Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You can use Chain Trigger with any weapon, and even switch between them mid-chain, provided you (and your internet connection) are fast enough! Rifle combo only seems to deal 9 hits, as opposed to machineguns' 10, but I guess being able to move in any direction you want while shooting is also a valuable ability.

Quick edit: I've tested this on Dagan, so some 40% of shots may have missed the target spot. If rifle's full combo is 15 hits, then I guess it's pretty good for chains. But, then again, machineguns have a Gear skill that also powers up PAs...
    Last edited by Sp-24; Sep 14, 2012 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp-24 View Post
    Zero Distance is just pitiful - 1.15 modifier at level 10. Can't remember Don't know Aerial Advance's numbers, but I'm sure they aren't all that impressive, either, plus the skill itself is situational (though there is a machine gun PA that launches enemies in the air). Anyway, I don't think those two skills are any good.

Still, as long as we are choosing between leveling up Chain Trigger and Chain Finish, I'd say go with Trigger.
    Oh bleh, I thought Aerial Advance increase damage as long as your character was in the air. Yeah totally not worth it if only affected by when enemies are in the air.
    The Storm Is About To Rage
    Ship 9
    Male Human - HU65 | FI64 | BR65
    Female Newman - FO65 | HU40 | TE65 | FI65 | BR65 | RA33
    Female Cast - RA65 | GU65 | HU65 | BR47

Quote Originally Posted by Gen2000 View Post
    Oh bleh, I thought Aerial Advance increase damage as long as your character was in the air. Yeah totally not worth it if only affected by when enemies are in the air.
    Yeah, it would've been nice considering how much we Rangers/Gunners love jumping and shooting.

/shot

Anywho. Here's all I have planned out for my build so far [based off the current skill tree]:

R-ATK Up 1: 3
    Chain Trigger: 5
    DEX Up: 5
    Chain Finish: 10
    Zero Range Advance: 5
    Twin Machine Gun: 1
    HP Up 1: 5
    R-Def Up 1: 5

And that puts me at 39 points. I'm not exactly sure how Showtime works. The only description I have is: "Exclusively for Twin Machine Guns, for a set amount of time, in exchange for increasing the rate your gear increases, your hate increases."

I'm guessing Showtime is an "extension" of Twin Machine Gun Gear? If anyone has any opinions or info about those two skills, that'd be great~

Showtime lets you charge your Gear faster, and makes enemies hate you more. Not all that impressive, but not useless, either. Or rather, wouldn't have been useless if it wasn't stuffed so far down the skill tree.

Also, if I may, I'd suggest putting more points into Chain Trigger, even at the expense of Chain Finish. 110 seconds is VERY long, trust me.

Oh, so its basically a Taunt/Aggro-Grabber that tanking classes from other games have. Well, if I've learned anything on PSO, it is that Rangers aren't meant to be tankers. So, I definitely won't be going for Showtime or Twin Machine Guns~

Chain Trigger: 10

I suppose it couldn't hurt to bump up Chain Trigger to 10~ The point gotta go somewhere now. xD I may even try to get Zero Range up higher. I spend more time going close range attacks anyways~ Though, do you know if Zero Range affects PAs, Just Attacks, or both? Only description I could find was: "Damage increases when shooting close range." Sounds like it could be JA enhancement, but still, its not a bad route to go with when using CT.

Quote Originally Posted by MissMalice View Post
    Oh, so its basically a Taunt/Aggro-Grabber that tanking classes from other games have. Well, if I've learned anything on PSO, it is that Rangers aren't meant to be tankers. So, I definitely won't be going for Showtime or Twin Machine Guns~

I suppose it couldn't hurt to bump up Chain Trigger to 10~ The point gotta go somewhere now. xD I may even try to get Zero Range up higher. I spend more time going close range attacks anyways~ Though, do you know if Zero Range affects PAs, Just Attacks, or both? Only description I could find was: "Damage increases when shooting close range." Sounds like it could be JA enhancement, but still, its not a bad route to go with when using CT.
    Zero Range should affect JAs - I mean, JA is just a regular attack / PA / technique with a 1.2 multiplier. No idea if it only affects normal attacks, sorry, since all 5 PAs that I currently have are close-range. However, seeing how at least 2 other skill descriptions specifically mention simple attacks, while Zero Range Advance's doesn't, I guess that Zero Range Advance affects all kinds of attacks.

Also, please don't dismiss Machinegun gear! Since both chain and gear gauge are built up by simple attacks, you'll benefit much more from having a gear skill! (besides, you said you're going for Zero Range anyway) (also, some of the Machinegun PAs are devastating, even if slow)

I think that Attack PP Restorate is also worth checking out. I'm gonna do exactly that sometime later and see if it's good or not.

As for Chain Trigger, I wonder what would be a good level for it. 5 is definitely too low if you fight high-HP targets often. However, maybe my idea of putting 10 points into it would be going overboard, too, since a lot of enemies can die before the chain hits 50. But I'm probably going all the way regardless, so I guess we'll know the answer someday.

And it's just a theory, but I think that Showtime is a skill designed for teamwork first, with Gear bonus being a secondary effect. It doesn't fit into Gunner's "It's all about me" philosophy very well, sure, but it still would have probably been somewhat nice if getting it wasn't such a hassle and waste of skill points.

Hmm? Why is your dex 1 at 5 ranks? I thought you only needed 3 ranks to unlock the next skill?

Quote Originally Posted by MissMalice View Post
    [FONT="Century Gothic"]Oh, so its basically a Taunt/Aggro-Grabber that tanking classes from other games have. Well, if I've learned anything on PSO, it is that Rangers aren't meant to be tankers.
    Except that's not what it is. It charges your gear faster, just at the "expense" of having enemies come after you more often, which isn't even really a problem; you almost have to try to get hit while using mechs. It's an offensive skill with the side effect of having increased enmity gain, not a taunt. If you fear enemies in this game, you're doin' it wrong.

You're also absolutely crazy if you don't get the Gear. Passing up free damage isn't the best way to go.

I regardless agree with Sp-24 that Showtime's not exactly worth having, given how far buried it is. One may be down there anyway on the way to PP Restorate (assuming one can stomach having the atrocious R-Def Up shoved down one's throat), but it's still anywhere between three and fourteen points probably better spent elsewhere.
    Last edited by Geistritter; Sep 14, 2012 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plasism View Post
    Hmm? Why is your dex 1 at 5 ranks? I thought you only needed 3 ranks to unlock the next skill?
    Nah, you need five. o.o If not, then oh well. 2 points wasted.

Spoiler!

Its not that I fear enemies. Its just... the way the description was worded made it seem like it was a Taunt~ Which if I wanted to be a tank, I probably would have just played a Hunter. o.o

Welp, it seems like I won't have to worry about Showtime. ^_^ At least not for a while~ Hm...

Spoiler!

I like your description of Gunners being fancy-pants showoffs. xD I thought about the Attack PP skill too. Though, I'm not sure how much it would actually help regenerate per level...

I'll add the point to gear and save the rest of my points for now. But so far, this is what my build is going to look like [but most likely going to change...]:

Twin Machine Gun Gear: 1

And that puts me at 34 points. I probably would have kept the HP Up 1, but I'm not exactly sure how much deeper into this side of the tree I'll be going...

The R-Def boost isn't so bad. It at least contributes to equipping rare units. Now, having to take HP Up, that's some real BS right there. 5 points for 18 HP, yeah, that's a real bargain right there.