Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Rules for PSO2 Legit Player Challenge

Hello, Haseokun here. I came up with the idea about half a week ago to create a rule set for myself based on my playstyle and retrograde fondness for PSO, as well as the way that this rule set has helped me enjoy this game much in the ways I enjoyed the original Phantasy Star Online. Let us begin, shall we?
    Rules for PSO2 Retro PSO Player Challenge
    Rule 1: Pick one class and level it to Forty. Then you may change classes and level that second class to Forty, before switching to the third. You are by no means required to level more than one class if you chose not to want to.
    Rule 3: You are not allowed to change classes in order to fulfill the needs of a client order. You may do that client order on the required class after achieving FORTY on the class you devoted yourself to and have switched to it to begin/complete the order in question.
    Rule 6: Use of weapons and armor is prohibited to what you find in the wild. You are allowed to grind weapons, increase the affinity/attribute, and add abilities to your weapons and armor at the NPC, because you were allowed to Tekk items in the original PSO.
    Rule 7: You are allowed to learn any photon arts available to you, assuming you find the discs in either the NPC shops or out in the wild. Do not buy photon arts discs from player shops.
    Rule 8: You are not allowed to buy anything from player shops. ANYTHING. Do. Not. Buy. Anything. From. Player. Shops. Understand? Do not even buy clothing. If you want clothing, buy it with your own AC credits. THAT is allowed. It's much simpler to outlaw the Player Shops than it is to count on people following restrictions to clothing, MAG devices, healing items, etc. If you are allowed to buy clothing from a user shop, you are going to feel the need to buy a weapon or armor illegitimately, and will find yourself breaking Rule 6 in the process.
    Rule 8.5: Buying anything from player shops counts as cheating. I realize that shops did not exist in PSO, and I believe that if they had they would have broken the game even further than it was broken, in conjunction with the mass amount of duped items people would have sold to users who didn't know better. I understand that in this game they are meant to serve the user, but they also take away from the legitimacy of hunting your own stuff, to such a high degree that I feel the need to ban the use of Player Shops for players who want to accept this hardcore challenge.
    Rule 9: You are allowed to trade with other players because trading items was a well known past time among old school PSO players. You are still not allowed to buy from their Player Shop. Trade, YES. Buy, NO.
    Rule 11: You are allowed to accept all Client Orders and Matterboards available to the class you have chosen to play as, even if they want you to change classes to complete it. You may NOT however, change classes to complete the client order until you have leveled the job you are on to FORTY. Then you can change to the appropriate job and complete the order while leveling that job up legitimately as well.
    Rule 12: There is no restriction on Autowords or Symbol Chat, as Symbol Chat existed in PSO, and Autowords are original to PSO2.
    My hope is that any of you who have taken the time to read this find this both entertaining, thoughtful, and idealistic. I have been working all day on a specific ruleset to follow for my character which I am about to re-roll. I have used many of these rules already on my own on current character before I realized that Storage was linked between characters, and am going to proceed to remove all items from storage, and re-roll while following this Legit Players Challenge to the Forty cap.
    I will of course take suggestions into considerations for minor changes to these rules, as well as any additional rules people would like to add. I am very open minded and will listen to other peoples opinions on why a rule should be modified or not modified, but please, send me a PM if you want to express your personal opinion on an already existing rule rather than flood the forum.
    I have removed rules 2, 4, 5, and 10, as they all fall into the category of not playing with other players and caused unwanted restrictions on AC purchases which are new to PSO2. This is one thing that probably upset a lot of people initially, and after much debating I've decided to remove those rules completely and allow playing with anyone for this challenge, as well as full AC Shop purchases. I removed the restriction on AC Shops, but not Player Shops as I still feel that Player Shops take away from the Retro PSO feeling by essentially removing the need to trade items and have to hunt them down. You can buy everything you really NEED from the NPC shops. Plenty of weapons and armor that are useful enough drop on missions themselves, without needing to rely on other players shops for them. Even so, as I said before trading is perfectly ok. Unfortunately, this opens up a can of worms so to speak regarding people buying items off of the Player Shops in order to trade them to their friends, however, because trading was allowed in PSO it is being allowed here despite the Player Shop restriction. This should help alleviate peoples problems with that rule. I won't require that you not ask your friends to buy you things just to trade them to you. That is not really a rule breaker as it still falls within the new guidelines of this challenge. I personally will not be buying items off of the Player Shops, but will have no problem trading things I have found if people need or want them.
    Last edited by Haseokun; Aug 5, 2012 at 08:58 AM.

To skip a lot of bashing, why don't you just read the replies in this thread

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198188

"Legit" in gaming terms means intended gameplay, or gameplay within the guidelines placed by the game creators. Everything in the AC shop is fair game, every NPC available is fair game, everything in the player shops is fair game (I assume you recall trading for PD's was a thing, right?), and really everything but standing outside windows is fair game.

eats popcorn.gif
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic69435_11.gif
    (Location: Ship 2)
    busy getting my life sorted out.

Hi I don't get it lol

Now that's one challenged challenge.
    P S O W
    (´_ゝ`) current chars: ジョゼフィン / ジョゼフ / リノ | playerid: ponponparapara
    died to SEGAC corporate robots on 05/01/2016, never forget

EverytimeIseesomeonetryingtogetthePSOexperienceout ofPSO2Ilaughtomyself

Legit isn't the word I'd use here.

Legit only meant you didn't take duped items from other people
    This is funny
    Known as Niem on Ship 2.
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    To skip a lot of bashing, why don't you just read the replies in this thread

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198188

"Legit" in gaming terms means intended gameplay, or gameplay within the guidelines placed by the game creators. Everything in the AC shop is fair game, every NPC available is fair game, everything in the player shops is fair game (I assume you recall trading for PD's was a thing, right?), and really everything but standing outside windows is fair game.
    This clearly means you're not up for the challenge. I read that entire forum before even creating this one. For the most part all people did was bash that guy for wanting to play differently than them. The more hardcore players who actually look for a challenge like this will be more inclined to go for it. The rules are open enough. My rules are completely different, and far more thought out than that persons were. The word Legit is incredibly dependent on the player in questions perspective, and not the preset rules of the game. When you change the rules of the game, what becomes Legit changes with it.

This thread is going places.

Quote Originally Posted by Haseokun View Post
    This clearly means you're not up for the challenge. I read that entire forum before even creating this one. For the most part all people did was bash that guy for wanting to play differently than them. The more hardcore players who actually look for a challenge like this will be more inclined to go for it. The rules are open enough. My rules are completely different, and far more thought out than that persons were. The word Legit is incredibly dependent on the player in questions perspective, and not the preset rules of the game. When you change the rules of the game, what becomes Legit changes with it.
    Yep, you got me. I'm not up to your challenge.

Legit just means not breaking any rules. You might be legit according to your rules, but that doesn't make anyone else's gameplay illegitimate.