Page 1 of 22 123411 ... LastLast

Default Why Are There Mostly Female Characters?

When I played PSO v1 on the Dreamcast, I noticed the same thing; bunch of Japanese guys prefer to use female characters.

Added much later: I was just curious about the f/m ratio at WOW and this is what I found, http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5271505556. After a little research, it seems Japanese prefer slim guys than masculine , hence even their male characters appear feminine.
    Last edited by Kanivakil; Aug 3, 2012 at 12:55 AM.

Err, There are many reasons but many guys seem to prefer female characters.
    "I can't save everyone, but I can at least save the people I can!" -Metaru Lvl.25

Is it really a surprise that guys like to look at females? I'd hypothesis that if the playerbase had an equal number of females and males that the ingame characters also would due to the females making male characters to counter the males making females. Who knows, theres always a higher number of guys playing these games and guys like girls.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyData View Post
    Is it really a surprise that guys like to look at females?
    You should be used to it by now.
    "I can't save everyone, but I can at least save the people I can!" -Metaru Lvl.25

just let them play what they like? does it really bothers you what others are playing as?

also, this type of thread doesn't end well. that's all i have to say. BYE.

++++++----------"." Xe's Sanctuary 09/28/2016----------- Youtube's profile "."----------++++++
    wallies edited: 4500_|_G.O.L.D.E.N_|_sigs created: 1055

I forsee a tumultuous course for this thread.

It is interesting though. Female avatars are certainly overrepresented in this population, compared to the population of other online games were your avatar is a static figure. The best I can do really is venture a guess, and say it's a result of the options afforded by PSO2's robust character creator. I'd hypothesize that interest in female avatars correlates more strongly with better creators than male avatars, i.e, people are more likely to make female avatars when they can better control how they look.

Why? Um. Well. Boobs. There's really no fancy way to put that. ...Well, I can try a little harder than that. See, in games with...let's say "unimpressive" character creators, your options are going to be classically pretty women and rough manly men. Between those options, men may be more likely to pick the one they can identify with. With a more advanced creator, a player can create a character that plays to their tastes that may go unrepresented in gaming, and who'd pass up a chance like that?

Mind you, this is nearly all conjecture.
    Last edited by Xaeris; Aug 3, 2012 at 12:38 AM.

In games like these...

Guys like girls...

and girls like girls.

I'ts what i've noticed.

Spot on.

Vulcan Taint Pincher moorebounce's Avatar

I have 3 characters and 2 of them are male. I would've made them all male if it weren't for the fact that the male casts in this game start out so unappealing to me. They're releasing better looking parts now so they aren't so bad.
    PSO2 JP Ship 2 Jazmin - HUcaseal - Team: Paranoia-Gaming
    PSO2 NA Ship 3 Orro Munroe HUcaseal - Team: Dark Alliance

1st: This topic again?

2nd: I'm bored so I will post...

3rd: I am still waiting to be able to make my FOmar from PSO...

4th: I have to blame the developer a bit on this. The developer definitely enjoyed making female characters more than male characters in the first place. Though, can't fault them for everything...

5th: Honestly, many male cast technically can't be counted as "male". But, it is a game... so whatever.