Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie Lovrina View Post
    Honestly, I prefer the current Grinding system more than PSU terribad system.
    I wrote this when I was tired. I actually would prefer if they made the system more lenient on the player. I really dislike having to deal with the RNG.
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic69435_11.gif
    (Location: Ship 2)
    busy getting my life sorted out.

"Of their own accord" Enforcer MKV's Avatar
    Somewhere, being an old man again, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by ashley50 View Post
    I myself put most of my money on my アルバビーム set (4* ARs).

Its a little weaker than the Alva Laser, but I prefer it mainly for its "compactness".

I would go for the アルバレーザー, but I've already invested most of my monies in Alva Beams and It just looks too long for my preference.
    Indeed, the Beams definitely aren't slouches, and I can totally see the compactness argument. The thing with En is, he's running around in the Colossus set (Sans headpiece) so he's pretty big, and the beams just look plain weird on him, being so short. I Just think my Alba Lasers fit the look more. (Now if only I could get that 3* color scheme on them......)
    Enforcer MkX [TE/RA]: Critically injured
    Violet MkV [BR/HU]: On active duty

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Crow View Post
    Why don't you guys do what I did? Just buy 5 star weapons, grind to 10 (quite easy) and affix only 2 abilities? Im pretty sure doing the same on a rare weapon is much harder and getting more than 2 abilities is not worth losing the 2 abilities you have. If you get a 9-star weapon then just sell it. There will be a level cap raise soon anyway so make as much money as you can in my opinion.

What i'm gonna do is just farm with my maxed out 5-star weapons and sell all the rares i get in preparation for next patch and then just get the BiS rare and max it even if it costs 10 million meseta.
    This is the reasonable thing to do, but I can't even get two affixes to stick on bloody common weapons! Either one fails, or the other, and very, very rarely do I ever get both.

I've failed so often on my 3* sword (3*!! WTF!!) that I've just about given up on it. Too much damn grief.

Excuse me, but what does RNG stan for? I know i'm probably going to get flame and trolled to hell and back for asking but I had to do it =/

Random number generator

In Optimus Curtz we trust Broken_L_button's Avatar

Having played games with similar, yet MUCH more fiendish gear grinding systems, I can get why some people find PSO2's system "good". It still doesn't excuse the fact that this current system still takes away a lot of the game's "fun" value. Copying the mechanics of other F2P games isn't a guarantee of success; if your players aren't having fun with a mechanic even though all the other games do it, they'll wound up leaving, hardcore fan or not.

As for my own experiences with this system, I've mainly brute forced my way through it and got both amazing successes (+10 rares, souls + rank2 and higher abilities on weapons and units) and soul crushing failures (failing to add an ability with a 85%+ chance of success multiple times in a row for example). In light of this, the only way to have it work for you is to throw money at it until it works, as often as possible while abusing a few tricks (having as many of the same affix as possible in the fodder pool, using AC items, abusing the crap out of mutation, etc.). And even then, you mileage may vary, which is what makes this system bad.

Also, whatever happened to extend codes?
    Last edited by Broken_L_button; Aug 13, 2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Broken_L_button View Post
    Having played games with similar, yet MUCH more fiendish gear grinding systems, I can get why some people find PSO2's system "good". It still doesn't excuse the fact that this current system still takes away a lot of the game's "fun" value. Copying the mechanics of other F2P games isn't a guarantee of success; if your players aren't having fun with a mechanic even though all the other games do it, they'll wound up leaving, hardcore fan or not.

As for my own experiences with this system, I've mainly brute forced my way through it and got both amazing successes (+10 rares, souls + rank2 and higher abilities on weapons and units) and soul crushing failures (failing to add an ability with a 85%+ chance of success multiple times in a row for example). In light of this, the only way to have it work for you is to throw money at it until it works, as often as possible while abusing a few tricks (having as many of the same affix as possible in the fodder pool, using AC items, abusing the crap out of mutation, etc.). And even then, you mileage may vary, which is what makes this system bad.

Also, whatever happened to extend codes?
    That's why I liken the whole system to gambling, you gotta have deep pockets to break even, much less come out ahead. Unfortunately, luck != skill, so what you have is a game where there is no skill required, just perseverance and massive amounts of grinding the same couple of maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizustar View Post
    No, I think it's fine as it is, and is more lenient then other MMORPG upgrade system.
    Which can and has included item breaking(Either disappear, or require a Cash item to recover) and the chance isn't that low, and with the right Soul combonation, it's possible to raise the chance to higher then normal.
    You're defining by comparison based on your prior experiences and limited knowledge. Comparing to worse in order to justify something doesn't make it acceptable or better. It's merely saying "you could be worse off, so you should be happy with what you have". I often see people using this flawed logic.
    It doesn't change the fact that these kinds of systems are flat-out bad game design. They aren't fun, they don't require any skill or challenge, the player has no control, and the system severely punishes the player for their efforts and time spent.

Chance should never be a primary factor of game design. Imagine a game where every attack you make will randomly result in a high chance of either a successful hit or a miss, regardless of whether you actually collide with the target or not. On every miss, there is a random chance to receive damage and lose money. The player has three choices: to attack, to not attack, or to spend money in order to slightly reduce the chance of misssing.
    Doesn't sound fun, does it? That's how systems that rely on random number generator systems "work". By the logic of your statement, the game I described is acceptable because there isn't a chance to instantly perish or be bankrupted on a single miss. But that doesn't justify the fundamental design issues of such a system. You wouldn't consider it acceptable in the context of combat gameplay, because you know there are games with combat that doesn't rely on such frustrating and punishing systems. You're aware that it can be done better.

That's what this is about. There are lots of other possible ways to do these kinds of systems, but game developers usually only copy ideas from each other and rarely innovate. If they implement a garbage system and force players to use it, players have no choice. Personally, I already have several better ideas in mind that I believe would work. If I can come up with some, then there's no reason why veteran game designers can't. They just don't want to, and it doesn't help when people justify these systems on the basis that they could be worse.

Doo Doo's in a foul mood, again.

Skilled Fighter

Grinding on commons and, as I like to call them, "specials" is completely acceptable.

Grinding rares is not at a point where it's worth it, yet there's enough income to make it possible, anyway.

Attribute transfering is a pain. in. the. ass. Getting X-soul and Stat-3 together on one item alone makes me want to shoot myself in the foot.

Now add ability-3 and stamina-3 and you're asking to buy out every attributed item in player shops.

They should at LEAST make it so you don't need to have 2+ abilities in order to transfer to an item that already has 2, etc.

I buy my items pre-attributed with what I want and grind them myself, unless they're already +10 (which they usually are). I don't want to deal with that hellish system ever again.