Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
    My desktop theme is kinda weird.
    Love it!

After [deleting and] restoring the files [from the .BAK files] around 5 times I finally could change the user permissions. So yeah, brute force all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by jooozek View Post
    In any case, if someone got working copies of the updated pso2launcher.exe/pso2download.exe/pso2updater.exe files please do upload them. Now I got a message that I don't have the rights and Windows tells me that I don't have the rights to modify the files rights even when running on an administrator account on XP.
    Yes this is an error others have been receiving as well not sure if uninstall will even work.

After [deleting and] restoring the files [from the .BAK files] around 5 times I finally could change the user permissions. So yeah, brute force all the way.
    oh ok I suppose that worked for you then? Maybe it just some error happening with those certain versions of Windows.
    PSO 2 Chararcters:
    Sniper Wolf- RA/HUnewearl main PHnewearl (current)Ship 02 (CBT participant)

Proud leader of Newearls Luv PP

I've only deleted the binaries, nothing else. A full reinstall would be pointless as it was only the binaries playing dirty. And yes, changing the permission made it work (but it took 5 turns to be even able to change the permissions).

someone know i have that same error

someone can tell me WTH is that

http://sadpanda.us/images/1091157-L93QQT6.png here is a picture how it looks. All my HDDs are on NTFS since 2003.
    I'll give you steps on how to make sure things are working right. These are for Windows 7, but besides becoming UAC friendly, there hasn't been much change. You can normally just click buttons directly rather than having to press the edit button first.
    This also requires that you are running as an administrator.
    Finally, I'm using the english version, but besides language changes, the layouts of things shouldn't have changed much.
    One final thing, if the security tab has permissions for SYSTEM, Administrators and Users, don't do anything. The permissions on the executable files are set correctly already, and this guide is useless to you. Finally, in the parentesis, there is the fully qualified group name (in my case it is MULTI\Users or MULTI\Administrators) this will most likely be different for you since the format is <computer name>\<group>. So unless you also named your computer Multi, then this will be different. Don't worry about it though, just substitute it for <your computer name>\Administrators or <your computer name>\Users and you will be fine.

Changing the owner.

Ok, first of all, make sure that the owner of these files are set correctly.

First go to the security tab.

Click the Advanced button. And on the window that appears, click the owner tab.

If the current owner isn't the Administrators group, then you will need to change it. To do that, click the Edit button (for XP this should be the other users or groups button, so just do what the next step says.) If it is, go down to the changing of the file permissions.

If Administrators is in the list shown above, click that and then click apply. You may be asked to set appropriate permissions to access the file, in this case click yes. If Administrators isn't in the list, click the other users or groups button.

In the big text box, type in Administrators and then check name, it should then prepend your computer name to it and underline it.

Click ok. In the window that it returns to, click apply and if you are asked to set appropriate permissions to access the file, click yes.

Changing the file permissions.

Right, to change the permissions to pretty good defaults (it is how Windows does it all of the time.)

Go to the security tab in properties and then click advanced. Then stay on the permissions tab.

Since this may be bad or only have the access rights for Administrators for you right now, click on the Change permissions button. (This is also something you don't have to do on XP, just go to the next step.)

Now, the two important things to note here are the Inherited from column and the Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent check box. If that is checked but you have no inherited permissions in that list, then there is something larger at work.

Anyway, to get all of the inheritable permissions, click the Include inheritable permissions checkbox and then apply. You should now see the permissions from the parent in that list (my image has the defaults for SYSTEM, Administrators and Users, I added what I did to Authenticated Users for a reason, so that may be different.) Once that is done, delete any permissions that are not inherited and you are set.

If you then do this for any other files that are having problems, then you should be able to fix things.
    Last edited by Ana-Chan; Jul 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM.

i have all those steps still that error apear when i run the launch im w8ting until the server return..... i hope that will fix it

Quote Originally Posted by GeShadow View Post
    i have all those steps still that error apear when i run the launch im w8ting until the server return..... i hope that will fix it
    Got that message when i tried to update too. Managed to solve the last patch bug by using Ana-Chan's updated .exe files, last time the launcher was the problem...not it seems the mess is with the updater...dunno. Really frustrated here, because probably errors like these will keep persisting after each update for me...and i really don't think that after the maintenance it will work at all..

Quote Originally Posted by GeShadow View Post
    It probably won't since the updates are independent of the servers. There are two possibilities here, first, one of the files in the data directory (under data\win32 in the pso2 directory) are having issues, or secondly there is some kind of problem in the PSO2 settings files in (My) Documents.

To try and figure out what it is, go to (My) Documents, find the SEGA directory and rename it to something else. Then try to run the game again. If the update still fails then you can restore this.

In the case that the update still fails, you would need to reset the permissions on all of the game data files, but there are a lot of them. In this case it would probably be better to just uninstall the game or be subject to the hell of doing stuff from the command prompt. If it still fails, then the updater is downloading corrupt files, which is not good.

What's happening is that the "patcher", when patching the files (as in, deleting the old files, copying the new ones and renaming them from "pat" to normal names), it sets the wrong permissions for some users (god knows why it even needs to set permissions to begin with).
    If you do it manually like some people have been doing, it's not setting any permissions since it's not the "patcher" doing it, it's you doing it yourself.

Here's a link with a working, non permission borked, launcher for those who can't update the launcher:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2280026/pso2launcher.zip
    And here's a link with a working, non permission borked, PSO2.exe for those who have trouble in this second update step:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2280026/pso2exe.zip

I figured uploading these would be nice for the less computer savvy among us who may be afraid of messing stuff up with permission changing stuff (or don't even have access to those permission options depending on their windows account permissions).