalent if you hit Just Attack all the time.

I personally have ~800 S-ATK so JA boost would probably better for me as a hunter if I wanted to make sure I always hit JA.

The best way to explain it is...
    S-ATK defines rough damage estimate. Let's say 80.
    For every attack you swing your damage will be between 60 and 100
    Now throwing in Ability defines the range
    the higher your Ability the more your damage will move from 60-100 to 70-100 to 80-100 to 90-100, up to 100-100.
    JA bonus if i remember right increases your change of hitting a critical which is from the high side of the range OR it adds damage to that critical as a percentage of that damage
    So upping your JA either increases your change to get dmg from the 80-100 range if your range is 60-100. OR it increase your dmg by about x% so that if you have a range of 100-100 you will hit 101-120 based on your JA

Assuming you are always hitting you JA and your ability is fairly low it could be that your JA is knocking your dmg into the higher side of your damage and it is just that your ranges are all at just the right place that the JA s doing more damage.

thank u. that makes sense .... Cause it was literally seeming like the skill tree was a lie haha.... I think im like what u said on the higher end i just attack prolly 98% of the time... and all my gear is +40 Striking with +10 armors and Weapons so im assuming as you said my "Margin" for increase is fairly low. So Either way its stacked the damage looks closely similar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stegodon View Post
    thank u. that makes sense .... Cause it was literally seeming like the skill tree was a lie haha.... I think im like what u said on the higher end i just attack prolly 98% of the time... and all my gear is +40 Striking with +10 armors and Weapons so im assuming as you said my "Margin" for increase is fairly low. So Either way its stacked the damage looks closely similar

Thanks
    That's what I think, but I have long been bad at these math problems and don't quite like to figure out it works all together so you might want to wait for someone with more understanding of this stuff to be 100% sure.

I would assume that JA Bonus is 1.1 * damage dealt in Just Attack. I wouldn't really think it adds to your S-ATK when using a Just Attack, but hey anything's possible.

So S-ATK Up is better when you have low S-ATK, but JA Bonus is better when you have high S-ATK. The only question is what the amount of S-ATK is. Honestly, both are fine routes until we know, and they'll probably both still be fine when we find out.

ive tested both of these builds myself JA build is more worth it

s.atk build
    s.atk 490
    total atk 1,101 w/ max fury stance 951 without
    speed rain non JA'd 200 JA'd 260

JA build
    s.atk 436
    total atk 1,047 w/ max fury stance 897 without
    speed rain non JA'd 180 JA'd 290-300

speed rain is a partisan PA. also i have ability at 371 all these tests were using ragne lance w/ 371 atk on caves mobs .
    s.atk will do more on non JA attacks while JA build will do more on JA attacks
    Last edited by darkfalz16; Jul 14, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
    Combined signature images cannot exceed 35,000 bytes in size.

In regards to Stegodon, the reason your JA build is doing overall more damage is because it is a percentage increase to your JA's(being the attacks that you hit when the red circle come's around your and you hear that charge sound). It is a 20% boost I believe. However, if you want to do more damage with your PA's, the right click attacks, the JA boost skill doesn't affect those. It only ups the JA of normal attacks, so the left click ones. This is why DarkFalz's numbers are inconclusive, because the JA ups don't affect PA's.

The only real upside to a s-atk build is that it will overall help some of your damage output and increase your overall base s-atk which may help depending on your stats and what kind of weapons your are trying to equip.

Also, answering Stegodon, s-atk is not the right click ability but the stat's that hunters use to equip gear and it comes into play when calculating damge. It is short for striking attack.

Hope i was able to help, and if you have any more questions let me know!
    PSO2: Ship 2
    ID - psokid - level 40 HUcast
    CAST4LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by ps0k1d View Post
    In regards to Stegodon, the reason your JA build is doing overall more damage is because it is a percentage increase to your JA's(being the attacks that you hit when the red circle come's around your and you hear that charge sound). It is a 20% boost I believe. However, if you want to do more damage with your PA's, the right click attacks, the JA boost skill doesn't affect those. It only ups the JA of normal attacks, so the left click ones. This is why DarkFalz's numbers are inconclusive, because the JA ups don't affect PA's.
    I'm glad to say that this has been disproven. The description is confusing, and specifies techs even though hunters can't use techs. Everyone just assumed it meant all PA's. After someone did some testing and got consistently higher damage on their PA's, it seems that it does indeed mean techs, suggesting that hunters will have some kind of access to techs in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    I'm glad to say that this has been disproven. The description is confusing, and specifies techs even though hunters can't use techs. Everyone just assumed it meant all PA's. After someone did some testing and got consistently higher damage on their PA's, it seems that it does indeed mean techs, suggesting that hunters will have some kind of access to techs in the future.
    Ah, well this I wasn't aware of at all. That is actually very interesting and I'm glad to hear it, probably a good sign of hybrid classes/builds. Also makes me re-think a little of my damage skill tree build myself, but nothing a new tree wont fix.

Well in any case, now knowing this, that is probably why a good JA build will do overall more damage then an s-atk one. The 20% increase in damage will have a greater impact then some extra s-atk in the long run.
    PSO2: Ship 2
    ID - psokid - level 40 HUcast
    CAST4LIFE