Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Apologies for the Recent Downtime Everyone!

Hey guys,

Sorry for all this downtime we've had lately. It has definitely been the most we've experienced since our Gamespy / IGN days. What was supposed to be a 2-3 hour hardware swap a couple of nights ago, turned out to be quite an ordeal. After replacing the drives in our server, our web host tried to restore the site from a backup that was just made, only to find the backup full of holes and totally incomplete. To make matters worse, our other backups were missing the same data.

For a short while, it was looking like we were going to have to revert back to a very old backup of the site and lose about a year worth of data. Fortunately, we were able to recover the data off the old drives and we finally have everything back where it should be now.

We did manage to get a maintenance page up once we realized it was going to be a much longer downtime than expected. Hopefully, this reassured many of you that the site was in fact coming back online eventually We'll be monitoring the site closely in the coming days to make sure everything is functioning as it should. Please let us know if you find anything that isn't working properly.

A big thanks to everyone for your patience while we took care of the issue!

It's actually kinda funny if you really think on it Two extended downtime in a matter of days doesn't happen to often.

Glad to see you guys back up and I'm praying feverishly that it doesn't happen for a third time.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyleo View Post
    It's actually kinda funny if you really think on it Two extended downtime in a matter of days doesn't happen to often.

Glad to see you guys back up and I'm praying feverishly that it doesn't happen for a third time.
    Back when we were hosted on the IGN / Gamespy network, something happened to their hosted network that crippled many of the sites on it. The resulting aftermath had PSOW offline for about a month. Anyone who remembers that probably thinks a day or two is nothing, but we do still try to keep the site up as much as possible

Thank you+^_^+ that maintenance page was a much better sight to see then that 403 before, it let us know that the problem was not on our end and we weren't in trouble and that you were working on getting things up and running+^_^+ i am also glad you were able to save the data as my account woulda went poof+^_^+

Quote Originally Posted by Tomeeboy View Post
    Back when we were hosted on the IGN / Gamespy network, something happened to their hosted network that crippled many of the sites on it. The resulting aftermath had PSOW offline for about a month. Anyone who remembers that probably thinks a day or two is nothing, but we do still try to keep the site up as much as possible
    That just shows that the team who runs this site is a very dedicated team indeed. Hats off to all of you.

Welcome back PSOWorld. :3 Glad to have things back to normal for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomeeboy View Post
    Hope that never happens. Not sure if I was a member during that time (probably, I remember PSOW being on Gamespy for a while) but was during my long hiatus away from the site while PSU was running.

Quote Originally Posted by Chik'Tikka View Post
    i am also glad you were able to save the data as my account woulda went poof+^_^+
    We're glad you didn't go poof as well

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyleo View Post
    That just shows that the team who runs this site is a very dedicated team indeed. Hats off to all of you.
    It's a dedicated community that visits the site as well But yes, it's also very nice to have people like Ryna working behind the scenes to keep things up and running. I owe him like a week of sleep, so let's try not to break anything for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal_Shard View Post
    Not sure if I was a member during that time (probably, I remember PSOW being on Gamespy for a while) but was during my long hiatus away from the site while PSU was running.
    It was around Oct/Nov of 2004... lonnnnng time ago.

glad to see that things are back in order, I would like to say thank you to the staff here for your dedication and hard work to make things run smoothly. Keep up the good work

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

I'd set PSOW as my home page, since I pretty much went there first thing. Seeing a site was down page kinda suuuuuuuucked. Good thing it's back.

Don't have anything to make my homepage anyway; I'm a loser. >_>

Gotta say, I was a bit worried. Glad we're back on again! The internet is much more boring without psow!