Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast
    A Worshipped Godly FOmar Quintus_The_Force's Avatar
    With Red Ring Rico In Episode 1 Ultimate Mode End Credits Hittin The Bong In My Icon and Makin Love

Okay, I just finished reading this entire thread (to this point) sounds like they changed alot of things, I anticipate alot of adjustments ill hafta make. Thank you for your honest input fellas, all of your posts were appreciated! & Argh!... cant wait for PSO2 to release on Vita in the West (if it ever will).

Gate open!
    A place so far away yet so close at hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus_The_Force View Post
    Okay, I just finished reading this entire thread (to this point) sounds like they changed alot of things, I anticipate alot of adjustments ill hafta make. Thank you for your honest input fellas, all of your posts were appreciated! & Argh!... cant wait for PSO2 to release on Vita in the West (if it ever will).
    Prepare your self for a great combat system, terrible randomly generated levels, and client order based progression. Have fun and see you online!

Quote Originally Posted by Iroquois Pliskin View Post
    PSO2 over all is amazing and fun game, it's very unique compared to other games of similar genre, one of the best games I've played in the last bit of years, but is it a true sequel to PSO1? No unfortunately this is more of a sequel to PSU, they could of at least continued the story... but no that was too much to ask for I guess.
    Sequel to PSO only in namesake. Not really a true sequel to any Phantasy Star game from what we've seen. It's a standalone game, just with PSO's name-tag attached. Which I think is a good thing.

If we're going by gameplay, it's a 'sequel' to PSP2i, which makes sense, seeing as that was the latest PS game to come out aside from PSO2.

And PSO wasn't a true sequel to PS IV, rendering the true-ness argument completely moot.

Fact is, it's a "spiritual" successor (god I hate that term) and it cherry picks elements from all games that precede it - both in its own IP as well as its competition. It's a fun game with great combat mechanics, but simply lacks large enough maps to really feel like a true successor to a significant part of what made PSO1 great for many of its fans.

Merely adding larger multiparty areas with some more visually distinctive map sections is all that's needed, I feel. Also, first and second areas need to be more distinct as well. The desert does a good job of making them visually identifiable, with the second area having lots of artificial structures and the first area being largely natural. That's great. I'm feeling like each area needs its own unique room though, that there's only ever one of. The engine room in ruins 2, the control room in ruins 3, the explosion room in ruins 1. The lava room in caves 1, the waterfall room in caves 2, the...wait, did caves 3 even have a unique room? Still, my point stands.

Some more area-specific mobs would be nicer too. Right now there's definitely mobs that are more likely to spawn in area 2 or area 1, that's great. Garongos, Gilnas, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    Sequel to PSO only in namesake. Not really a true sequel to any Phantasy Star game from what we've seen. It's a standalone game, just with PSO's name-tag attached. Which I think is a good thing.

If we're going by gameplay, it's a 'sequel' to PSP2i, which makes sense, seeing as that was the latest PS game to come out aside from PSO2.
    Ah yes I imagine that it would be more similar to that than anything I never really played it though PSU was enough to keep me off PS games for a bit, the ideas behind PSO2 although reflect a lot of stuff that was done in PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    And PSO wasn't a true sequel to PS IV, rendering the true-ness argument completely moot.
    Yes....but I"m very certain Sega wasn't advertising PSO as a sequel to PS IV like they were for PSO2.
    PSO 2 Chararcters:
    Sniper Wolf- RA/HUnewearl main PHnewearl (current)Ship 02 (CBT participant)

Proud leader of Newearls Luv PP

It's important to note that like how Sakaguchi left Square Enix as one of the original creators of Final Fantasy, Yuji Naka also left left Sega/Sonic Team some years back. That being said, I don't think it's nearly as bad of an impact as Sakai had been working the Phantasy Star series since at least PSO DC, and probably longer than that (couldn't find much info on him, actually). But, just an interesting fact to throw out there, as Mr. Naka was involved in the original PS and Sonic games.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    I love how defensive people get when I make the shocking claim that a video game can be anything but perfect and the second coming of noone less than Jesus himself.
    Is that an excuse/deflection for not wanting/being able to actually give us the outline you speak of?

Well after reading some of the pages here I see a lot of people are putting their love for how good the game is before actually realizing how unlike PSO2 is from PSO1, I've been playing PSO since I first saw it on the Dreamcast, many of years ago I also played PSU on all servers but JP ones. I can honestly say that anyone like me who has had that much experience can agree with me that this game is more of a sequel to PSU than PSO. Of course it does bring some nostalgia to it with all the same names of classes/items/techniques around but that doesn't truly make it a sequel to PSO1...there are many problems with PSO2 that make it way too much of a PSU than PSO.
    Would you like PSO with just updated graphics and just new levels and reskinned monsters instead?

First off taking TP out of the game....that's a no brainer.
    What seems to be a "no brainer"? That everyone who wanted to use techniques frequently had to be loaded with fluids? I guess it was.

Mags, they are very unlike PSO in terms of feeding and evolution, if you want a hybrid mag that isn't completely useless you basically have to get your main Atk, & Def stat up with some ability, (unless you don't plan on using 9 star +10 weapons then you can have whatever stats you want) The evolution stages just seem so generic and linear, there was more randomness to the outcome of your mag in PSO1 despite there only being 4 stats to level.
    Mags system has changed, could you set up trigger actions for mags in PSO? No, you couldn't. I dread the times where you had to use specific classes with specific sections IDs to get the rare mags. And really, lets not talk about weapon requirements, its pretty content sensitive - we don't really know if ANY mags are useless. You can only take potshots and you will most likely be off by miles.

There's really no other modes in the game, the time attack isn't very appealing and just seems more like a speed run you'd do in a TA clan on PSU. PSO2 desperately needs a challenge and or battle mode of some form, with rewards as good as PSO1 had. Those S rank weapons were an excellent idea, being able to name them as you please, I'm surprised they are not in this game.
    In one of the interviews Sakai mentioned that they would have to implement PvP when the game will come over to Korea (or something like that, it should be somewhere on bumped.org)

The maps seem a lot shorter because you just end up sticking in the multiparty area roaming around instead of doing multiple runs, this is very unlike PSO, PSO was about run the same mission over & over again for that certain rare you wanted, not roaming the same map in hopes of spawning more monsters and codes.
    The difference is that the only thing that would differ in PSO between runs was the occasional rare monster (which are already have been announced for PSO2, same goes for rare bosses). If you ask me, restarting the same mission over and over again compared to running in circles but with stuff popping out randomly is much worse. I will pick the multiparty areas any day.

The leveling is to simplistic, the level caps are too easy to reach and Sega is trying to slow it down by putting in very tedious and annoying client orders (quests) which again, is very unlike PSO.
    How long would it take you to get to level 40? Remember, we are still at hard mode level.

Where are my Lobby chairs? rofl.
    They will propably come in either AC or FUN scratch.

The uselessness of what class you are, in other words basically you're a RAnewearl so what? you're just a ranger in PSO2, nothing special. Unfortunately there is nothing that makes you unique compared to other newmans of different classes or other Rangers of different races, in PSO being something like a RAmarl felt unique you could be a good support to your group still even while dealing Ranged damage, or a HUnewearl matched with a group of other hunters, being able to give everyone s/d, with some good heals while still being an all hunter group.
    Remember that 3 classes are still coming to PSO2, they will most likely be what you are looking for. Instead of the perks being locked to races, they are locked to skill trees. I don't know how everyone feels about that but personally I like that - its one of those things that make your character different from other characters of the same class. I'm kinda neutral on the stats, even though you can be a FOcast and the difference at level 40 isn't that big, the gap will surely get bigger with time.[/QUOTE]

Let's bring back stuff like Rappy costumes and bikini's because that's so PSO....
    Set model detail to 1 through the file config and all your problems vanish.

Casts don't have traps and Rangers have to use skill points to get them, um wtf? Reminds me of PSU where you had to be a certain class (Protranser) to use AOE traps (the other traps were useable by most people but were not really needed except for freeze traps but still not something you saw in PSO1) not race... still not convinced this is more like PSU?
    So basically you don't like changes, yes? Personally, I want to play PSO2. PSO2 in the sense of a proper, next title in the series and not something that reeks of the Call of Duty Modern Warfare to Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 transition.

ooh dear techniques.... why only forces can use them is beyond me, even in PSU the lower level types (hunters for example) could use some techniques on their weapons if they had a low rank wand or something, so why no one but forces can use techniques? that's beyond me but this is again very unlike PSO and more something that comes from PSU.
    What exactly is lacking for you? Offensive techniques? Your damage would be awful. Support techniques? You've got forces in your party for that. And again, those three classes that are coming will most likely cover this.

Having multiple classes, this is Sega's solution to level cap being too easy to reach and for those who are unwilling to pay extra for more character slots. This is very unlike PSO, in PSO if you wanted the experience of having another class you had to level it from a completely new character, in PSU you could just switch type and have your PA disks in original form so if you wanted to be a MasterForce one day all your PA disks are in your common box so you just switch them out for your GunMaster ones and there you go switching class...huh... kinda like PSO2 is now...
    And what is so bad about being able to switch classes on a single character?

So tell me how exactly is this game more like PSO than PSU? with stuff like PP, PA's, no techniques unless you're a Force,mag chains are...weird, Mags PB seem more just for damage when in PSO they were used for support to get your group amazing Shift & Deband stats, sooo can't even do that here... seriously though I'm waiting for those elitist responses that are like "NO NO NO You're wrong PSO2 is a true sequel to PSO" OK how !?!?! if all the major features in PSO that made PSO what it is are NOT in PSO2.
    So get me this straight, you would want PSO1 just totally restarted on some new planet(s)?

PSO2 over all is amazing and fun game, it's very unique compared to other games of similar genre, one of the best games I've played in the last bit of years, but is it a true sequel to PSO1? No unfortunately this is more of a sequel to PSU, they could of at least continued the story... but no that was too much to ask for I guess.
    Is it a true sequel to PSO1? It is, its titled so.

If PSO2 was essentially an Episode 5 I'm pretty sure the disappointment would be astronomical.

Nobody can even think up anything they'd do to make "PSO2" the 'real' PSO2 because they don't have any better ideas than what's being done.

Nostalgia is pretty much the cancer killing fanbases.