Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lightning Force

Default Lightning Force

So Ive read that fire is the way to go damage wise, But how viable is lightning in comparison to fire, damage wise.

Lightning is slower and does less damage, as the fire skilltree boosts damage for charged techs and reduces charge time. What lightning does is to reduce the PP cost of the techs, and increase your PP pool. Also, it increases the damage of JA techs, which you should be doing all the time.

Damage wise it depends. Fire techs will be faster and do more damage, but you'll burn your PP fast and you'll have to wait and restore PP with normal attacks more than often. Lightning techs will allow you to chain more of them without running out of PP, which reduces the time wasted recovering it and doing crappy damage.

Realistically, fire is better, bassically because there are more enemies weak to fire than lightning, but lightning is not that bad, compared to ice, for example, which is really useless.

From personal experience with both:

Fire techs are about dealing as much burst damage as possible in a short space of time, with a focus on single-targets and weak points.
    While the purpose of Lightning techs is sustained damage output against a single target, or effective crowd control against hordes of enemies without running out of pp.

Fire Techs absolutely dominate over 50% of the enemies in the game, including every current boss but Tranmizer.
    For any weak point you can lock-on to, Rafoie will turn that enemy into a chewtoy.
    For any weak point you can't lock-on to, manual aim with Foie has that covered.

For anything that has a weakness to Lightning, or that has no accessible weakness at all (such as the Light-based enemies in FC, which have a f--kload of hp), Bolt Techs with their lowered pp cost will pull ahead in damage and utility.
    You also have better access to Gizonde - the best crowd-control tech in the game.
    | Dextro | Ship 10 | Legion |

lightning spells have an inherently low charge time and high base power (except gizonde) in exchange for high cost. Bolt save reduces the PP cost so much they become the cheapest techs in the game.

most of them have extra hurdles to work with, however.
    Zonde: can only hit enemys close to the ground. it's also unable to zap enemies on the other side of obstacles, like pillars etc.
    RaZonde: has a hilariously tiny aoe. it gets bigger if you're higher in the air, but you still need to be practically on top of anything you want to hit with it.
    SaZonde: applies a debuff that doesn't seem to start doing any damage until they're hit by another lightnng tech.

and then there's GiZonde. GiZonde charges slower than the other techs, and isn't as strong, but it hits everything. it's the best trash wiping tech in the game.

also, shock is a pretty neat status. every so often it'll knock affected mobs down.

Zonde/RaZonde/SaZonde are pretty much useless until you have high bolt save, but GiZonde is always good.

The best suggestion would probably be, when we get the new level cap and 10 more skillpoints, it's just to invest in both.

I was actually thinking that a skilltree that looks like this would probably be interesting to play with at that time.

With lightning you get more damage per PP, I believe. Fire is just best for DPS.

Go with what you like, after something like two minutes it really doesn't make a big difference.

I plan on getting bolt PP save 10 and then pooling the rest of my PP into fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Carillon View Post
    lightning spells have an inherently low charge time and high base power (except gizonde) in exchange for high cost. Bolt save reduces the PP cost so much they become the cheapest techs in the game.

most of them have extra hurdles to work with, however.

Zonde: can only hit enemys close to the ground. it's also unable to zap enemies on the other side of obstacles, like pillars etc.
    RaZonde: has a hilariously tiny aoe. it gets bigger if you're higher in the air, but you still need to be practically on top of anything you want to hit with it.
    SaZonde: applies a debuff that doesn't seem to start doing any damage until they're hit by another lightnng tech.

and then there's GiZonde. GiZonde charges slower than the other techs, and isn't as strong, but it hits everything. it's the best trash wiping tech in the game.

also, shock is a pretty neat status. every so often it'll knock affected mobs down.

Zonde/RaZonde/SaZonde are pretty much useless until you have high bolt save, but GiZonde is always good.
    I think you got the names wrong. Gizonde is the AoE one, and Razonde is the "chain lightning" tech. Personally I don't know why you consider it not as astrong. It does almost as much damage as Zonde and you can hit pretty much everything on screen with it.

Erm, no I think you have them backwards :P Gizonde is the mid level tech that leaps between multiple enemies, Razonde is the one you cast from above and strikes the ground (or anything on the way to the ground, like maybe an enemy).

The issue with Gizonde is its very short range. If you're up close, great! If you're not you might hit only one thing.

Dafuq?

My PS-sense has been defied, then. I though the standard naming was "gi-" for the AoE "me-at-the-center" techs and "ra-" for the targetted mid-range AoE techs. I was so convinced of that that I didn't even bother reading the names when I set them on my palettes. <_<

I don't think Gizonde then, has that short range. It has definitely more range than having to be between the monsters to throw a Gigrants, Gibarta or Gifoie. Of course it has much less range than Rafoie, but then, we're talking about two different uses. Maybe it's just that I like to be close and personal to my enemies so I can smack them a good one for PP and I don't really care.

The one I don't really see useful is Razonde, then. I'm pretty convinced that they made that PA specifically so we use it with a talis flung high up in the air so it covers a wide area, but that requires TPS mode and except Foie most techs are better used with auto lock-on than aiming.

Oh, nope! The Foie tree was actually the odd one out there. The general template I felt it stuck to was simple techs (foie/barta/zonde) were single-target (with barta penetrating), normal techs (gi-) were for crowds, and hard techs (ra-) were for their special take on damage. In the case of razonde and rabarta that meant being very close, but having a high chance to apply their status effect too. Rafoie had no status effect so instead got range, I guess.

That changed with 20+ techs though, when simple techs sensibly became the high damage ones, due to still hitting one target.

Foie just had the AOE as its own version of crowd control, but due to its cooldown after casting it was kind of suicide to be actually surrounded when casting it.

That's all PSO, I don't remember much of PSU's techs but I believe it roughly stuck to the template before massively expanding on it.