Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    死にてぇ奴だけ, かかってこい!! TetsuyaHikari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Eastwood View Post
    Wait what? I'm confused, you don't do those linearts yourself?
    What? No. Does every artist that colors something draw the art themselves? Not all of the time.

I just download lineart that artists upload to Pixiv which can be colored and submitted as an image response.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TetsuyaHikari View Post
    What? No. Does every artist that colors something draw the art themselves? Not all of the time.
    WHOA WHOA calm down! D:

Was just under the impression you did those linearts yourself.

and yeah plenty of artists work as a team on things and do different parts of one drawing. And that would be them focusing on their strong points with each part...

But I think most artists...

Do actually draw "the whole thing" themselves.. >_>;;; <_<;;;

Did you do ANY of these alone? @_@ Otherwise I'd reccomend... well not to sound like a dick... learning to draw in general, at least enough to have a better understanding. Before you attempt to do things like coloring/shading/CGing. Even I'm not that great at it yet.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Eastwood View Post
    WHOA WHOA calm down! D:

Was just under the impression you did those linearts yourself.

and yeah plenty of artists work as a team on things and do different parts of one drawing. And that would be them focusing on their strong points with each part...

But I think most artists...

Do actually draw "the whole thing" themselves.. >_>;;; <_<;;;

Did you do ANY of these alone? @_@ Otherwise I'd reccomend... well not to sound like a dick... learning to draw in general, at least enough to have a better understanding. Before you attempt to do things like coloring/shading/CGing. Even I'm not that great at it yet.
    Lol. It's fine, really. In animation, there are people who know how to draw, but don't understand how to color, shade, etc. There are also people who understand how to color, shade, etc., but don't know how to draw.

Like anything else in this world... The only way I will learn is if I continue to practice. I understand I'm not good yet, but that's why I continue to do it. I'll get better... You just have to give me time.

I don't wanna add oil to the fire, but we are confusing some things here: Drawing/art and production.

In production, yes, the whole pipeline is split for efficiency. Examples of production are anime and manga. With manga, most of the time the mangaka is the only one that actually draws something. He usually makes the sketch and has to solve all the problems, like anatomy, perspective, shading and composition. Someone else inks and some other people put in the colors. Anime has the some sort of pipeline.

This is also the reason why I sometimes say I don't think manga and especially anime is art. The whole purpose of both media, is that they are fast and cheap to produce. Of course there is also manga/anime styled art, but in those cases, the pieces are not produced like some sort of product. In these cases the artists usually makes the whole artwork him/herself.

And yes, in order to color/shade something properly you need to be able to draw. Drawing itself is all about solving two problems:
    1. Getting an idea in your head on a canvas (of course this isn't needed when drawing from life).
    2. Creating the illusion of 3 dimensions on a 2 dimensional canvas

If you draw line art of a character, you can't just randomly create some lines, without having the knowledge of 3D shapes, which is essential while shading. People that create line work / coloring without the proper knowledge are simply using tricks over and over. The problem of using tricks, is that you will never get any better at drawing at all. You will get limited to the things you are capable of drawing. Someone who has learned all the tricks in the world to draw a female character, will never be able to draw a car, a robot, a forest or a spaceship. Someone who learned the fundamentals of drawing will be able to draw anything, with any media and can even create things that were never seen before.

So yeah, if you wanna be able to color properly, just learn to draw. Try keeping it black and white for a while. If you try to color after a while, you'll notice your coloring got better, without having touched colors for months.

Looking over your art gallery so far, each art piece differs from the other. I know lineart is pretty tricky depending on the program you use and patience. Impressive. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Quote Originally Posted by qoxolg View Post
    I don't wanna add oil to the fire, but we are confusing some things here: Drawing/art and production.

In production, yes, the whole pipeline is split for efficiency. Examples of production are anime and manga. With manga, most of the time the mangaka is the only one that actually draws something. He usually makes the sketch and has to solve all the problems, like anatomy, perspective, shading and composition. Someone else inks and some other people put in the colors. Anime has the some sort of pipeline.

This is also the reason why I sometimes say I don't think manga and especially anime is art. The whole purpose of both media, is that they are fast and cheap to produce. Of course there is also manga/anime styled art, but in those cases, the pieces are not produced like some sort of product. In these cases the artists usually makes the whole artwork him/herself.

And yes, in order to color/shade something properly you need to be able to draw. Drawing itself is all about solving two problems:
    1. Getting an idea in your head on a canvas (of course this isn't needed when drawing from life).
    2. Creating the illusion of 3 dimensions on a 2 dimensional canvas

If you draw line art of a character, you can't just randomly create some lines, without having the knowledge of 3D shapes, which is essential while shading. People that create line work / coloring without the proper knowledge are simply using tricks over and over. The problem of using tricks, is that you will never get any better at drawing at all. You will get limited to the things you are capable of drawing. Someone who has learned all the tricks in the world to draw a female character, will never be able to draw a car, a robot, a forest or a spaceship. Someone who learned the fundamentals of drawing will be able to draw anything, with any media and can even create things that were never seen before.

So yeah, if you wanna be able to color properly, just learn to draw. Try keeping it black and white for a while. If you try to color after a while, you'll notice your coloring got better, without having touched colors for months.
    Honestly? I don't buy that. That's like saying, "If you want to become a mechanic, you need to learn how to fix a muffler before you work on engines." when that's not true at all. There are plenty of people in this world that focus on one thing.

I've never been good at drawing, really. When I was growing up in school though, I always liked coloring stuff, but only with colored pencils. I could never color with markers, paint, crayons, chalk, etc. We could apply what you said with my music too though. What you're saying is, I'd have to learn how to read music before I can know how to produce it, which... Once again, isn't true.

If a person continues to do something, over and over again, it is inevitable that they will improve at it. As you can tell from comparing my latest coloring of Rikka Takanashi, the shading has improved a little, yet I haven't drawn anything, so... I'm obviously learning here, even without drawing. I understand what you're saying and you would believe it to be more beneficial for me to learn how to draw so I can understand how all of this works, but I don't accept the fact that you seem to think I have to draw in order to color well.

If that were the case, the only people who would bother buying coloring books as a kid would be artists that already knew how to draw.

*continued from PM I sent you in order to avoid flame fight because I actually GIVE a shit about the topic of art*

Still...

Your process is definitely a little unorthodox. Like you're not gonna be able to shade unless you know how the objects you're shading work in general. physically and anatomically (muscle shape depending on the pose of the character. Or the surface of an object and how much light it reflects and in what way.)

So homehow if you're... even if you're ONLY going to color... you're still gonna have to figure that out without lines...

Or... since you draw in an anime style in general... ESPECIALLY in the case of downloading someone else's open source line art. You can just look at how similarly posed pictures are shaded... But I think I mentioned something similar in page 1. Sure it'll be unnatural and probably easily frowned upon by a professional. But you don't sound like you want to be a professional.

I think it's more to do with having a grasp, mentally, on the process of conceptualizing a drawing as something 3d in your mind, then using that to extend the drawing to the shading - and, let's be honest, shading is itself drawing. You choose where to place lines and how to cast light.

So no, it's more like understanding how to build an engine and the purpose of each part when learning to repair an engine. It's more intimate than just replacing a gear; it's gaining an innate understanding of why that gear is put there that they're suggesting you try. It isn't mandatory by any means, but it becomes a more intuitive process because you have a deeper understanding of it.

Sure, many people that color in drawings can't draw well, and there's absolutely more to coloring than just knowing how to draw - such as finer details of a program and various techniques you can only pick up by practicing - but somewhat dabbling in drawing will help you immensely with how to intuitively shade something.

Don't look at me for advice though, I can't draw worth a god damn. I just use this method when learning various other things. Learn the basics, then the rest will fall into place on top of it. Math, science, programming, etc. If you understand the how and why, the what becomes very intuitive. It's a very natural method of learning.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    Learn the basics, then the rest will fall into place on top of it.
    Pretty much this bad news is what you're gonna have to keep in mind for ANYTHING you want to learn/get better at.

But don't make the basics unfun. if they weren't actually fun or at least worth it. Then they wouldn't be where most people who are good at something started.

Actually whoa. speaking of coloring, shading, anatomy and poses...

Like any other artist I'm a fond collector of god tier reference.

http://www.daz3d.com/products/daz-st...-is-daz-studio
    Last edited by NoiseHERO; Oct 21, 2012 at 02:28 AM.

Well, once again... I understand where you guys are coming from. It's not as if I'm just going, "Well these guys don't know anything.", "That's retarded.", etc. Look, I get it, and I appreciate the advice, and whatnot, but I have no intention of learning how to draw. I'm going to continue to go down this road I have chosen.

I understand it's an unorthodox method, but you're also talking to a guy that learned how to play his keyboard by ear. I'm autistic. Things don't exactly come natural to me as it is. My brain just isn't wired to work that way. I can learn, but you just have to give me some space and let me do it on my own terms.

I'm an amateur voice actor as well, so your logic kind of applies how I feel towards that. You don't have to take theater classes to become a professional voice actor, but taking part in them will certainly help you have a better understanding of your voice and how to control it. However, if you never take any classes for theater, that doesn't mean you will necessarily be any worse off without them. You could be just as good even if you had taken them.

It might just take you a little longer. See, that's the great thing about art in general, really. There's really no wrong way to do something. It's all up to you. Even if the Director doesn't think your voice is suitable for a role he has in mind, it doesn't mean what you are doing is wrong. It just means your voice is more suitable for a different role.

The same thing can be said for my coloring or music. I can make whatever I want, however I want. That is the freedom one has an artist. There may be guidelines on the surface, but deep down... You will create your art with your own set of "rules" that will make you different from other artists. Some live by the book, others don't.

Neither party is wrong in their choice.