Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Edit: You are awesome DarK-SuN, that worked for me! Thank you sooo much!
    Last edited by redroses; Jul 20, 2012 at 02:33 AM.
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic41657_37.gif

I've used the UnLocker software to delete the files and then renamed the .BAK files.

Quote Originally Posted by DarK-SuN View Post
    What's happening is that the "patcher", when patching the files (as in, deleting the old files, copying the new ones and renaming them from "pat" to normal names), it sets the wrong permissions for some users (god knows why it even needs to set permissions to begin with).
    If you do it manually like some people have been doing, it's not setting any permissions since it's not the "patcher" doing it, it's you doing it yourself.

Here's a link with a working, non permission borked, launcher for those who can't update the launcher:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2280026/pso2launcher.zip
    And here's a link with a working, non permission borked, PSO2.exe for those who have trouble in this second update step:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2280026/pso2exe.zip

I figured uploading these would be nice for the less computer savvy among us who may be afraid of messing stuff up with permission changing stuff (or don't even have access to those permission options depending on their windows account permissions).
    Ty Sir! Fixed my problem!

Quote Originally Posted by DarK-SuN View Post
    What's happening is that the "patcher", when patching the files (as in, deleting the old files, copying the new ones and renaming them from "pat" to normal names), it sets the wrong permissions for some users (god knows why it even needs to set permissions to begin with).
    If you do it manually like some people have been doing, it's not setting any permissions since it's not the "patcher" doing it, it's you doing it yourself.

Here's a link with a working, non permission borked, launcher for those who can't update the launcher:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2280026/pso2launcher.zip
    And here's a link with a working, non permission borked, PSO2.exe for those who have trouble in this second update step:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2280026/pso2exe.zip

I figured uploading these would be nice for the less computer savvy among us who may be afraid of messing stuff up with permission changing stuff (or don't even have access to those permission options depending on their windows account permissions).
    Just to clarify something here, the file permissions aren't actually saved in .zip files and most of the time the problem doesn't even seem to be related to file permissions. I think the issue is that the updater is giving a general "can't access file, make sure that you have permission to write to it".

I never said the permissions were saved in the zip, it's done locally, but since they're zipped and copied "with permissions" set correctly, it means they could be zipped (otherwise you wouldn't be able to zip them either since you couldn't access them) and everyone else can use them without the "borked permissions" bug that affects their PC since it wasn't their "patcher" doing the work.

Just doing it to help people.

That is the thing, if the original file on the target system had borked permissions to begin with, you wouldn't be able to overwrite the files in the first place. If you did manage it, it would be down to the Windows Vista/7 verison of Explorer oh so helpfully granting you permission with the UAC related stuff.
    Also, the zip file format doesn't normally save the NTFS file permissions, if it ever happens, it is an extension and not all zip extracters would read this extra data. What's more, depending on the extractor, it normally either extracts in place (and with the borked file permissions, would fail) or extract to the temp directory and then copy to the target directory. But the Windows copy doesn't copy the file permissions along with the file, it uses what exists in the target directory. Oh, not to mention that with borked permissions, you wouldn't be allowed to write to the file in the first place, and hence you would either get the Explorer UAC prompt (which grants write access for your account, or elevates if you are using a restircted administrator account) or just fail.
    My biggest thought on the cause for this is that there is a problem in the PSO2 settings directory in My Documents that is causing all of the problems. It is just that people prefer to just temporarily download and use other people's files because it makes more sense to them.
    Last edited by Ana-Chan; Jul 20, 2012 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana-Chan View Post
    That is the thing, if the original file on the target system had borked permissions to begin with, you wouldn't be able to overwrite the files in the first place. If you did manage it, it would be down to the Windows Vista/7 verison of Explorer oh so helpfully granting you permission with the UAC related stuff.
    Personally, I couldn't, had to use the UnLocker software I mentioned in my earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by jooozek View Post
    Personally, I couldn't, had to use the UnLocker software I mentioned in my earlier post.
    Yes, and yours was one of the few cases where the file permissions really was borked. Also, since you are using Windows XP, you don't have the UAC related stuff.
    But you had found an alternate way of doing what you needed, and that is important.

Servers are a go.